Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time boats electrical / radio installation  (Read 3001 times)

colinj20

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
first time boats electrical / radio installation
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:40:15 pm »

Hi, I'm a bit of new member here, you (might) remember that I'm helping my dad with his first RC boat build, he's a little more practical, and not used to things like forums, so as well as helping with some aspects of the build when he gets stuck, I'm also currently in charge of the research aspect since we've no friends involved in the hobby. Some time ago, I was interested in RC planes, I think in the 35mHz days, then did it go to 40mHz, or 2.4gHz ? anyways ........
      We're building an Aeronaut Diva Cabin Cruiser, and the guy from the Hobbies magazine advised and supplied the majority of the electronics which should be suitable for this boat. We're to the point where we're not far off the electronics install, so far the motor is mounted, the rudder assembly is together but still outside of the boat. We have an Mtronics Viper Marine 15 ESC, a battery pack, and a micro servo.

here are the questions, if you can help

1, We (I infact) have a left-over second hand Spectrum DX6 radio, receiver etc, it's an Aero/Heli set, is this likely to be suitable for use with the boat, years ago, various types of models would have their own frequencies, sorry for being dumb, I've a lot to learn, this radio receiver has two very short aerials on the receiver, does that denote 2.4gHz, and is that any use for the boat ?

2, our ESC has bullet shaped terminals intended for connection to the motor, what's the done thing when they don't match up to what's on the motor itself ? do we hake up a short extension lead such that we can then have the correct terminals and leave the ESC wiring un-butchered, or do we chop of those unsuitable terminals and crimp the right ones on ?

3, the wires to the motor are blue and yellow, does it not matter which was round. apparently the ESC will learn which is forward and backward ?

4, he's being asked in the instructions to glue the cabin roof on, but concerned that he'll need to get to the electronics below, is it the done thing to make such a part removable as part of the build ?

5, This question is unrelated to the build, rather the use of the boat when complete. My dad went to the local club, and whilst very pleasant indeed, the guys there were rather focussed on racing their sail boats, something that (at this point at least) doesn't interest my dad, is he likely to be on his own somewhere with something like a cabin cruiser ?

thanks for reading, and thanks for your advice

Paul, (for Colin)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: first time boats electrical / radio installation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:01:55 pm »

1. its 2.4ghz so is ok to use. I have several of these.
2. normally I cut these off and use a terminal chocolate block for ease. make sure you use a high ampage one.
3. motor wires blue and yellow.  doesn't matter which way round they connect. if wrong just swap them round or do it via the tx
4. personal choice. my personal way now is fix n52 neodym magnets in the corners and inside the roof. or you can latch the roof in position with a lip one side and a catch the other.
5.no idea I dont know the club. but usually there will be others about sailing there own boat.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

colinj20

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 03:06:44 pm »

thank you so much for the reply, that puts us a couple of steps closer :)

Paul

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:25:29 pm »

I'd not support cutting off the bullet connectors from the speed controller; I believe this invalidates the warranty, so you might wish to check with MTroniks first.  I'd go with your original proposal either to make up an extension lead to suit or maybe just crimp some matching female halves of the connectors onto the motor leads.
Sorry, Klunk - it's a personal thing but I won't have choc-blocks even vaguely near any of my boats. If you have to resort to screw-connectors then fit boot-lace ferrules to the ends of the wires first or use 'rising-clamp' type connectors - preferably both. Screws bearing down on stranded cable is just asking for trouble.
DaveM

colinj20

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »

thanks Dave, we'll got with making up a little extension lead, however, and I'm fairly sure you'll know this, we've skilfully fitted the motor now, and it would be slightly fiddly to access, I can see that the teminals on the motor are a flat spade type, but will these be a particular type/size ? the motor is an Mtronics Power M400

Edit : actually, it looks, from photos I've seen online, that it's common to solder motor wires and female bullet connectors on ? rather than a push-fit terminal onto the motor ?

thank you

Paul

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 04:56:47 pm »

Paul
It's most usual to solder the leads onto the motor terminals. 16 or even 18AWG silicon-covered multistrand wire would be fine for a Speed 400. When using VHF radios (e.g. 27 or 40MHz) it's also practice to solder a 0.1uF suppressor capacitor across the terminals to prevent radio frequency interference from the motor brushes, but if you're using a 2.4GHz radio then this isn't strictly necessary. The problem with push-on spade connectors is twofold; the area of contact between terminal and connector can be small which in turn would cause high resistance and drain the battery unduly, and they also have an annoying tendency to fall off when the model is at its furthest point from the bank!
You and your Dad might find some useful stuff in this article https://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/but-i-don't-understand-electronics/18054
DaveM

petermun

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:17:20 pm »

Dave, reference your last, my son has just completed a French lifeboat which utilises two 380 brushed motors which each initially had one cap across their terminals.   When the motors were powered up, there were all sorts of weird reactions from the servos.   This was using 2.4 GHz.  After substituting everything except the motors I fitted the standard  3 cap suppression and all was solved.   Must have been cheap, noisy motors.  Pete

colinj20

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 06:58:55 pm »

excellent, thanks for all the advice guys :)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 07:34:10 pm »

Dave, reference your last, my son has just completed a French lifeboat which utilises two 380 brushed motors which each initially had one cap across their terminals.   When the motors were powered up, there were all sorts of weird reactions from the servos.   This was using 2.4 GHz.  After substituting everything except the motors I fitted the standard  3 cap suppression and all was solved.   Must have been cheap, noisy motors.  Pete
Eyup, m'duck!
One of the maxims I work to states that, in the event of failure of a system, it's usually the cheapest bit that's to blame and therefore the easiest to fix. I would fit 'the set of three' more or less from habit, irrespective of the radio frequency. It's just one less thing to blame. I take it you noticed my use of the word "strictly"? It didn't refer to a certain BBC programme - the point of which entirely escapes me.   8)
DaveM

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 04:37:22 am »

dave m. it's a personal choice on choc blocks. I have never had a problem with them.  where as the bullet connectors I've had loads of problems with bad connections, fragile metal after time and bad soldering, connectors that I cannot disconnect after water has got in the boat and I haven't realised or forgotten about. same reason I dont use the specified esc. now, as a rule I also use an online power distribution board with attached in line fuses as well.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 10:38:10 am »

If you want to keep the bullet connectors, get some large size connector block, they'll slide in easily then tighten firmly but not silly tight. You can then connect wires, suitably trimmed, folded and tinned into the other side.
Chas

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2019, 11:54:13 am »

I found earlier today that MTroniks actually sell the matching connectors and leads for soldering to the motor - they're a couple of pounds for the pair. https://www.mtroniks.net/prod/RC-Accessories/WBULCON30MO.htm
DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:56:53 am »

5, This question is unrelated to the build, rather the use of the boat when complete. My dad went to the local club, and whilst very pleasant indeed, the guys there were rather focussed on racing their sail boats, something that (at this point at least) doesn't interest my dad, is he likely to be on his own somewhere with something like a cabin cruiser ?

Paul, (for Colin)
It depends where your dad went, if Fleetwood, I don't really know.  If Fairhaven, its Blackpool and Fylde MBC.  If he turned up on a day when an event involving sailboats was on, that would account for the bias toward them, but the club is predominantly scale oriented, with several members having a liking for cabin cruisers.
All the other questions, what the other guys said.
I've PM'd you with contact details.
Malcolm Frary, chairman, B&FMBC
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.