Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Arizona paper model 1/250 scale  (Read 21849 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
USS Arizona paper model 1/250 scale
« on: September 07, 2019, 03:55:29 am »

Hi Folks,
Well, I finished my Mayflower build and have moved in to my next project.  I have always been interested in paper or card models and came across the USS Arizona at 1/250 scale.  Not so long ago, I built a plastic model of the Arizona at 1/200 scale and sold it.  I really didn't want to part with it, so the chance to build another one at a fraction of the cost, peaked my interest. So, here we go.  I ordered the kit from Ebay and not long, an envelope arrived, stuffed with 30 or more sheets of colored parts that needed cutting, folding and gluing.  Also were included several 1mm sheets of card stock which are used to stiffen frames and other parts requiring more strength.  A set of printed instructions with sketches show how to assemble.... well sort of.... I quickly realized that I had just bit off more than I can chew.  But, I have always loved a challenge, so I took this on with gusto. {:-{  Cutting and folding must be precise, or the fit will be off in assembly.  Having recently built the plastic version of the Arizona did help with layout and look of this famous battleship of WW2, sunk at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.  i carefully reviewed my instrucitions and got some tips off the internet and have started, first with thickened spacers for the bulkheads, then the false deck and bulkheads from sheet #1 that had to be glued to that 1mm card stock to stiffen.  I'm using a #11 xacto blade and steel straight edge to do my cutting.  It is a very slow process I'll tell you and I feel that if I do complete this build, its going to take an enormous amount of time.  But, hey... time I have, so lets get cracking.  Pictures show some of the supplies for building this paper model.  Hope you all enjoy it.  Of course, this one will never see the water (can you imagine).  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Arizona paper model 1/250 scale
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 03:55:56 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 03:56:23 am »

more.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 07:22:27 am »

This looks really interesting Dennis. I am looking forward to your progress...

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:35:03 am »

Seven sheets have been glued onto 1mm card stock prior to cutting out forms, keel, etc. to assemble hull.  I am using a white glue, water based called "Tacky Glue" by Aleen's.  Got from Ebay, but want to source locally as I will be using alot of it. Glue comes in various kick speeds and strength, plus drys clear.  I'll be using a number 11 xacto knife and steel straight edge to do most of the cutting.  I used a rubber roller to spread the glue evenly.  Arts and Crafts folks.  Dennis

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 12:54:02 pm »

Good luck Dennis, I tried building the last great Battleship launched HMS Vanguard and found it incredibly hard.

Bob
I will finish this model

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 03:42:05 pm »

I think you are most correct Bob, the further I get into this project, I am discovering that I got conned.  The pictures presented by the company selling the kit are not the same as what is supplied, they would have to be of a scale of 1/100 to give the results in detail shown.  The railings alone cannot be rendered in 3D at the scale provided.  I have done some deeper research on the internet and have found this to be true.  I only paind $40.00 US, so I'm not out that much, but I am saddened by the outright deception presented here.  However, I am not one to throw in the hat just yet. No harm in making a noble attempt building this thing to see just how bad it is, or good.... who knows.  Its giving me something intersting to do for the moment.  i've got alot of modeling under my old belt and my hands and eyes are still good, so lets give it a shot  >>:-( ..... worst case is the burn pile.  I could also request my money back as  well.  But, I want to give it a chance.  Dennis

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 05:14:43 pm »

Dennis
My feelings as well, also the kit I had did not give you to much advice on building, lots of exploded drawings.
Still onwards and upwards as they say, will be watchin totally fascinated

Bob
I will finish this model

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:18 pm »

Could I ask which vendor you bought from or if there was company name on the sheets you were sent. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »

No company name, just this:
Scale 1:250 USS Arizona BB-39 Battleship DIY 75cm=30" Long Card Paper Model Kit[/t][/t][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/t][/size][/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]
[/t][/t]
Price: $39.99
Buy it now
Watchers: 234
Quantity Remaining: 2
[/size][/size][/size][/font][/color]
Free Shipping[/size][/size][/font]
Buy it now[/b][/size][/size][/font]
[/t][/font][/color]
[/size][/size][/size][/font][/color]
Get to know the seller nijigen-world

I don't know if this is the company name.  I am certain that picture is "not" one of his completed kits.  If I can finish this kit, I will take a picture to compare.  Dennis[/t][/t][/l]
[/font]

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 08:40:52 pm »

Sri, the picture would not post.  Beware.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 01:02:43 am »

Roger that Derek, I discovered it later.  Now, those pictures shown in that ad, I found the exact same ones taken by another builder who had posted his build on another sight, claiming that he had adjusted the scale to 1/100 in order to obtain the exacting detail in paper.  He  claims they are photos of his model.  I want to be careful not to go accusing this kit manufacturer of stealing pictures, for all I know, he purchased the rights, but what I can tell you is that I will never get the results shown from this kit.  The scale I am building at is way too small to get 3D railings as shown in those pictures, unless I go with photoetch.  An interesting challenge, I suppose I could stop now and request my money back, but curiosity has got the best of me to see what kind of model I can produce.  I guess we now have pictures to compare as soon as I go 3D with mine.  I've never built in paper before, so we will see.  Dennis

xanthar

• Shipmate

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 03:26:46 am »

Could be... did not know about Digital Navy.  Now, if my model can turn out as nice as what those pictures show, I'll be very pleased.  Only one thing.  The railing is nothing like what I have in this kit. (I'll get a pic to post later).  Those railings sure look like PE to me.. too perfect to be paper.  I know I could never cut them out that cleanly at that scale.  I have some left over PE railings from other kits that might work for this model.  Back to cutting.  Dennis

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 09:33:54 am »

That looks a lot like Digital Navy's Arizona model.http://www.digitalnavy.com/USS-Arizona.html

I'd agree.  It's a good chance that you've were resold a version of DN Arizona which was printed out to the wrong scale. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:17 am »

Could be... did not know about Digital Navy.  Now, if my model can turn out as nice as what those pictures show, I'll be very pleased.  Only one thing.  The railing is nothing like what I have in this kit. (I'll get a pic to post later).  Those railings sure look like PE to me.. too perfect to be paper.  I know I could never cut them out that cleanly at that scale.  I have some left over PE railings from other kits that might work for this model.  Back to cutting.  Dennis

I think Tom's Model works and Gold Medal Models do generic railing sets for 1/250 American warships There may even be set available for Arizona at this scale.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 05:36:07 pm »

Yes, I have contacted DN and told them of my situation.. haven't got a reply yet.  they have some different approaches on their card kits and a cheaper price for the Arizona... i just might go with them.  But I agree, I will probably use the extra PE railing I have that works for scale and buy what more I need.  Tks for the help on this.  I'm moving ahead with this project and am in frame now.  We will see.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 11:23:58 pm »

Lower hull bulkheads are now installed.  Lower deck is upside down, tacked to a straight wood plank covered in plastic wrap.  Small straight right angle parts are spacers that are glued in between bulkheads (#7 is installed)... this will keep the frame even and strengthen it as well. So far so good.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 05:21:35 am »

All spacers between lower bulkheads have been installed.  It is amazing the strength that has been gained by adding these right angle struts.  The hull will be rotated when all is dry and upper hull section added in much the same way as lower.  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 11:11:49 pm »

Part of me is shouting to get some ply and build a 1:196th scale RC model using the kit as a template Dennis!! card is surprisingly heavy, and strong also. Keep up the good work!
Pond weed is your enemy

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2019, 03:43:41 am »

Oh, don't think I haven't given that idea some thought. For paper, this thing is built like a tank. Actually, I'd love to build another Arizona in plastic at 1/200 scale (Trumpeter kit) and put it to RC.  Got to get through this paper monster first.  Ok, aft deck is glued on, you can see the strut supports running through the hull, top and bottom to keep bulkhead alignment true.  As long as my cuts are accurate, she goes together very nicely.  Very difficult to understand logic in plans, but careful reading and re-reading has got me through most of this beginning stage.  They were not clear about giving me extra parts to do a waterline version, so I cut a bunch of bulkheads, etc. out when I didn't have to.. oh well, just resulted in sore fingers  :(( , but good practice I suppose.  Its pretty neat seeing instant decking and color go on.  This model will not be nice and clean, due to uneveness of framing underneath, etc.  But, stand back and she looks fine. ok2 .  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 10:57:44 pm »

Tabs are on and hull plating has begun.  One of the issues of paper models is keeping the hull fair.  Paper is paper... we will just call those depressions "dents" from hard use at sea.  All seam lines will be touched up with paint.  Hull shape appears to be mostly correct, so I am encouraged about that.  I will be adding hull reinforcement straps along the hull, 3 lines on each side per plan.  I will be taking liberty to add details where I can, including PE.  Dennis

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 11:03:02 pm »

Your determination is to be admired Dennis, I'm sure you will see this one through to the end  O0 .

Regards,
Ray.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 01:13:04 am »

Thank you..... for $39.95 US, I've never worked so hard on a model in my life.  I hope it turns into something nice.  I hate to work for nuthing. >>:-( Dennis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.