The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Pleasure boats, Sports, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:

Club 500 racer handling

(1/4) > >>

aeronut:
Does anyone have experience of modding the Club 500 boats to handle better?  Not using mine for racing, so not standard, but sometimes it will just not quite get up on the plane properly, then tip over at around 45 degrees and run along like that.  Current thinking is that it's down to the chine being not sharp enough because of the vac forming, but I'm not too sure what I can do to correct that - hoping someone here has some experience to share!

Gordon

chas:
I've never had a club 500, but I did plenty of pairs racing years ago. As your boat is modified the first thing I would check is that the model has it's weight set low in the hull and the second is that the prop isn't too large giving a torque roll to the hull and preventing the revs picking up quickly.
Chas.

DaveM:
What you're experiencing is called 'chine walking'. If you Google that phrase then there are plenty of descriptions and possible solutions, certainly for full-size boats. The Fairey Swordsman is prone to this, largely because it's a little too broad in the beam for its length. The solutions suggested are to decrease the power, trim the stern with wedges and/or add some weight in the bow.

DaveM

Martin (Admin):

You could also think about fitting some form or 'running strakes' along the bottom, to help keep it straight...

Or 'dagger plates' like a hydroplane.

https://www.google.com/search?q=running+strakes&safe=strict&client=firefox-b-d&channel=crow&sxsrf=ACYBGNQj97JFaMaURgwdAl4q893fX1_Qbw:1568635869507&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=evfcBa-JJYUt_M%253A%252C9TwVkDO_TY-fnM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTIe7_SLa1l3JMWwKQi_AKzeQFyxg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwipuqL-p9XkAhX6URUIHRqpDUIQ9QEwA3oECAMQBg#imgrc=evfcBa-JJYUt_M:

Netleyned:
The 500 was designed as a stock club racer.
540 motor on 7.2v to keep everyone equal.
No probs with it's handling as designed.
Upping the power or prop will give the effect
you are experiencing. As designed a good fun boat
and some great club racing.
If you want more speed, buy a faster Hull.
Ned

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version