Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd nusiance call  (Read 1554 times)

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Odd nusiance call
« on: September 27, 2019, 07:14:01 pm »

Had a typical automated call the other day which I blocked immediately. On checking the number I found it to be identical, including the area code, to my number except that the last digit was 0 rather than 2. I am puzzled, any ideas?
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Odd nusiance call
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:13:56 pm »

Sounds like a 'Progressive Dialer', just rings all the numbers possible, see if it gets an answer...
sells your number on to anyone that will buy it  ....  >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:17:36 pm »

Thank Martin
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:35:52 pm »

It's actually 'spoofing' the number being used to dial.

The number you 'see' isnt the actual number used to dial yours. This is how some of the banking scams work. They look like they are your bank's number but again, the actual number calling yours is different.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 10:53:43 pm »

A daft question -
If the caller can spoof my own number then is it correct to assume that my call blocker will read the actual number being dialled from and not my own?

Too much information to handle for this time of night.  :((
DM

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 08:40:12 am »

It's actually 'spoofing' the number being used to dial.

The number you 'see' isn't the actual number used to dial yours. This is how some of the banking scams work. They look like they are your bank's number but again, the actual number calling yours is different.

I think that this is a "feature" designed to let you know it is your bank etc calling whatever number they actually call from - or something like that - which the scammers have grabbed for their own purposes. To my mind it is a "feature" that should be controlled/regulated if allowed at all.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 09:40:30 am »

In a digital telephone switching network, the system needs to know where each end is so that the call can happen.  What we think of as the identity is just a label, although it looks like a phone number.  CLI and 1471 just give the "show" identity, not the actual call address.
Large organisations tend to run on call centres for receiving calls, with just one published number.  Whoever receives the call either deals with it or passes it to someone who can.  IN THEORY.
If one of their reps makes a call, the chances are slender that a return call will find that person, so their outgoing calls are spoofed, quite legitimately, so that the return call gets answered and hopefully sent to the right place or person or someone sitting near to them.
The problem arises when illegally dishonest people use the facility to hide their real identity to do illegal theiving. 
Yes it does need regulating, but enforcing regulation implies spending money that could go into profits.  That, and those profiting from the misuse of spoofing are invariably the strongest supporters of non-regulation.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 06:22:33 pm »

Spoofing is illigitemate, for wrong doing. Not to be confused with call centre / Cisco IP phones that are annoying. Just keep reporting the numbers.  I'll admit though TPS has its uses but down to details, useless.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 02:12:33 am »

We have so many nuisance calls in China that, for most people, if they don't know the number, they will not answer. Anyone who knows you will find some other means to contact you. This could be one of the reasons why Wechat (Chinese Whatsap) is the main means of communication here now, even within companies and other business person to person communications.
Nuisance texts have been clamped down on, I know people who used to get 30 everyday. However, telecoms fraud is on the increase.
Cheap international calls has made it possible for people to operate across borders, and avoid local regulations. In the recent years the Chinese government has, with local police assistance, arrested several Chinese gangs overseas and repatriated them for trial in China. I think that in one operation they captured over 100 people operating the fraud.

I think if we adopt Mulder's rule, 'Trust no one', and keep up to date on fraud avoidance advice, then the calls will be no more than a nuisance. But like next doors dog barking at 2 am, there is always going to be some nuisance.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.