Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "Southern-Lady" Australian Tuna & Fish trawler  (Read 17648 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: "Southern-Lady" Australian Tuna & Fish trawler
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2019, 04:26:12 am »

Hi there ,still continued shots of the brass winches.....Photo 1 - The winch's base.  Photo 2 - Lining up the shaft line for the side plates.   Photo 3 - Using J-X  20Kg  360 deg servos (i did a test to see if they could handle the job, should have no worries ).  Photo 4 - Working out the angle and the area for tracking at the back of the w-house position ..  Photo 5 , 6 & 7 - As to be able to lift the w-house off without disconnecting the trawl line each time, thus why the track down to the base of the w-house, and the inside bracing each section to stop any warping... Photo 8 - The coaming that will enclose the winch base.  Photo 9 - showing the drainage tubes  to be fitted in each aft corner of the coaming to drain off water from the winch drums.....Cheers   :-)) ..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2019, 02:08:51 pm »

That is one substantial piece of engineering right there Brian.  I would never have thought about drainage from the winches being used, I guess its one of those things that only people who have actually worked at sea would know.  Looks really nice!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2019, 12:17:54 am »

Hi there, next section the non working winch's ( forgot to mention in the last post, the weight of the working brass winch's comes in at 1.2 Kg)   Photo 1 & 2 - For the main deck winch and net drum end Bosch's I used cut down  .44 caliber shell's drilled out to suit the brass shafts.  Photo 3 - Most of the bits n pieces of the main and net winch's.  Photo 4 - All assembled (less hydrolic lines).  Photo's 5 & 6 - Temporary jig to achieve the correct angle of the anchor's hoarser pipe.  Photo's  7 & 8 - Anchor winch temporally sitting in its correct position.. Cheers
Brian  B

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2019, 12:27:37 am »

Some fine Brian.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2019, 01:53:32 am »

Hi There,  Photos 1 & 2 - Instead of making 2 life buoy rings for each build decided to knock a few out for future builds as well, found the right size hole saw for the inside ( which I didn't realize I had, in amongst all the junk ) then cut the remainder out on the band saw. Actually left in one length would have made a good fish measurer, for when asked how long it was once once you put your fingers in the holes you then can't stretch the truth  O0 ?.  Photos  3 , 4 & 5 -  pre fitting the stern net roller.  Photo 6 - pre fitting the Spotted gum bollard post.. Photo 7 - the fly bridge steering station.  Photo 8 - Starting to paint the inside of the bulwarks already had a thin coat of Varnish to seal the timber, she will have 1 coat of undercoat and 2 of the gloss.  Cheers  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2019, 07:44:03 am »

Hi There.  Photo 1 - Sides undercoated, she has another undercoat to be applied before the 2 gloss coats.   Photos 2 & 3 - Bottom receiving her second primer coat.  Photos  4 , 5 & 6 - The fun time of painting and more painting .  Photo's 7 &  8 - Brush coated another coat , closer to the final spray coating colour.. Cheers  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2019, 05:10:54 pm »

Its coming to life now  - I really like the way the prawn trawlers are painted in bright vibrant colours.  Looks lovely  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2019, 02:10:15 am »

Hi Mark T , thank you she was one of those models you enjoy building, I know I have build a couple that become a task just to work on them (especially when you know the aren't going to improve with looks as the build progress  O0 )..  Photo's 1 & 2 - Earlier  I remarked about a mistake with the mast and boom set up, I don't know why but I didn't allow for the boom to lift out of the mast base tube when transporting, I made the brackets on the bottom section ( fixed mast tube), instead of on the mast, a brain fade  >>:-( .  Photo's 3 ,4 & 5 -  Finally got around to making Fire buckets, came across the right size sowing thimbles that suit my 1:16 scale , still haven't been able to track down suitable  Figurines in the 1:16 scale  say 5' 8"  = 4.25 inchs or 118 mm ???.  Photo 6 - Applying the reflector tape to the Life buoy rings.  Photo  7 - Showing the side awnings and the combing fro the working winch.  Photo's 8 & 9 - Marking and fitting the copper brace straps for the mast side stay wires...cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2019, 08:33:15 pm »

Hi there, On the downhill slide now  O0 .  Photo 1 - W-house with her side awnings and her name attached .  Photo 2 - Stern towing bollard, fits in nice and snug (can be removed)..Photos 3 & 4 -  Inside my spraying booth (garden shed) for her final coat on her bottom.  Photos 5 , 6 & 7 - The hull all finished ready for the installation of her running gear .  cheers  :-)) ....
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2019, 08:34:54 pm »

You don't seem to need a lathe or a mill, you are doing your model engineering just fine, and in the style of those model engineers of old who had no access to machine tools and got on with their hand tools and steady eye.

A former member of a model engineer society I once belonged to in Chichester West Sussex (Mr Trevitt) used to make working models of historical steam engines in the forties and fifties while the manager of plantations in the far east. He even made scale roller chain for elements of the beam engines, just like you with twist drills and files.

Traditional techniques must never be underestimated.

Beautiful work as usual, I like the fire buckets!
Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2019, 09:24:51 pm »

That little pin stripe along the waterline looks great. That is a very tidy piece of paintwork.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 09:37:29 pm »

Hi there, thanks guys.......Photo 1 - She will have 2 x 12V batteries paralleled for her power supply.   Photo's  2 , 3 , 4 & 5 Before installing all of her running gear into the model, I was curious to see just how much grunt the 20 Kg 360 deg servo's actually had, so with the unit attached to the board and weighted down at one end of the garage, I attached one of my 6 Kg lead ballast block at the other end of the garage and winched it along the cement floor ( glad I didn't try this inside on the tiles as it left red skid marks on the cement ) very surprised  O0 and also nice and tight lines on the winch drums.  Photo 6 - Showing the position of the working winch, when towing the short arms on the trawl gantries swing out at 90 deg..  Photo 7 - All the running gear installed.  Photo 8 - Showing where the trawl lines pass through the back of the w-house...cheers .  :-)) .
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2019, 01:45:02 am »

BB...all very tidy as usual  O0

If the winch servos are rated to 20 kg, a more representative test would be to suspend the same 6 kg lead weight vertically down & place a 10 or 20 kg capacity Fish Scale in the vertical line & raise the weight

All things being equal, you should see an approx  ~~ 6 kg register as the indicated load on the fish scale

We only have a few similar sized Trawlers in Wollongong with very similar gear, however neither have the winch wires running through the deck cabin........looks a little dangerous  <*<

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 10:34:51 am »

Hi Derekwarner, I think i will for go testing the gear by lifting the 6 Kg block vertically , probably tear a block off, but after seeing it drag the block along I haven't any worries of the servos handling winching the net up, it won't have the same pull as with the gear in the water winching up , in reality you are actually slowly dragging the boat back while winching up, I'm not sure how the winch inside the cabin could be dangerous, as I haven't any small figurines that may get caught up in the winch, and  there is not a hope in hell the winch will rip out of the deck as it isn't screwed into balsa wood   O0 ..... Few photos of her in her finished stage . cheers  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2019, 10:40:58 am »

Hi there , some more of her prior to her launching . Cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2019, 01:58:51 pm »

Beautiful workmanship throughout.
I like the Font style. Can you recall its name?

Sincere congratulations on a superb model.
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2019, 07:17:06 pm »

This is one of the best builds I've ever seen - very cool.   :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2019, 08:07:07 pm »

Hi there, thanks guys, the font used is Vladmir script ,,,cheers :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2019, 09:23:39 pm »

That looks simply stunning  - Probably your best build yet.  Its a top job and very inspirational too  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 12:12:03 am »

I am not one who looks for flaws and faults in another person's work, and when I see a beautiful piece of work like this I find my eyes drawn deeper and deeper into the whole piece seeing how things sit and join together. This sometimes draws the eye to flaws, but I cannot see anything less than perfect on this model Brian. It is almost perfectly like a real vessel shrunk down to a model!

Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2019, 03:46:50 am »

Hi Guys, appreciate your comments.   Well this was her launch day, "Southern-Lady" on the trolley ready to get her bottom wet for the first time (could't give her a float test in the bathtub to long and to heavy to lump up the stairs), she sat perfectly in the water, after giving her a lap around the paddock I put 2 x 650 gram ballast blocks in her stern area to lift her nose at full revs. The model (less batteries) weighs 17.5 Kg or 38.5 lbs and all with the 2 x 12 V batteries and the extra ballast 22.8 Kg or 50.16 lbs, she has more than enough power (bit of an over kill) but she won't have any problems towing set of boards and net, she is spinning a 110 mm Raboesch prop which has been re shaped at full speed she will pull up in less than 1/3 of her length (yeah I know Why ??? well it tested the so called heavy coupling ,,,story for another post), It was a very pleasing result seeing her on the water the way she performed......Cheers  :-))
Brian  B

mikelimajuliet

• Shipmate
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2019, 12:24:53 am »

Good Lord! if you could scale the water effects then those photos would be indistinguishable from the real thing! :-))

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2019, 03:48:39 am »

She just needs a few fisherfolk

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2019, 09:02:41 pm »

I am so pleased that you take so many photos of building these masterpieces Brian, because a viewer at the lake side would never believe how much skill and effort goes into building these lovely boats.

She is another beautiful example of the art of model boat building.

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) 8)
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 02:16:21 am »

Who was it who said the earth [and the sea] was flat?........ {-)

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.