Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bearospace Irene - Schooner Kamanik  (Read 5149 times)

Zbip57

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bearospace Irene - Schooner Kamanik
« on: September 27, 2019, 10:57:02 pm »

Greetings!  This is my first post here.
Have any of you considered building one of Gary Webb's Bearospace designs -- Schooner Irene, Schooner Annie, or Sloop Emma?

A year ago I built my Schooner Kamanik according to Gary's Irene design.  His original design featured a Bermuda rigged mainsail but his plans include an option to have gaff-rigs on both mainsail and foresail, which is the version I chose.

It sails really well, as shown here operating on Lake Ontario.

And in stormy weather on our local smaller lake just north of Ottawa, Canada.

Over the previous winter I upgraded the sail plan from its original 3-sail configuration to a more complicated 8-sail arrangement.

Here's my most recent video of Kamanik in action with all sails rigged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlp6SvjBpU

See more videos in this YouTube playlist:  http://tinyurl.com/Kamanik

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bearospace Irene - Schooner Kamanik
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:04:14 pm »

Hi well done.  When ever I feel like a laugh I go to the bearospace web site, such a nice guy and full of fun.  I love his bears driving his yacht.
All the best

Roy

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »

... such a nice guy and full of fun.  I love his bears driving his yacht.
Gary is a super nice guy, and always willing to help out with tips and suggestions on how to complete his models.  He has posted many YouTube videos under his "sailtails" username.

On his "bearospace" YouTube channel, he and his son, Spike, have made several funny stop-action videos featuring his teddy bears.  Have you seen this one with the bears building a Flat Bottom Rowing Skiff

It's the same skiff design that's carried on deck of the Irene schooner.  Before attempting the larger project of the schooner build, with the help of the bears I first constructed the much smaller skiff.  It turned out alright.  Encouraged by that success I dove right into building the schooner.  What could possibly go wrong, eh...

Here's the skiff.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »

Hi I watched the bears building the skiff, very good.  I liked that glimpse of a wooden engine, is that a home made piece?
Thanks for the link.

Roy

herrmill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 11:41:24 am »

Thats one lovely schooner!  :-)) 

Haven't done a scratch build in over a decade & just got plans yesterday for both Emma & Irene. I plan to dive deep into Emma in the coming days once my printer reopens after the CNY holiday & save the schooner later in the spring.

After reading over the build threads & watching Gary's excellent video tutorials, I've gone over the plans received & it seems like its one of the KISS builds - about as simple as it gets. Don't have any deadlines but am certainly itching to get this beauty on the water.

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 01:25:57 am »

Here's a video of a recent sailing outing during some stormy weather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhTHnjM-iE

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 01:51:26 am »

Those are some handsome models. The onboard camera images are, oh, can't think of quite the perfect word, evocative is a word coming to mind.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 04:26:42 pm »

Wonderful video and camera shots and beautiful model.  Can't get any more real than that.  Tks for sharing.   Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 02:24:17 am »

Dennis....I couldn't quite understand how the onboard camera's were placed, and clearly outboard of the hull and in such a manner to ensure stability ??

At 2:27, we see the video image from a second camera looking fwd, but located on the port side.....but no visual evidence of the mounting for the original camera video on the stdb side, amidships looking fwd & aft

I agree absolutely outstanding imaging  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 06:29:00 am »

Great model, great videos.  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 04:59:13 pm »

Did he use a drone?   Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 01:30:52 am »

I questioned a drone Dennis....and it was apparent that a drone was used in his first video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlp6SvjBpU  with the changing relationship of the vessel :o , to the location or orientation of the viewing device

However found it difficult to understand such with the last video

The sail winch servos are clearly audible, the flutter of the sails as is the sound of the hull passing thru the water 
Yet, the is no wurring sound of a drone rotors thru the air
The stability between the vessel deck & mast appears in sync to the viewing camera eye
On a few occasions, the viewing eye becomes partially/suspended below water level......
There is no obvious drag with the viewing eye relative to it being partially/submerged

At the end of the video, a single young chap appears to lift the hull out of the water after putting a conventional RC set down......

There is a dog & someone else sitting in a chair, but nothing obvious

very interesting

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 01:57:24 am »

I couldn't quite understand how the onboard camera's were placed, and clearly outboard of the hull and in such a manner to ensure stability ??

I used my cellphone for the one external shot starting at 1:52.  It's a little awkward trying to film holding the cellphone while steering the boat at the same time.  The onboard footage was all recorded using an old GoPro Hero3 in a waterproof case.

With a few different GoPro mounting accessories cobbled together into a gooseneck, the position and aim of the camera is easily adjusted.  A little wooden clamp fastens the gooseneck anywhere along the boat's gunwale railing.  The standard thread on the bolt matches any normal tripod mounting, so it screws right into the GoPro mount and tightens the clamp onto the boat's cap rail.
IMG 4719" border="0

The video uses clips combined from multiple different outings, with the camera moved or merely re-aimed between sailings.  One had the camera mounted looking forward from the stern rail.  Then the camera was mounted midship hanging outboard, first looking rearward, then forward, or aimed straight across the deck.
IMG 4717" border="0

In strong winds the boat will sometimes heel over far enough to dip the rail under, with any water then quickly flowing back out through the scuppers.  But with the camera hanging outboard of the rail at midship, it will occasionally dunk the camera under.  The camera is in a waterproof case.  But with the camera dragging over the side, it does cause a lot more water than usual to splash across the deck.  In the shots looking forward from the stern rail, when the camera is not hanging over the side, you can see there normally is hardly any water going onto the deck.
IMG 4718" border="0

GoPro" border="0

The weight of the camera hanging that far outboard doesn't seem to affect the boat at all.  It's incredibly stable.  You could hang a brick over the side and the boat would hardly notice.
I've even done a video with the camera suspended from the stern rail completely underwater.  The only noticeable difference is that there's a lot more gurgling water noise, because the camera case is not particularly streamlined.  See video:  https://youtu.be/tjqf6Kmk49A

Underwater" border="0

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 02:08:13 am »

This video includes a few more external shots for a better overall view of the boat, and you can see how the GoPro camera is carried on the boat.  Again, I moved the camera several times to make this video.
https://youtu.be/1ISpCUeyEBs

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 03:15:17 am »

I questioned a drone Dennis....and it was apparent that a drone was used in his first video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKlp6SvjBpU  with the changing relationship of the vessel , to the location or orientation of the viewing device.

Ha!  I only wish I was that adept at flying my drone.   %) [More on that later...]

No, that video "Schooner Kamanik - Beauty Day for Sailing" (https://youtu.be/OKlp6SvjBpU) was shot using an Insta360 One, a spherical-view camera.

It is a really nifty bit of kit.  It has two fisheye lenses, one facing forward, the other backward.  Between the two lenses, the camera "sees" and records an entire 360° spherical image.  And it digitally removes the camera itself from the recorded image.

The editing software allows you to do all sorts of cool things.  You can just post the entire recorded spherical video as-is.  That then allows the YouTube viewer to choose their own viewing angles.  This one is in stabilized mode.  That means the gyro-stabilized image remains aimed in one direction with the horizon level, until you click-and-drag to rotate the view to another angle.  The view then remains fixed on your chosen compass quadrant of the sphere as the boat moves and turns under the camera.  If you rotate the view straight down, you can see my little wooden camera mount clamp on the gunwale railing, but the camera itself is invisible.  You can still see its shadow though.  Try this one:  https://youtu.be/NzUJADyDQw0

Compare that to this next video in non-stabilized mode.  In this mode you can aim the camera view at the bow of the boat, for instance, and it will stay pointed at the bow.  The horizon tilts as the camera rolls with the boat.  Or aim the view instead up at the topmasts, and the view stays looking up at that angle as the boat moves.  https://youtu.be/wazhC7-KZ70

Or, using the editing software, I can preset points along the timeline where I want to have the camera view aimed in my chosen direction with the view zoomed in or out.  The software then smoothly shifts the view from one chosen viewing angle to the next.  That's what I did in the "Beauty Day for Sailing" video.  I had the 360 camera mounted on a long extendable selfie-stick, giving that high up view.  But that was asking a lot of my little wooden clamp.  You can see the image shakes quit a bit as the selfie-stick wobbles.  https://youtu.be/OKlp6SvjBpU

This is just a short extension, not the long selfie-stick.  But it's how the 360 camera is mounted.
Insta360 Mount 2" border="0

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 03:36:25 am »

Come with me in my canoe for a 10-minute tour of our lake.     https://youtu.be/g85tIoM_xRA

This was all shot using the Insta360 camera.  The camera doesn't move at all.  It's firmly mounted at the end of the selfie-stick and clamped to the gunwale of my canoe.  I only occasionally adjusted the length of the selfie-stick, stood it straight up, or extended it out to the side.  I can keep my hands free to paddle the canoe while the camera records everything in a complete 360° sphere.  Aiming the camera view, zooming in or out, all of that is accomplished later with the editing software.  The trippy tiny-planet effects at 4:50 and 8:10 are done by zooming all the way out or in.

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 03:49:37 am »

Ha!  I only wish I was that adept at flying my drone.   %) [More on that later...]

I decided I really needed to build my own model schooner after seeing my friend sailing his.  He asked me if I could do a video of his sailboat using my drone.

The video turned out really nice, except for the part where I crashed my drone into his sailboat!!!   :-))   D'oh!

This could have ended very badly, with both my drone and his boat at the bottom of the lake.  He didn't even have the hatch covers installed on his boat.  My drone tangled in his rigging, nearly rolling his boat onto its side.  As it was, he miraculously managed to bring the boat back to shore with no damage to either the drone or the boat.

See video:  https://youtu.be/PIbjUBKf8hw

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 03:57:05 am »

Oh the wonders of technology.  Tks for sharing gents.  Dennis

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 04:07:11 am »

As Dennis said, and thanks also for confirming how these videos were captured..........'world-class photography' ....... :-)) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Zbip57

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2022, 02:43:45 pm »

At the end of the video, a single young chap appears to lift the hull out of the water after putting a conventional RC set down......
There is a dog & someone else sitting in a chair

Ah you silver-tongued smoothie.  ;)

That single young chap is me.  I'll be turning 65 years old this year, and my wife would object to you calling me single.

My 90 year old mom is sitting on the steps accompanied by her dog, Benny, the Swamp Hippohttps://youtu.be/KGptdxONjdY

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 12:42:41 am »

Well....single [person]  %)  was to confirm we could not see a Team Effort of sailing, driving, filming. & navigating etc

.....& any person under 72 to me is young  {-) 

It is great your Mum can spend time with you outside...you are lucky

However must pass on that dog paddling through that green slimy mush. >>:-(  .then getting up on the family lounge

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 3.947 seconds with 22 queries.