Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "Southern-Lady" Australian Tuna & Fish trawler  (Read 17650 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: "Southern-Lady" Australian Tuna & Fish trawler
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 03:43:40 am »

Hi guys, yes I suppose we are fortunate down here with selection of hardwoods we have or had in the past, probably the same every where to get decent hard woods, the rubbish they want to sell you now with sap veins, knots ( and they do that with a smile on their faces  O0 )  mainly pine still has the leaves hanging off it, That's why I like to stick to using the Tassy oak and the Merbau ( I won't go near Balsa) , if its any consolation with the Knees ,I  use proper knees cut from a pecan nut tree to use in the stem step Knee and the stern knee I made back in the early 80's of our Family trawler ( yep and it was seasoned ) cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 04:05:02 am »

Hi there, 
 Photo  1 -  Something I didn't realize at the time , but when I first started to fit the motor to the beds ( as I had taken a measurement and allowing the shaft angle from 1 side only) made the ends plates for the beds with their sloted holes ,when I went to fit the motor thought the bed was warped (nope) the bolts running through the motor either side weren't running true to each other ( I wonder where it may have been made ????) so found I had to slot out the nice even slots on opposite corners, will be checking the next motor out for sure  >>:-( . Photo's  2 & 3 - Thought I would make a dummy engine cover , based it on a 3412 Cat, but naturally couldn't stick to the correct dimensions because of the width of the electric motor , but will pass at a glance . Photo  4 - Showing how the engine cover looks in position ( not the correct colour there or transfers on it yet). Photo's 5 & 6 - Skimming the ply down for the deck prior to the decking strips. Photo 7 - Front raised deck with ply ( thicker ply) as it won't be planked. Photo 8 - The lead ballast blocks come in handy when glue down. Photo 9 - laying the deck strips and cardboard (pitch) on the main lift out section. Photo 10 - All the decking layed ready for a sealer coat of Varnish. Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 04:32:39 am »

Hi BB,
Very nice build, question do you see any issue with motor cooling ? As it looks like the dummy CAT cover could reduce airflow around the motor.
Regards David

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 04:58:47 am »

Hi T888, actually had her launch few weeks ago ,I was planning on putting a fan blowing onto the motor , but tried her out first gave her a pretty good run around the pond for about 1 & 1/2 hrs  (on & off)  first thing I checked when finished was to see how hot the cover and motor was ,warm which surprised me, thought it would have been hotter, but I dare say when trawling with her will be a different story ,Cheers .

Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:14 pm »

You go from better to better Brian. That Engine mock up is gorgeous! I can hear the clicking of the injectors in my mind (I'm not mad honest, my imaginary friends have reassured me!) Don't worry about the knees, you know your material and we know that as you are making the model, it is your decision at every point.
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 02:55:48 am »

Hi There, some more pics of her. Photo 1 -  Applying a thinned out coat of Varnish on the decking just seal it while continuing the build. Photo 2 - Running a batten around to get the right angle of the staunchon post . Photo 3 & 4 - All the staunchon post installed and the start of the Merbau planking around. Photo 5 & 6 - These bulwarks will have the inlays up the sides and across her tail. Photo 7 - Plenty of bracing while planking the bulwarks. Photo 8 & 9 - Found this an easy way of installing the inserts. Photo - 10 - Bulwarks planked up ( less side rails and capping).....Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 02:42:15 pm »

Excellent!  :-)) :-)) :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 03:00:25 pm »

The way you tackled those inserts is very clever - looks brilliant  :-) .

Regards,
Ray.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 09:32:57 am »

Hi guys, some more of the build.....Photos  1 ,2 & 3 - The dummy engine cover with her final Cat colours and the water slides attached.
 Photo's 4 & 5 - Attaching the side capping rails. Photo 6 - Attaching the shoulder sponsons after they were steamed . Photo 7 - The start of the stern trawling gantries made mostly from Brass tubing. Photo 8 - Inserts in the base of the gantry post which sit into the extra blocks under the deck for extra support. Photo's 9 & 10 - Fitting the trawl gantries as to mark the correct angle etc of the post feet , cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 10:29:23 pm »

I forgot that you do excellent brass structures as well!

Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2019, 06:00:17 am »

Hi there, I don't know about that ballastanksian, it passes the test , but seen a lot of high class engineering on this site I would love to be able to do. still on the trawl gantries with this section of photo's. Photo 1 -  Fitting the end plates for the front stay and trawl block on the small swing arms.   Photo 2 - Ready to solder the top front stay lug.  Photo 3 - Lining up the 2 lugs on the small swing arms pivot from.  Photo's  4 , 5 & 6 - Fitting the lugs on the main gantry post where the small arms pivot from.  Photo 7 - Being a bit of a bower bird these are brass name plates of electric motors on a wrecked Tiawanese fishing vesell wrecked on Man-o-War island (in 1974 cyclone) North of Morningto Island in the Gulf Of Carpentaria, we got these off her in 1979, ( I always knew I could use them one day  O0 ). Photo 8 - This is the cross arm attached to the trawl gantrey where the trawl blocks hang from, and the 2 small shaped pieces of flat brass is from those name tags..  Photo 9 - Holding the back cross arm in position ready to be soldered on.  Photo 10 - The trawl gantries finished ,,,cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2019, 10:19:52 am »

Hi there, in this section  Photo 1 - Fitting a cover strip on the raised deck area . Photo 2 - The last of the capping rail being glued into position. Photo 3 - Using vinesion blind timber for the front studs of the step up w-house. Photo 4 - W-house base's and the front studs. Photo 5 & 6 - Installing the front and side studs. Photo 7 - I wasn't happy with the height of the front step up area so had to extend each stud . Photo 8 - Skeleton of the w-house finished . Photo ( & 10 - Ready to install the w-house beams and then the top front studs....Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2019, 01:20:06 pm »

The capping rail looks great - did you bend a piece of wood or cut it from a larger piece?

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 02:31:30 am »

Hi Mark T, I used the timber Venetian blind ( Bamboo) still took about 4 pieces each side plus the short nose section, cheers. :-)
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 02:46:35 am »

Hi there, next section of photos attached are, Photo 1 & 2 - Showing the w-house beams installed ( bit slack didn't run them through will wait till put the 2mm ply roof on then extend short sections out  O0 . Photo 3 - Attaching the 1.5 mm ply around the front of the w-house under the windows as to accommodate the sharp side corners. Photo 4 -  pre marking the front and corner windows prior to cutting them out.  Photo 5 - Also the sides of the w-house are the usual 2 mm ply. ( actually I just noticed on that photo the edge of the deck cover strip and the sponson look like they have a wobbly section in them ,they don't its the phone camera find i have distortions on some sections of photo's, probably doesn't like being dropped the amount of times it has been ??? ). Photo 6 - Attaching the 2 mm ply on the step up section of the w-house. Photo 7 , 8  & 9 - Fitting the base for the lay back eyebrow or flybridge ?, cutting in the areas for the upright studs and all ready to be installed. Photo 10 - All the studs installed , cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2019, 10:10:30 am »

Very neat and impressive build! I especially dig your Caterpillar motor model. Top notch!

Dom
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2019, 03:58:26 pm »

Nice, very nice indeed and I like the nails. :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 10:38:49 am »

Hi there, next section.....Photo 1 , 2 & 3 -  After cutting the 1 mm ply to shape from the cardboard template and gluing it into position. Photo 4 - Fitting the base for the side awnings onto the capping rail which will lift off with the w-house. Photo 5 & 6 - Shape of the side awnings and where they will be positioned. Photo 7 - Keeping everything true before fitting the capping rail on the eyebrow. Photo 8 - Inside of the side awnings, but won't be attaching them to the w-house till painting done on the w-house. Photo 9 - How she looks with the eyebrow and side awnings .
Brian  B

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 10:06:38 pm »

That is a very smooth finish on the eyebrow ply. I'm guessing you will have very little problem, if any, when it comes to the paint application.

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 08:35:27 pm »

I love the fact that you cut no corners (pardon the pun) and added detail that may not be seen such as the framing on those side pieces.

Superb as per usual Brian!
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 01:17:58 am »

Hi guys, with the ply what I have found is if I give it a coat of wood filler then sand it back you end up with a smooth base to paint on no wood grain showing.Photo 1 - The tedious job of making the  flanges or feet for all the hand rails .  Photo's 2 & 3 - After making the exhaust stack and installing on the model just didn't look right so made a lower one.  Photo's 4 , 5 & 6 -  making the Look out ( crow's nest).  Photo's 7 , 8 & 9 - Constructing the brass mast base, this will be attached to the back of the w-house ( and will lift off with the w-house) the mast will slip into the tubing and out for transporting.  ( actually at this point I messed up will show up later when completing the Mast & Boom  ??)  Photo 10 - Showing the Mk-II exhaust stack .  :-)) .....
Brian  B

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 06:19:08 am »

Hi BB
I know you have made the handrail flanges, but though you may like to know how I do mine? I use a hollow punch to punch blank disc’s from plastic card sheet and then drill the holes. This method is less tedious I find.

Enjoying your build :-)) :-))
Regards David

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 04:46:48 pm »

Just gets better Brian  :-))   It looks like a really nice scale to be working too as well.  It shows the details very well indeed.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2019, 03:05:10 am »

Hi T888, never thought of plasti card, will give that a go when i build a static model, but these for working models gives bit more strength when soldered to the uprights (especially when people start to touch them   >:-o ) Thank you for your comments Mark T , cheers.
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 03:28:49 am »

Hi there,  up to the construction of the working brass trawl winch's ,Photo 1 - Elevation view of how they should look ?.   Photo 2 - This would be where a lathe would be handy ( even better still if I knew how to use one  O0 ) oh well stick to my trusty Dremel using 1/8 inch brass plate.   Photo 3 - soldering the drums side plates on to the fixed shafts .   Photo 4 - Showing one of the drums, Before installing the drums I fitted 3 mm planking cut offs over the threaded tubbing that I used for the center bosch of the drums.  Photo 5 -  Cutting out the side plates of the winch.  Photo 6 -  Tapping  the threads for the end plates etc.  Photo 7 & 8 - Most of the cutting done.   Photo 9 - All the bits n pieces need to finish  the job (except servo's , will be using 360 deg servo's)  Cheers :-)) ...
Brian  B
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 23 queries.