Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stability - how to avoid rolling upside down  (Read 10140 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
Re: Stability - how to avoid rolling upside down
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2020, 11:36:19 pm »

Well lads I accept your mathematical calculations are correct and based on sound judgment .....but when I built my 1/96 scale model of a type 15 Frigate [HMS Troubridge ] I took a more simplistic approach to the problem and fitted a 1/2kg lead weight to the underside  on the central  keel line  beneath the bridge structure and between the bilge keels  and it worked  perfectly and was admired by ex members of her crew as very lifelike to their passage in her  to the Caribbean in the early 60's

Whilst I accept that your calculations and procedures are mathematically correct and precise , my model won the hearts of the ex crew members as spot on and they breathed  a  sigh of relief as , in their opinion,  the design was very unstable due to the introduction of Aluminium superstructure fitted to a steel hull during the refit at Weights  after the Second World War conversion to a type 15 Frigate  in the mid fifty's   as unstable and thought that it would actually turn turtle  whilst travelling through the bay of Biscay on the ships work up prior to acceptance by the RN  but that's only my opinion that is based on crew heresy not statistical  fact , and they also complained at sea water sloshing around the mess decks where the joint between the two elements was seen to have split .and in later life required serious rework to maintain water integrity where the dissimilar materials were joined ..... ....but what do I know...... I'm just a model maker..... not a navel architect  %)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2020, 11:01:03 am »

.but what do I know...... I'm just a model maker..... not a navel architect 

Sounds like you're right on the button there.  :}

Colin

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2020, 12:24:51 pm »

Thank you Colin for your kind comments .but I tend to apply common sense  to these issues and whilst I admit that I am in the lower echelons of perfection , one try's to have it looking right , rather than technical excellence / perfection in every aspect .....after all its my model , and I ceased worrying about other lakeside "experts" many years ago ever since a friend explained the definition of Experts ........An.  EX.  is a has been ....and a   SPERT   is a drip under pressure ....so I rest my case  ;)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2020, 12:49:28 pm »

I think that one sailed over your head Ivor. Clue: Omphalos.

Colin

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:16 pm »

Probably right Colin , but didn't stay at the CIA for long . couldn't see the point  ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2022, 09:34:35 pm »

How Stabilisers Reduce A Ship's Roll:   https://youtu.be/A2QfV11XYD8
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.