Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Landing Craft - Part 1  (Read 1961 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Landing Craft - Part 1
« on: September 13, 2019, 11:43:01 am »

Landing craft must be the simplest of military vessels to scratch build.  They also offer the possibility of adding extra "interest" with weapons, vehicles and crew which can be ready obtained from plastic kits provided you have chosen the right scale of course!

Even RC tanks can be carried which was the reason for building a model based loosely on the LCM6 design of WW 2 ( Model Boats Dec 2009). Great fun to sail around then storm ashore, drop the ramp and drive the tank up the beach.  Driving the tank back onto the LCM was admittedly not quite so easy.

A little later and a model based (loosely again) on the LCS (a landing craft modified to give close up gunfire support when assaulting a beach) was built (Model Boats Oct 2015).  This time the working feature was a twin barreled gun with sound, light and recoil features.  The gun was grossly over-scale but it had all the right actions and was cheap enough to risk modifying (basically chopping unwanted bits away).

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Landing Craft - Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:02:33 pm »

Whilst rummaging through my old models I came across a small (14 inch 360 mm) model based on the LCM3.  It may well have been designed when magazine editors had a thing about small models that would fit across a double page spread.  Being such a simple design it doesn't need elaborate and long winded construction details.  It can also be scaled easily to produce any size you fancy, the original being about 1/40 scale.

Balsa, 1/8 inch (3 mm) thick was used on the original but there is no reason why other materials could not be used.  For larger models plywood would be suitable especially if you plan to run the model ashore.

Construction started by cutting two identical hull sides.  The two Inner hull sides were the same shape but stopped at the position of the bulkhead.  The only curved cuts are in the bows but to be honest you could make them straight without affecting the models appearance afloat or sailing characteristics.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Landing Craft - Part 3
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:56 pm »

The hull was assembled using simple rectangles for the Transom, Bulkhead and Side Spacers (between the inner and outer hull sides).  A tip at this point is to do this assembly with the hull upside down on a flat surface, it was much easier to keep things correctly aligned.

When the glue had set, the hull bottom was added in three parts.  The flat parts at the bows and between the bulkhead and transom first and then the bottom section from the bows to the bulkhead.  On the original model I used card but then I was not planning to beach the model.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Landing Craft - Part 1
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 12:20:09 pm »

The prototype was to be driven and steered by two independently controlled motors without any rudder being fitted.  The motor were placed as far apart on the on the hull bottom and up against the inner hull sides and lined up with suitable prop shafts.

The outer parts of the prop shaft tubes were supported with skegs.  I figured that this would give the propellers some protection and might aid the models straight running.

The two Support Strips running along the Inner hull sides were glued in place making sure that the removable deck would not foul anything when dropped in place.   

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »

Being a small model, both for space and weight, the prototype had the external surfaces quickly sealed so a flotation trail could be carried out.  It would easily hold the RC gear in the stern compartment (between bulkhead and transom) but some ballast was needed in the bows.  I stuck some lead in between the inner and outer hull sides.

The deck was then added over the hull. The two pieces covering the gaps between inner and outer hull sides were fixed but the rear section was not so as to have access to the RC gear.

The final items were the armoured steering position, a few deck hatches and some other odds and ends.  Painting, well overall grey with black below the waterline and some rust and wear markings.

Currently sailing with an old modified two channel outfit, the rudder stick being turned through 90 degrees to give me "Tank Steering".

As I said at first, easy to build and capable of being scaled up if required.  Maybe even scaled down if you like small stuff?
Glynn Guest

essexbill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:40:41 pm »

Looks like a nice project for a few afternoons or evenings.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:24 pm »

Easily adapted design. There are plenty of drop front cargo boats / ferries that are basically similar from the tip of South America to Orkney. Not the best photos as it was raining hard in South America and the boat in Orkney was a very long way away but they illustrate the principal.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 01:51:33 pm »

Tug Fanatic,
             Thanks for posting these photos, same simple construction as LCM's to produce a "different" model with lots of potential appeal.

I'm tempted and will start looking around for suitable vehicles/cargo for such a model.

Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 06:29:45 pm »

I saw one sailing out to the Hebrides in May whilst sailing back to Oban on the ferry and though then what a good subject for a model. St. Kilda is still serviced by a landing craft especially at the moment while major work is being carried out on the Qinetic base.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.