Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: McGherkin’s Tech-Tastic Tamar  (Read 1709 times)

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
McGherkin’s Tech-Tastic Tamar
« on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:29 pm »

I’ve had a Model Slipway Tamar kit for years now. I made a brief start but my circumstances changed soon after I bought it. I ended up giving it to a model shop owner to sort on commission, but he did naff all and what he did do was mostly wrong. He was banged up for running drug money up to Wales and I managed to recover most of it. Now I had time and space to work on it, I thought I’d crack on with doing it myself.

I want this to be a bit of a showcase of what can be done electronically so there’s lots of features. I’ll run through them;
1. Switchable control modes on the transmitter. Fast mode disables the bow thruster and moves both throttles onto one stick. Manoeuvring mode has separate throttles which are limited to tickover, and bow thruster.

2. 8 lighting circuits, including red and white wheelhouse lighting, illuminated SIMS panels and bilge alarm lights in addition to the usual nav lights, blue lights and floodlights.

3. Ultrasonic smoke unit with separately controlled fan and mister.

4. Full independent engine sounds for both engines, as well as various extra sound effects.

5. 2,3 and 4 are all controlled by a powerful multifunction unit allowing individual remote control and even complex sequences (for example a full mayday response scenario). Configuration and transfer of sounds etc are done in seconds with a USB cable.

6. A 5.8GHz FPV system with dual cameras and a full On Screen Display system with GPS and current/voltage monitoring.

7. Working bilge pump, automatically controlled and indicated on the mast as per real life.

8. All these various systems, which run at completely different voltages, are all powered by one 4S 20,000mAh battery, saving weight by running voltage regulators instead of extra batteries.

9. The wheelhouse is removed using one single 20 pin connector.

To do this I have;
Turnigy 9X running ER9X software
Beier USM-RC-2 Multifunction module
Hawk 60A ESCS (and Overlander Thumper V2 3548 motors turning propshop 5 blade props)
Mtroniks Viper Marine 15 ESC running a Raboesch bow thruster
MarksModelBits Foggy
Castle BEC Pro 2.0 voltage regulator (for main auxiliary power, and two other ebay regulators for bow thruster and mister)
Hobbyking Quanum FPV bundle with transmitter, diversity reciever and camera (used for rear)
Hobbyking FPV Switcher
Runcam Micro Sparrow Pro 2 (awesome FPV camera used for the front view)
SuppoOSD V2.51 with 5Hz GPS and current sensor
Hunter systems engine cooling pump (bilge pump)

And probably more. I’ll put photos etc into a second post....

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
Re: McGherkin’s Tech-Tastic Tamar
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 12:43:42 pm »

Allllright I guess this place could do with updating when it comes to embedding photos and videos. Have some hyperlinks.

Demonstrating a scenario, the lights hanging out of the wheelhouse window are various deck, mast lights etc.
https://youtu.be/obGANx8lqIA

A quick burst of throttle (on only 3S, final result will be even wilder!)
https://youtu.be/II_3wXl_w6Y

Demonstrating the FPV system;
https://youtu.be/8LKrHrsWoSI

And again in pitch blackness!
https://youtu.be/YxHG6-KD4jo

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »

Brilliant stuff. Love seeing more tech in models.
Alex

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 11:40:45 am »

A quick ‘n’ dirty flowchart showing how power and servo signals are distributed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.