Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello, I am new, advice needed.  (Read 3280 times)

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hello, I am new, advice needed.
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:31:05 pm »

Hi,

I am new here, thank you for welcoming me to the forum.  I have just completed building Mountfleet’s River Queen.  It is a very clean looking model and looks like it has just come out of the showroom.  This leads me to my first question, where do you buy things like scale cables, tools, ropes and other deck stuff?  Is it a matter of scratch building and individual ingenuity? 

My second question is about my next build is going to be Caldercraft’s Milford Star.  When I built my last model it would have been handy to have something like a Dremmel multi-tool, just to help with cutting out things like the scuppers, deck openings etc.  I could also use it for small drills, my concern is maintains control, as the Dremmels seem to have a high rpm at their lowest setting, 5000 rpm.  Am I being lazy or would it be a good investment?

Once again thank you, I have already started looking at the Milford Star threads, all help and advice greatfully received.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello, I am new, advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 12:47:43 pm »

Welcome aboard!  Mountfleet's River Queen is to 1/24th scale so if you look at figures design for 1/24th scale or 75mm you'll probably find accessories designed to used with figures.  Garage mechanics and so on are always a source for tools. A favourite of mine is https://www.sanddmodels.co.uk/products_24_accessories.htm  They also have 1/24th Victorian figure which are perfect for tugs but you need to watch out as they are white metal so increase top weight which could make your boat roll a little.  HTH
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 12:49:04 pm »

Welcome aboard.
As a scratch builder, I am not sure where you would buy all those bits you want, but many of our members will. As for the dremel, well it would be a good investment. Mine has been used many many times and it does run slowly if wanted as it has a speed slider on it. As well as the drill, I bought the separate chuck for mine as I am no fan of collets. I have mine set up on a drill press and use the flexible extension, which really does turn it into a very good tool indeed.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 04:47:26 pm »

Minicraft also do a range of power tools, and the power supply units also have variable voltage, which means you can run tools very slowly if you wish.
@TailUK, that link has an impressive range of scale tools  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 06:03:16 pm »

TailUK, thank you for the link, I have already had a look, and as TigerTiger says it has quite a range.  Foot ski, it is just a matter of deciding which Dremel to get.  I am getting Milford Star for my birthday in October so no great rush yet.  Thank you all for the advice.

RST

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:24 pm »

Cornwall model boats is my go-to place for parts (first-off anyway), even if it's just pick hunting or looking for part numbers or inspiration elsewhere. MB magazine lists good traders also. Cornwall seem most reliable out the lit but not to say others. There's a Dutch shop I ordered from, but still waiting after 3 weeks so will reserve judgement. They have some beautiful things though.

I personally like dremels. Others don't seem to like them as much. I think their worth their money. Others like proxxon, some like minicraft.  Others like cheap as chips "consumable" tools.  Pretty sure some of my demels go way below 5k rpm. Some so slow they're almost stalling anyway.

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:09 pm »

RST,

I have bought scale chain and scale rope from The model Dock Yard which was almost by return of post.  I think on the tool front it will be a Dremel, but which one? 

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 07:48:26 am »

I've had my Dremel for years, use it for all sorts of things and it's still as good as new. Well worth the money.

I also have a Milford Star kit in my 'when I get around to it' pile. It was an impulse purchase a couple of months ago when I was in Howes.

Which part of Oxfordshire are you in? Are you aware of the Oxford model boat club, which meets in Hinksey park Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons? They're a nice friendly bunch (except me, I'm 'orrible!)
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »

I have several small dremel type drills, and can use up to 3 or 4 at a time to save swapping bits out constantly (particularly if I am using an 0.8mm bit to drill stainless plates, then an 0.7mm to drill the mounting hole in the wood, 0.8mm stainless pins as fixings and then a quick buff with a buffing wheel and thats 3 drills, 2 of mine run with flexishafts (very useful as it brings the size of the part you hold down) and all with chucks rather than collets (nothing breaks an 0.8mm drill bit faster than even the slightest amount of out of true in the collet - especially the carbide ones you need for drilling stainless)

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 06:53:13 pm »

Dave_S, I live in a small village called Minster Lovell.  I have just joined a Bowmoor yacht club a little closer to me.  It has been a little windy to sail my River Queen and I work every other weekend so I haven’t been able to get out on the water yet.

Grendel I will definitely be getting a Dremel, I like the idea of one with an extension lead for better control, the point is well made with a Chuck rather than the collet.  Still not sure which version though.

Thank you both.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:59 pm »

I know Minster Lovell, just the other side of Witney from Standlake, where I live. I sail yachts with the Cotswold club in the water parks near Cirencester, and scale electrics with the Oxford club at Hinksey. I haven't heard of the Bowmoor club, I'll look them up.

We bought a car in Minster Lovell last year - was driving it today!

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:13 pm »

Dave_S. It is just outside of Lechlade going towards Fairford.  I have joined as an Associate Member £37 a year and a key payment of £10.  It seems a good deal to me, it is a little exposed to wind and I was unable to launch my River Queen last week.  On a calm day I think it will be fine.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 09:01:18 pm »

The Cotswold club sails at Cerney Wick, on the other side of Fairford. The Cotswold club is strictly yachts and other sailing vessels only though. I've not been there for a couple of months, too busy unfortunately.

The Oxford club at Hinksey has use of a sheltered pond which is good for small yachts and electric scale models. They also use the larger lake by the railway there for sailing one metre yachts. The chairman of the club lives in Ducklington, just down the road from both of us.

RST

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »

Just to say sorry for not replying sooner.  My 240v dermels are black and looking at the range now .....way out of date.  I do have one of the battery powered grey / blue ones from a few years ago and I think it's great, it's my go-to tool.  Just don't buy cheap drill bits and NEVER use cheap slittings discs, always use the reinforced ones! and use a pair of safety specs anyway when using a mini-drill. especially with smaller drill bits.
Rich

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 06:29:25 am »

Rich, thank you, your timing is great I will be buying a Dremel in the next week or so.  I have just received an early birthday present of Caldercraft’s Milford Star.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:42 am »

Just a quick note on cutting discs. I think Permagrit used to do one.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 08:41:10 am »

I use diamond discs for a great deal of things as I too am fed up of cutting discs lasting fractions of a second under load.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:48:05 am »

There's quite a tempting display of the Dremel range in B&Q in Witney, down at the far end. I am often to be found lingering there!

David Boreham

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 12:25:32 pm »

Dave_S, I bought the Dremel 4000 from B&Q.  I used it to take the edge back of the GRP Hull.  It was brilliant.  Very impressed.  So the build is underway, just sorting out some scrap ply for engine decks and rudder supports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.