Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI Cuts  (Read 10084 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI Cuts
« on: September 10, 2019, 02:11:20 pm »

There is a report in today's paper that the RNLI are making 135 staff, mainly at Poole, redundant in an effort to balance the books. This apparently represents 8% of the workforce.

They say that income has fallen off substantially, mainly from loss of legacies which would explain the letter I received asking me to provide for them in my will. I'm quite happy to continue support as a joint Offshore member with Mrs B but I'm afraid my worldly goods will go to our daughters (if there is anything left after the nursing home...)

Colin

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: RNLI Cuts
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 03:44:42 pm »

Your mention of "if anything left after the nursing home" got me thinking:

I wonder how many more people would leave money to charity if they could put it in their will that, say, 10% of their estate at the time they went into care was a bequest?  The money could be set aside and held in trust, and not counted towards care costs. The state/local authority would start paying for care when the estate dropped to the threshold (£16k I think) plus the value of the bequest. Upon their death, the money held in trust would be paid to the charity.

Bit of a gamble on longevity, but the chances are the money runs out, and the dependents don't lose because the money was "taken" up front. If the person dies early into their stay in a care home, the dependents lose out to a maximum of 10%.

slinger

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:33:39 pm »

I have also received that letter and like Colin I will continue with my Shoreline membership and be a ember of their online supporters review panel? It would help if the management stopped being so politicly correct, show more support for it's long standing volunteers and crews.  Also start selling their plans for lifeboats especially the older ones where should be no copyright issues from their shop?

Slinger

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:49:25 pm »

"to provide for them in my will" >>:-( 

..at first glance this may appear as an intangible asset, however it is not a great deal different than Pyramid selling

Creative accounting then urges such donors to complete and provide complex detail to the Financiers of the Scheme who are a separate Company with no association [other than financial] to the entity [the RLNI in this case] they represent

So based on mathematical financial futuring, that 'far off' asset can be used as collateral for current borrowings  & so add to the working capital

It is disappointing that a group such as the RLNI Management has fallen for such dubious Commercial misgivings. >:-o
....like the only one to get rich quick are those creative accountants >>:-(  from the Finance Company

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 12:55:57 am »

Whilst it’s always a shame to see jobs go, for a while now people have been complaining that the RNLI has become a bit ‘top heavy’ so something like this is probably due. And, arguably, if they hadn’t just spent a shedload of money building a huge production facility, they may have been able to keep the staff, but I guess they think long term that they’ll be saving money by building in house.

The future must be looking rather bleak for the RNLI though as each generation that passes on has less money to leave. Couple that with more expensive faster boats which burn more fuel and you have a bit of a nightmare.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 08:27:28 am »

I wish people would have a look at their (and any other charity’s) annual accounts. Look at the property and assets they own, look at the number of personnel earning over £100000 etc.
When first made redundant from my first shipping company my boss encouraged me to join him working (not volunteering) for a big charity. What he told me left me horrified such that I told him where to shove it and have never given to any charity since.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 08:57:13 am »

Hullo Jerry....hope all is well & the Narrowboat is afloat  ;) ...

As a Red + blood donor, I accept all semi related e-mails..........today one from the Australian Heart Foundation.....[asking for a donation]

They are a good cause.........went looking to see what was behind the Donate Now button..??????

Some Company by the name of charidy ..... not the Heart Foundation at all  >>:-( ...... but a Private Registered Collection Group Company ...I wonder what % of the donations actually go the the Heart Foundation?

I don't mind 500ml of Plasma each 2 weeks, or 500ml of whole blood each 12 weeks.......but sadly like you, would not offer 1 Cent to a Collections Company

Derek

[PS.....my next Red+ blood visit will be the 88th on the 29th of October]

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:12 am »

I did just tell a lie. When my tug Parat fouled a rowing boat mooring on Llyn Padarn two divers rescued it for me. They wouldn’t take any cash but asked me to donate to the Air Ambulance. So I donated what I offered them but had my fingers crossed when I did it.
Jerry.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 06:13:47 pm »

I lost faith in the RNLI management when they employed "Diversity Officers" on over £40k a year.
When i queried the costings I was told that the lagacies paid for positions such as these.
As an ex seaman I have the greatest respect for the crews but not the senior management.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:53:10 pm »

Each month I donate directly to the Crew Comforts Fund of a local station. It helps compensate crew for costs they can't avoid, but Poole won't fund.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:17:34 pm »

The head honcho figure head is usually a retired senior RN Admiral. His retirement package and pension would make you weep and he’s one of the top earners in the RNLI. I saw the figures once and was really shocked. Not sure if it’s the same now but at the coal face only the boats mechanic got paid and the rest were taxed on their expenses!
Jerry.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 09:06:50 pm »

Maybe they should adopt a recovery charging scheme for the expensive yachts they rescue
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 09:08:09 pm »

There is no doubt that a lot of the top people in large and medium sized charities can be considered to be overpaid given the nature of their organisation. And a lot of charities are little more than government sub contractors these days.

I spent most of my career in local government. When I joined, the public and private sectors were very distinct with management pay in the public service much lower than in the private sector. Notwithstanding the discrepancy there were a lot of very clever and competent people in the public sector who had a commitment to public service. They had a decent salary but nowhere near that of the bankers etc. Bankers don’t ‘earn’ money, they just cream off percentages on deals irrespective of the amount of work actually put in.

As time went on the Governments of the day thought it would be a good idea to inject some private sector efficiency into the public sector and energise some of the ‘jobsworths’ who inhabited it.

This was a worthy intention but didn’t quite work out as intended. Chief Execs were parachuted in from the private sector to tell us how to do things and of course they brought their stratospheric salaries with them This opened up a huge gap between them and their subordinates and as nature abhors a vacuum, middle and senior management salaries rose to fill the gap at a lot of expense.

The new Messiahs almost all failed in their new jobs. As company chiefs they had total control to direct operations. It doesn’t work like that in the public sector as there are all sorts of rules, regulations and laws to be observed and which get in the way. This is known as the ‘Democratic Overhead’ and usually flummoxed the incomers who rapidly moved back to the private sector leaving chaos in their wakes.

There were certainly some deadbeats in Local Government as in all organisations, but there was good practice too. In the 1970s I had a team of around 15 part time ladies working for me in a Local Area Education Office who were responsible for supplying 120 schools with all the day to day items and services they needed to operate. It was subsequently decided that schools should have their own admin/bursar staff to have local control but the resulting total cost was hugely more expensive than the original arrangements which worked fine. This was considered to be an ‘improvement’ by the powers that be.

What has happened with charities is that they are comparing themselves with private sector organisations which they consider to be an equivalent size and therefore their senior management deserve to be paid at a similar rate. This is a complete fallacy.

Looking at the RNLI it is a ‘bottom heavy’ organisation in that all the important stuff in delivering the service happens at local level where most of the participants are actually unpaid volunteers. It seems to me that the RNLI backup simply exists to provide decent boats, good equipment and comprehensive training facilities which are all essentially subordinate to its core function.
In my view the top boss should do the job for nothing but expenses as a privilege in supporting the people who go out to sea to rescue people.

Rant over!

Colin

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 07:03:26 am »

Regards,

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2019, 08:50:58 am »

I feel that will certainly damage income  %%
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 09:44:21 am »

Yes, using funds donated to support the British and Irish rescue services to fund foreign initiatives would seem to be beyond their remit. As somebody pointed out, they are not the Royal International Lifeboat Institution.

No reason why the RNLI's expertise shouldn't be tapped by other nations but it should be funded by those parties, other relevant charities or the international aid budget.This does rather smack of empire building on the part of RNLI management.

Colin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:29 am »

Daily Fail though so may be fictitious  {-)
Seriously is misappropriation of donations
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 10:11:18 am »

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 10:18:32 am »

Well overseas aid is news to me so they are not doing a good job of publicising the fact.
I think they are on shaky ground just like the RSPB were a while ago over selling bequeathed land to building developers against their wishes
Time will tell
ANDY

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 10:35:52 am »

I guess a lot of this international aid requires extensive 'fact finding' missions to decide which pet project is worthy.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 11:06:51 am »

The only charity I regularly support is my local RSPCA (both of my dogs have come from there)
Every time I go grocery shopping I buy some pet food & take it to my local centre, at least I know that every penny I spend goes to the animals..
Paul..

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »

Must admit giving aid to internationals is not what I give contributions to the RNLI for.
I will now donate to the air ambulance instead.

John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 12:55:49 pm »

It’s bad enough that our own government gives so much away in foreign aid
Our country is in debt so any money we give away is borrowed money on which you the tax payer pay interest. Full services at home with no debt should come first
ANDY

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 01:26:42 pm »

A classic case of 'mission creep' perhaps.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »

In another thread on this forum a while back I remember reading of the experience of distributing from a will to recipients but one of them was a charity who were due 5 % and they made life very difficult demanding several quotes on selling items etc.  His recommendation was that you should leave a fixed sum if you really want to.
I worked as a Learning Support Assistant in a local infants school and they had to buy their consumables from only one source.  One item that springs to mind was the cost of plastic sleaves for A4 documents.  They had to pay £3 per hundred I was paying 50p per hundred so I bought a pounds worth and left them in the supplies room.  I also sorted out their IT equipment contracts (an expertise from work) and they paid a lot less.

My wife left a very well known Cats charity when she found out what was going on at head office.  There were expensive cars with special number plates, *** 1 and 2 and 3, will not go into details.
We collect for and invite in the RNLI to our Model Show but I am very wary of large charities, favouring small and local only myself.
regards
 Roy
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 23 queries.