Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Exeter 1939 1/72 Scale Questions  (Read 1346 times)

Bentley

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Exeter 1939 1/72 Scale Questions
« on: September 21, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »

Gentlemen,
I am finally completing a scratch built, 1/72 RC model of HMS Exeter begun years ago. Size selected was due to availability of Airfix Walrus models. Some rigging & weathering remains. Brand new to this site but have seen some pictures on the web of the superb 1/96 scale Exeter in the past. Member access to this site and more photo’s brings up the need for some potential structural changes. Here are some questions:
1. Morskie profile has errors when compared to pictures, but appears generally accurate:
      a- Did Exeter have salute guns during the battle?
      b- Bridge access down to conning tower internals shows central stairway (vs. two separate stairs)?
      c- Was there deck access from the searchlight/signal platform per recent 1/350 scale model issue?
2. Are N322 the most accurate signal flags?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Exeter 1939 1/72 Scale Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 06:06:55 pm »

Hi ya there, be nice to see a few photographs of your build.  When I built HMS Exeter myself I used the rigging plan from the Maritime Museum in London they hold a set of plans for HMS Exeter as she 'was' going to be built (3 funnels & a sea plane strapped to the front gun turret) but amongst these plans they have the rigging plans of how she was completed /launched.   All of the original plans apparently were destroyed in a WW2 bombing raid.  I ended up building most of my model from photographs supplied by relatives of the crew and their friends and also from various other places.  I said I would never pass these on as they were personal effects - so if you have a look at my model its as close as possible to what she was during the Battle of the River Plate.  She did have saluting guns on her - there are 2 stairways down on the bridge - the single one was fitted when she was reconstructed and the access to the search light platforms is by ladders next to the funnel.   I am unsure about the flags though.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33734.0.html

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Bentley

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 03:33:12 pm »

[size=78%]Thanks John for the prompt reply.[/size]
[/size][size=78%]On my I-Pad so will transmit a few pictures after sending them to my computer were I then know how to attach. In any case, your model is over the top when it comes to skill level. Watched your build on what pictures were found on the web over the years. The build completion far surpasses any museum models I have seem pictures of regarding Exeter. Surprising, given the history of the first major sea battle of WW2. New 1/350 1939 brass etchings may change that. But, even that, I do not think is entirely Battle of River Plate version accurate. Started mine around 2011 after an aborted smaller scratch built model and an old Iron Shipwrights resin model. Very frustrating not to be able to get proper details of what version went into battle. My magnifying glass and eyes have their limitations when applied to Britishpathe return to Plymouth pictures. Now that contract engineering has stopped, and I finally retired, it’s time to complete. Focus is on fidelity. Rework list increased after seeing your detail and craftsmanship.[/size]
[/size][size=78%]As a 12 year old building models I saw the Battle of the River Plate when it first came out in the movie theater when it was 50 cents for all day. Many years watching similar British classics: Yangtze Incident, In Which we Serve, The Cruel Sea, Sink the Bismarck etc. We in the USA are so young when it comes to any tradition, let alone naval. As they told me in a London Pub one time, I am a “Colonist.” Now my fat fingers need to navigate the verification section to send this diatribe. Best Regards, John H[/size]

Bentley

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:16:15 pm »

John W E,
Pictures attached of my 1/72 scale HMS Exeter. Rigging in progress but list of mods to be retrofitted due to your kind input. Hope I transferred this properly.

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2797-2.jpg

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2780-2.jpg

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2800-2.jpg

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2799.jpg

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2775.jpg

file://localhost/Users/jhoughtaling/Desktop/IMG_2786.jpg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.