Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: interference?  (Read 2687 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
interference?
« on: September 08, 2019, 05:06:08 pm »

Hi
I am running a three shaft set up in my CVA-01 HMS Queen Elizabeth and have just started to have strange thing with control.
Left motor is controlled by Mtroniks esc with red wire disconnected so rx does not have to sort having to BEC circuits.  Right is also Mtroniks controlling two motors
Switch all on in correct sequence, move left stick and left motor turns as it should, move right stick and it seems as if right esc takes over control of all three motors, and no matter which way left was turning, it is re4versed in line with centre and right., then all three start to jerk in a sort of stop start sequence.

Power batteries fully charged Tx fully charged and rx antennae clear line of sight to tx

Help

Bob
I will finish this model

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: interference?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:50:31 pm »

Presumably it all used to work properly, and you haven't changed anything in the boat or on the transmitter?

Is it dependant on the distance between the Tx and Rx (too close, or not close enough)? On the lake and/or on the bench?

Brushed or brushless?

What batteries, and how are they wired (one pack for each ESC, one pack powering both ESCs, etc)?

What make radio, and what frequency?

Any other electronics fitted, apart from the 2 ESCs, Rx and rudder servo?

Assuming you have a basic transmitter, or a computer radio with no mixes switched on?

I have heard of faulty servos causing all kinds of weird "interference" type problems, so it's worth disconnecting any servos and seeing if the problem goes away.
While the servos are disconnected, it's also worth swapping the ESCs from the up/down stick channels to the left/right stick channels to rule out radio problems.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:25:05 pm »

Hi Rob

Your motor mounts arent touching each other are they? Had a similar problem a few years back where the clamps were just touching causing a circuit. In theory both inputs from either the LH or RH stick would provide the same outcome if they were but we had the same issue.

The only other thing I can think of is depending on how many batteries you are using and are they powering both sides of the motor system. It could be a connection on that side that makes when the RH stick is operated.

Recently my Robbe F14 Twinstick started to mess around creating jerky motions of the shafts and it turned out to be the aerial was loose inside the transmitter where the actual aerial pole is screwed/unscrewed to store it way in its box.

I must admit that I hate electrickery when it goes wrong!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 10:45:54 pm »

Thanks both of you,

Clockworks
distance not an issue
Brushed
X2 12v 18amph provides ALL power to boat wired in parallel, same problem with single 12v 12amph Yuasa
Fly sky FS16 10ch 2.4
anchor servo, foghorn plugged in rx, bus bar board running three relays, relay plugged into rx, but problem is there even without then connected both esc are brand new this is their first installation
computer TX no mixers set up

Will play disconnecting and see what happens then

Nick no motor flanges well separated, the antennae but is interesting, although the fs16 does not have one as we know it just a moulded part on top so really nothing to get damaged in transit, although internal might be different

Bob

I will finish this model

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 09:07:57 am »

Do you have the little capacitors across the motor terminals?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:33:56 am »

The motor casings should not be live to any part of the electric circuit, unless it was thought a good idea to connect them to battery -ve. Some very old motors did have one brush insulated from the case and the other using the case as a connection, but all of the more modern motors that I have seen (modern = after 1960) have both brush terminals insulated.  I have come across motors containing bits of swarf that allowed one of the brushes to contact the metal frame, but that was not a design feature.
There might be a problem with the ground line wiring, a bad -ve power connection to an ESC causing it to get that connection through the thin radio lead does give all manner of strange effects, up to and including vapourising the metal inside the black wire of the radio leads, but on its way there, the fluctuating ground reference voltage wreaks all sorts of misoperation.
No familiarity with the particular transmitter, but if it is capable of mixing, it is possible that an operators thumb "might", while moving it up/down, introduce a bit of unintended sideways.  Acid test - move the right stick left/right, does anything but rudder movement happen?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:41:48 am »

I think I have sussed it, after removing all plugs
from ex the reinserting, same issue in a moment of inspiration I removed the left esc and replaced with a spare mtroniks result all doing as it should. I further suspect that esc as it does not respond to on off switch, all power remains on  unlike the others
So I think my brand news esc will be getting replaced but at least I can set everything up now
Thanks for all suggestions

Bob
I will finish this model

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 09:24:29 am »

Hi bob its John V i had that problem with one of my boats .And like mister clockwork said faulty servo causes all sorts of problems and that is what I found with my boat .try unplugging servos cheers John V

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 11:24:57 am »

Hi bob its John V i had that problem with one of my boats .And like mister clockwork said faulty servo causes all sorts of problems and that is what I found with my boat .try unplugging servos cheers John V

You should have read the post before yours John, Rob has found the root of the problem and now has success.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 05:40:37 pm »

Hi Ned sorry we can't all be perfect .The boat he is working on use to be mine if you look on page one .But we keep trying cheers John V

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:38 pm »

Hi John, I'm far from perfect mate, just thought to let you know Rob had sorted the problem.
I knew it was originally yours. Must say  Rob is
doing a grand job as usual.  :-))
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 06:03:49 pm »

Hi Ned he is doing a lovely job .He is the man for it .I like his working anchor .but glad he is getting it sorted cheers John V
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.