Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Arizona paper model 1/250 scale  (Read 21845 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: USS Arizona paper model 1/250 scale
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 04:17:52 am »

Well folks, I'm almost embarressed to post these pictures.  This model is just about putting me to my knees :embarrassed: , but I am determined to see this through.  Parts are so small, I'm having trouble controlling and gluing them.  Paint and some trimming will help I suspect.  Either I've got to get my act together or just do what I can and when its done, its done.  Purpose?  Is to keep me busy in my old age, a challenge and something to do and it isn't breaking the bank.  I suspect it will take a good part of this winter to complete it.  Then, I'll probably sink it or use it as target practice (have to be careful what one says these days).  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 04:18:10 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 04:18:42 am »

more.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2019, 01:33:46 pm »

Many years ago I tried to build a card model of "Scheswig Holstein" and gave up because it was too hard. I'm pretty sure there is a knack how to build them as I have seen some excellent articles but in my (limited) experience I found them extreemly difficult to construct, so well done in persevering! You should be commended for your efforts.

Don't loose faith, because it is a battleship, and all battleships are great!

Cheers

Geoff

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2019, 06:16:02 pm »

Thank you for that inspiration Geoff,  I'm not going to give up. We will see what the end looks like.  I have done alot of modeling over the years and I have to say, this has been the most challenging and its only paper  %% .  Dennis

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2019, 10:58:14 pm »

I am sure it will finish up great Dennis. Apart from their use as templates as mentioned above, I have never been a fan of paper models, but do appreciate the finished models given their intrinsic peculiarities.
Pond weed is your enemy

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2019, 05:17:05 pm »

Dennis following this avidly, been looking on card model site and the one thing that strikes me is the hulls don't seem tov have the joins that you have and I found when I attempted on, I know that they are built by professional modellers but what's the trick?

Bob
I will finish this model

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2019, 07:36:29 pm »

Card models seem especially popular in the Eastern Europe and Germany.  A lot of the really good models come out the Germany.  In Russia and Eastern Europe books of card models were sold at news stands.  It's possible that in austere times they were the only affordable option for model builders. 
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 07:51:12 pm »

It most definitly takes an aquired skill level.  Without proper support underneath, paper will wrinkle or buckle.  I tried to pre-shape the hull panels and that helped some.  Precision cutting and alignment is key, no room for error.  I am painting the hull below the waterline and have added support strakes along the hull, which was the case on the real ship.  Pictures coming as its actually starting to look somewhat better and I'm getting happier  ok2 .  Have to admit, this is the best bang for the buck and is keeping me involved. Something I discovered too late was that my main deck should have been doubled to 1mm, the instructions did not state that, so I didn't do it.  One must read the instructions very carefully, study the concepts, consider added supports and the fact that they have designed in the added thickness of doubled paper.  Its quite a puzzle and I know I'm going to do another.  Also, I will be using PE to inhance the details, such as railing.  regards, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2019, 04:39:50 am »

All four screws are on, plus rudder.  Hull painting will be finished soon.  I'm pleased with how the screws turned out... frankly, how do you make a paper screw? Well, I found out. Shafts are brass, kit recommended wire.  I can take some liberty I guess.  Paint will be used judiciously as the model progresses.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2019, 04:40:21 am »

more

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2019, 04:40:54 am »

more.

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 03:34:20 pm »

Don't forget to colour the bare card edges as you go along. Get them to blend in with the rest. I'm following with interest, as I have a couple of card models in my stash ready for the appropriate time.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2019, 04:19:36 pm »

Roger that.   Goodluck on your card projects.  I'm curious the sources of your kits?  Tks,  Dennis

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 06:27:18 pm »

If you look at the polish mag thread it shows a couple of card / paper models in the thread.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 11:49:19 pm »

First coat of bottom paint down, starting to populate the various deck fittings, funnel and bits.   The bits will go around the perimeter of the main deck, are quite fiddly with 5 parts to cut out and glue to make them up.  Main chain cheves are made and placed, winches next after I get those bits made and mounted, still another coat of bottom paint. Need to scratch build the bilge keels.  One pesky thing about a paper model, paper bends when you run it into something, so handling the model requires constant attention to care and placement... good part is that it all bends back into place nice enough, within reason.  What can I say.... {:-{  Dennis

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »

Roger that.   Goodluck on your card projects.  I'm curious the sources of your kits?  Tks,  Dennis
I've a varied selection, some german or polish ones via Marcle Models, and some from the Paper Shipwright (David Hathaway) of pre-dreadnought vessels. About ten in all, should keep me going for a few years.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2019, 12:27:54 am »

Well, I did a real mangle job on the aft catapult.  This was my first attempt at cutting out the black areas between the framework, to open it up.  Mistake, it weakened the structure so much that it became very fragile to fold and glue up.  Another kit maker suggests cutting out the basic structure and gluing up first, then cutting the areas in between.  Good luck with that.. don't see how it would work. you would mash it just taking a blade to it.  Afraid I will just have to leave it black in between to gain as much strength as I can.  For this baby, I will insert fine wire for support and try to straighten the frame out a bit and cover with some paint.  Its all I can do for now.  Makes me wonder what is coming next.  I'm working on the small bits and pieces that go on the main deck right now.  Dennis

xanthar

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2019, 01:34:59 am »

Well, I did a real mangle job on the aft catapult.  This was my first attempt at cutting out the black areas between the framework, to open it up.  Mistake, it weakened the structure so much that it became very fragile to fold and glue up.  Another kit maker suggests cutting out the basic structure and gluing up first, then cutting the areas in between.  Good luck with that.. don't see how it would work. you would mash it just taking a blade to it.  Afraid I will just have to leave it black in between to gain as much strength as I can.  For this baby, I will insert fine wire for support and try to straighten the frame out a bit and cover with some paint.  Its all I can do for now.  Makes me wonder what is coming next.  I'm working on the small bits and pieces that go on the main deck right now.  Dennis

Am I the only one looking at that part and thinking it needs to be 3D printed?
Also you are making me want to try this.  So much so, that I'm thinking of picking up the one from Digital Navy.  Thanks for documenting and sharing your progress.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 03:00:46 am »

Afraid I will just have to leave it black in between ...  Dennis

Just a thought. Instead of using black, if you use the same color as the surrounding area of the model, it will blend in better and be less noticeable.

The model is already looking very good  :-)) :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 03:37:01 am »

Yes, PE would be the answer and I am using some left over PE from other kits for ladders, stairs railing, etc.  Whatever will work to enhance the detail.  I am working on the mid second level section now.  Pictures to follow.  I have also intalled the aft catapult crane and am pretty happy with results.  Either I'm getting better at this or the kit area is better rendered.  Well worth the effort folks.. do give it a try.  I get the impression that  Digital Navy produces a better kit.  They have instructions for what they call 3D paper etch.. the idea is to prefold and glue the part from 2D to 3D, then cut out the areas between the girders.  I have not tried this, and frankly do not see how that would work, even with a very sharp number 11 blade. I think the first few cuts might work, but as the structure loses its internal strength, stability will result in destortion and crushing at this scale, unless the grid can be supported somehow.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 05:09:37 am »

Well, here we are folks, starting the base of the superstructure, mid section 5" cannon turrets.  I'll be using brass tubing for the barrels instead of the thick wire the kit calls for.  This time I doubled up the deck thickness to 1mm per plan and got better results for sure.  Should have done that on the main deck, but plans did not call for it to be doubled.. I'm smarter now. Dennis O0

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 05:10:04 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 05:10:33 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:24 am »

level four has been achieved.  Adding PE ladders and starting on some PE railing to enhance detail. So far so good.  Using brass tubing instead of rolled paper. (I know, I'm cheating).  Dennis
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.