Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI Cuts  (Read 10082 times)

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: RNLI Cuts
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2019, 09:04:09 am »

And the Victorian has just got an 11% pay rise and only allows 2% pay rises for paramedics and nurses etc.  >>:-(

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2019, 10:50:40 am »

Maybe a good start point would be to establish what the CEO actually gets paid in his pay packet rather than the cost of employment.

According to the RNLI website the 2018 "cost of employment" for the CE0 was sub £200k including salary, employers NI contributions, pension and provision of a car - a rough rule of thumb is that you can add 50% to the "actual salary" as additional employment cost.

But I can see that some opinion is that £1 is too much salary for a CEO of a charity - I will beg to differ and agree to disagree.

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2019, 12:10:28 pm »

Or of course pay the ships crews a market led wage.
If you need this for management why not the people who actually deliver the service?
On call 24/7 365 days a year I would guess £49k average ships crew.
Why are management paid enormous sums of money but not the crews.
Sorry it makes me annoyed.
Bob
There's the puzzle, Bob. When it comes to "the going rate for the job" it's always the highest-paid folk who are used as the comparator for senior managent posts, whereas it's the lowest-paid menials for the shop-floor jobs.
I guess the reason for that is because it's management who do the comparing and sign the cheques...
Personally I'm with the Julian Richer (of Richer Sounds) philosophy - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/14/richer-sounds-staff-julian-richer  :-))

DaveM

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2019, 03:17:27 pm »

Hmm!! That has me thinking in terms of my own will.

Will have to look into it further as I want it set in such a way that whoever my trustee is, they look after my estate in the way I wish it to be 'dished out' for want of a better phrase.

I don't want whoever my nominated charity is, dictating how my spoils are divided. Such a bloody minefield. Can't even have the ability to Rest in Peace  >>:-( <*<

Thats the worst thing one can do is leave a percentage to any charity. My mate  (a widower)and neighbour did this  and as soon as the charity knew  Virtually  the next day  they were round doing an inventory they insisted on 3 valuations on the property and  it HAD to  go to the max  price . The family were only just getting around the loss of their mum but these  people were like  vultures. By all means leave something to charity but  fixed amount

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2019, 03:46:04 pm »

There  have also been occasions when someone has left £50k to a charity and the remainder to their relatives as percentages. If you end up in a care home and the fees eat most of your capital, the charity gets the first £50k and the family get little, or nothing.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2019, 04:26:24 pm »

Having acted as executor for a complex family estate I confirm that the whole business can be a total minefield with unexpected effects unless the will is very carefully written. Percentages, unless they are equal shares to relatives can give the executor a real headache and percentages to charities can be an open invitation to problems as mentioned above.

As well as financial assets, something else to remember is the personal effects of the deceased. It is common practice for beneficiaries to be able to express an interest in items of sentimental or practical value with those not chosen being sold off at auction. This can work if everyone is on good terms but not so much if two beneficiaries want the same item or say, the daughter wants all her Mum's valuable jewellery which makes up a disproportionate value of the personal effects. It an be a good idea for all the effects and furniture etc.to be formally valued then if one beneficiary chooses items of greater value than the others then they get a smaller share of the proceeds of the remaining stuff that goes to auction. Some of this, such as jewellery, can of course be itemised in the will and often is but can distort the overall shareout if there are several beneficiaries.

I strongly recommend getting a will drawn up by a competent professional who can explain unintended consequences, don't use unqualified will writers or, Heaven forbid, the pro formas from W.H.Smith. That way disaster lies!

NEVER appoint a bank as Executor as they will usually charge on a percentage basis plus expenses and will leave a huge hole in the amount left for distribution.

A solicitor can be better but will still be expensive

Both banks and solicitors work at their own pace which can be frustratingly leisurely, especially if there is a house to be sold. They also depend on the family to provide them with all the information and documents they need so those left behind still have a job and a half in assembling all the paperwork anyway.

Best of all, if you have a trusted family member who is savvy with paperwork and is willing to act as executor then appoint them, preferably with a backup in case they pre decease you. That way they retain control of the process and the beneficiaries (of whom they may be one) will bless you. Dealing with most estates is not difficult, you just have to be methodical and willing to read up on the rules. There is plenty of advice out there. Some matters will need professional input but the executor can employ solicitors and accountants as and when required which keeps fees under control.

In my case I reckon that doing the job myself must have saved at least £10k-£15k in 'professiona'l fees and 9-12 months in completing the process.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2019, 11:55:49 am »

Hi al, I can echo Colin's response.  I remember being an executor for my father's will.  He had a part time job working for solicitors in Lincolns Inn Fields (Posh place then) and he was convinced to have them do his will.  They were also Executors!

Now he was well liked and managed the administration for them for 6 or 7 years.  When he died the solicitors sent me all the questions to answer and they did very little but still charged the full %age rate for their part.  I was not impressed!  No thought to him having been on their staff.

With that in mind I did all the legal work including conveyancing a house (it is quite easy) when my in-laws died, saved a lot of money.
regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2019, 06:43:48 pm »

Always make a proper will, it will save your nearest and dearest so much grief!

Yet a lot of people simply can't face up to the possibility that one day they will be dead. Very selfish!

Colin

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2019, 07:08:56 pm »

I can't possibly die, I have too many boats to build first.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:29 pm »

You may end up building the Flying Dutchman then...

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2019, 07:55:24 pm »

Wonder if there will be a modelling shop beyond the Pearly Gates as I assume their will not be an on line shop facility . Also assuming thats where I will be heading.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2019, 10:39:55 am »

If you go to the other place,you should get the latest HOT deals. {-)

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2019, 09:44:13 pm »

Wow - can of worms!

Not one CEO delivering value for their exorbitant salary - really?

"Just administration, doesn't create anything" - no strategic leadership - really?

I agree that the PM role @ £160k is way out of touch with business - not a good role to benchmark against - should be a lot more

I also wonder if some of you are in touch with the types of pay rates that happen in 2019 "junior/middle" management roles let alone senior roles

Just my tuppence

C-3PO
Two words

Thomas Cook

John

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2019, 09:45:32 pm »

Hit a chord with me too  {-)

Don’t just Thomas Cook it  :embarrassed:
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »

Two words

Thomas Cook

John

"REWARDS FOR FAILURE’ Thomas Cook collapse – Bosses pocketed £47m in pay and bonuses from doomed travel giant before collapse that left 150,000 Brits stranded"

One word "Comparison?"

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.