Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On My Boat  (Read 2659 times)

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat: Richardson Tug & KD Perkasa
    • Aberdeen Model Boat Club
On My Boat
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:43:12 pm »

I have 2 motors on there own ESC's now on my futaba left stick is throttle for one motor and right stick forward and back is my 2nd motor.

My question is can I have both motors running off of just the throttle stick on my left side, like mix the right stick to match the movements of the throttle stick, my setup is a T6K - 8 Channel.

Hope someone can help with this.

P.s I've been reading and It looks like the BEC Y-connector and pulling one of the power pins from one of the BEC's is the ticket, anyone know where I can buy a BEC  Y-Connector in the UK that I need so that both ESC BECs will join into a single channel on the receiver

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: On My Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:37:31 pm »

Yes, you can use a mix to control 2 channels (the two that the ESCs are connected to) from one stick on just about any computerised transmitter. That's what I do using my Futaba T7C - 2 motors/ESCs on 2 separate channels, then set up a permanent (not switched) mix to make both motors run from the left stick.

It can also be helpful with the steering to use more mixes to add a bit of right motor to left rudder, and left motor to right rudder. Just set up 2 mixes to add, say, 30% of the motor channel to the rudder. Mixes like this are proportional, so more rudder stick means more motor, with full rudder giving 30% motor in this case. More modern transmitters can do even fancier mixes, not just straight on/off and proportional. With my radio, I have the rudder/motor mixes controlled by a switch, so I can turn them off if I want to.

On the Futaba that I have, you can have several mixes running at the same time with no problems - they all work as you would expect them to.

On my twin-motor Riva I used channel 5 for the second motor/ESC. That way there's no danger of powering one of the motors if the right stick is moved inadvertently.

No need for a BEC Y cable, just pull the red wire from one of the ESC plugs. If you are not comfortable doing this, use a short servo extension with the red wire snipped.

I was talking to a couple of way more experienced modellers at the lake this morning (I've only been into boats for about 6 months - planes and cars before that), and it's surprising how many guys have splashed out on fancy computer radios, and never use the features that they've paid for.   I think it might be a good idea to run a "how to set up mixes and stuff" workshop when the weather gets bad.   Something that really surprised me was that a couple of guys have fitted mechanical stops on their transmitter sticks to limit sail servo travel, when the Tx can do that for them by adjusting the endpoints.

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 03:48:29 pm »

That is perfect news Clockworks.

If you dont mind answering just one more question, I'm looking at using the throttle as master then Elevator as slave is it right to set that as full throttle = +100% on Aileron and for full Down on throttle or full reverse thats -100% on Aileron mix ?

As the current setup is left stick dead center 0% then its full forward 100% and full backward is -100%

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:56:58 pm »

That sounds right, but you may have to swap the plus and minus - depends if you have used the "servo reverse" on either channel. Do you mean elevator channel?  It's safer to use ch5 rather than the aileron or elevator channels though...

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:00:16 pm »

Ok so move to channel 5 but how do I move the Elevator to channel 5 ... Please give me a few seconds i'm uploading photos

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 04:18:42 pm »

Here's how I have set up my twin motor:

Motors on ch 3 and ch5, rudder servo ch1

P-Mix1: 
ch3 to ch5
RT  +100%
     +100%
Mix: on
Master: ch3
Slave: ch5
Switch: _

That gets both motors working from the left stick, forward and reverse

To add motor to rudder for better turning takes 2 mixes:

P-Mix2. ch1 to 3

RT: +25%
      0%

Master: ch1
slave: ch3
Switch: A

P-Mix3  ch1 to 5

RT: 0%
     -25%

Master: ch1
Slave: ch5

Sw: A

That adds motor to rudder, and can be switched on and off using switch A. Needs 2 mixes on my radio, because it's quite old and a mix can only handle 2 channels (master and one slave). I think more up to date radios can have 3 or more channels in a single mix.

Note that I have channels 3 and 5 set to "reverse", channel 1 set to "normal"

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 04:20:22 pm »

Looks like your radio is a lot fancier than mine - no graphs on mine

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:26:09 pm »

To be very honest as long as I can get both motors to run correctly via the left throttle stick i'll be a happy man, I was wondering what might happen if I was to while turning on the rudder right stick if I go forward or back by accident does this then still control the 2nd motor

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 04:31:18 pm »

That's why it's better to use ch5 for the second motor - no chance of triggering it if you accidentally pull or push the rudder stick forwards/backwards. ch5 is normally controlled by a switch, rather than a stick or by the little rotary knob. I think by default on Futaba radios it's unassigned. If you left the second motor on the stick channel, then yes, it would still come on on its own if you moved the stick

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

ok many thanks will try this setup next time at the pond ... Many thanks Clockworks
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.