Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY linkages-Remember, remember (the 5th of November)  (Read 2240 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
DIY linkages-Remember, remember (the 5th of November)
« on: September 06, 2019, 12:59:54 pm »

Once when making up the servo/tiller arm linkage, I found myself short of some suitable wire.  That is of a suitable diameter to fit into the holes in the arms, stiff enough not to flex under load but easy to bend into shape.

Having no handy model shop nearby stopped me nipping out to buy some "piano wire" these shops always seemed to stock.  Luckily, Mrs Guest needed to go to the local supermarket and so provided a solution to the linkage problem.  It was just before "Bonfire Night", which for the sake of overseas members I'll explain is when we in the UK celebrate the failure of one Guy Fawkes and his gang to blow up parliament along with the King and politicians it contained back in 1605.  This involves setting off fireworks and burning an effigy of Fawkes on a bonfire.

The supermarket was selling fireworks and my thoughts immediately turned to buying a packet of sparklers.  Again for anyone unfamiliar, these consist of a metal wire which has a coating that when ignited burns with a modest shower of sparks. When the coating burns out you are left with an unburnt but handy length of wire.

I bought a pack of large and small sparklers and, after the grandchildren had their fun, I had some lengths of wire 1 and 1.5 mm in diameter.  This wire was much softer than piano wire but still suitable for single linkages on smaller models.  If double (closed loop) linkages are used then this wire is suitable where more force needs to be applied.  Neat "Z" bends can be made in this wire too.

So thanks to Mr Fawkes, my linkages could be made.  But, please no comment on whether someone ought to try repeating his plans on today's crop of politicians.

Glynn Guest

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Remember, remember (the 5th of November)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »

Don't forget the 6th of November either - that's the day some of us go out scouting for the 'spent' rockets. That's another source of free wood  O0

Regards,
Ray.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 04:10:52 pm »

Don't forget the 6th of November either - that's the day some of us go out scouting for the 'spent' rockets. That's another source of free wood  O0

Regards,
Ray.

Yea I used to do that when they had a firework do near me I found upwards of 50 or more of rocket stick's which I used in the  build of my Nimitz aircraft carrier as some of the rockets were big one's  an the stick was about four ft long by half an inch square an I have still got some in my shed  today to use on my tiger build
 :-)) chris

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 10:17:58 am »

Beware collecting sparkler rods too quickly - they get HOT and stay HOT a long time after they have stopped glowing.  A medical friend once told me that the most common burn injury around bonfire night was from used sparkler sticks picked up too soon.
 For linkage on small boats I like my stock of nickel silver "handrail wire" - it is disinclined to rust and is flexible while not being too flexible if reasonably well supported.  For boats where more grunt is to be transmitted, stainless steel bicycle spokes work well, even though the arm holes need to be eased a bit.  They don't rust (important for salty water sailers) and the pre-formed bent over end with the nipple on the end is very useful.  Not as cheap as recycling sparklers, but not at all expensive.  But a good pair of cutters is needed, shearers rather than nippers.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 01:50:31 pm »

Bicycle spokes are a pretty good source for linkages.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 12:13:48 am »

after a windy spell, look out for discarded umbrellas that have gone inside out, , again a lot of wire, and if lucky enough, you might find one with carbon fibre rods!

My son when leaving Leeds music festival 2018 and 2019 was under strict instruction to get as many carbon fibre tent poles as he could carry!

we are a Tight bunch  :}
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.