Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vosper 70 ft  (Read 2887 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Vosper 70 ft
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:18:18 am »

Vosper 70 ft

WOW !  That was quick !

Whilst up at Dean’s Marine for their Open Day on Saturday I was rather struck by their new release, Vosper Thornicroft 70 ft motor torpedo boat.  Twin shaft twin rudders in 1/24 scale.  It just so happens that I have a 1/48 scale model of this which goes like a rocket, but only usable in winds of up to 10 mph.  At double the size this should cope with almost anything.

Yesterday morning I called Dean’s and ordered one, with brass props; twin Kestral motors; battery, couplings and two crew figures.  I then ordered an Action P94 plus BEC from Component Shop. 

At 8:30 the next morning the box from Dean’s Marine arrived – Remarkably even before the Component Shop order who are known for their quick deliveries.

Just unpacking the box.  Photo’s and build log to follow.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Vosper 70 ft Motor Torpedo Boat
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:56:28 pm »

After the rapid delivery (thanks Ron!) I proceeded to investigate what was in the box.  Boy. There was certainly a lot of it.  A very nicely formed fibreglass hull; two trays of fittings; a huge colour detailed plan; catalogues; wood; several sheets of laser cut parts in sheet plastic; motors; shafts; props; battery; two Kestral motors; rudders; three crew figures; . . .and the most important thing – a very nicely detailed 27 page instruction booklet.

Having built many Deans Marine models I knew the best plan of action was thoroughly reading all the instructions (several times) before getting anything out of the box.  Never rush these things, and do not get anything out until you need it

Here is a picture giving an impression of just how much is in the box.

As I said above, I already have a 1/48 scale Vosper Thornycroft Type 1 seventy foot motor torpedo boat, which although goes like a rocket is a bit small for days when the wind is more than 10 mph.  This is a 1/24 scale rendition of the same boat, ideal for just about any sea and wind state.

Just for effect I took the hull to Black Park Lake today, with the half sized MTB inside  Yes, it did create a stir.  Tee Hee !

All the parts supplied with the new boat look well made and very detailed.  The cabin is a single piece F/G moulding, as is the core of the gun mount. 

More soon

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Peter57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vosper 70 ft
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 08:40:10 am »

Hello Bob,

I am thinking about buying the same kit from Deans, so was very interested to see your initial posts.  Please keep posting the build log as you progress.

Thanks
Peter

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »

Hello Peter,

It certainly is well made, and very detailed.  You will need to buy all the paints, adhesives and electrics etc.
Follow the instructions, starting with cleaning the hull thoroughly with sugar soap etc to remove mould release agents etc.

Bob K

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 08:22:13 am »

Hi Bob looking forward to the build log.

Graham

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 03:42:34 pm »

Sorry guys, there will be a short delay in this build due to dockyard logistics.

What was once a large workbench is now greatly reduced in size, rolls of plans at one end and HMS Polyphemus across the back.  A raised 6 foot platform was created for the 7 foot Agincourt, the halves of which stand on end towering over the work area like Harland & Wollff's giant yellow cranes Samson and Goliath.

Yes, there is just enough room to work on the Vosper hull, but not the 3 foot box of parts that the kit came in.
The walls are filled with wall-bracket mounted ships, plus with seven people living here there is no spare space outside the dockyard room.  Every time I need something from the box, even to refer to, I will have to move it off the floor (where I would otherwise stand).

Not an impossible conundrum, but with a 2.1 M battleship in here logistics are tight  :embarrassed:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 10:55:46 pm »

I hope you are fine and dandy Bob.

I havn't been on as much of late but still think of your projects often.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 09:28:58 am »

Hi Bob    I do like iconic boats with some history behind them and this one certainly fits the bill, I'll be following your build, given the size of this one I would be very tempted to fit a third shaft/motor so you have a main and wings, Doh I think I've been watching too many war films.  %%

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.