Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 12m SSRS Victoria Class Lifeboat  (Read 21948 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: 12m SSRS Victoria Class Lifeboat
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:05 am »

Hi Kim, thanks for the recommendation, i will give Iain a call.

One of the more tricky parts of the build, fitting the Jet Drives, is now done. I saw on another forum where someone had done a really neat job by putting a frame around the area to be glued, to prevent the excess from spilling over and looking messy. So i copied this, and it looks pretty good. I have used a slow setting Epoxy Adhesive for this job.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2020, 08:49:18 am »

So tidy these little Coffer Dams Charlie  :-)) .......a simple nitrile O-ring is great  to form the ellipse with a dab of Superglue at the intersection of a propeller shaft thru the hull ...then fill the ellipse with the epoxy glue

Nothing worse than seeing a beautiful build degraded by a spread out raggy pond of glue in the hull  :o

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2020, 01:28:03 pm »

Very true Derek. Even though these will be hidden from view under the deck, where no-one will ever see them, just knowing they were messy would be unsatisfactory!

Quote from: derekwarner
Nothing worse than seeing a beautiful build degraded by a spread out raggy pond of glue in the hull  :o

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2020, 08:16:38 am »

For the last couple of weeks work on the boat has paused whilst i have been working on a little side project. A couple of years back i built a Solent Class Lifeboat, which is designed to be launched down a Slipway. I always wanted to launch my boat down a Slipway, so i have built myself a proper Roller Slipway! The design is pretty simple, just a plywood base with a pair of battens 30mm apart in the centre, just wide enough for the keel and a bit extra to allow for clearance. I made some Nylon Rollers (On my new Proxxon Lathe!) and these are mounted on a short length of Brass 4mm Bar, which fit into holes drilled into the battens. There are a further 2 battens, one each side, to support the Bilge Keels. Total length of the Slipway is 2.4m, and the whole contraption is made of 2 pieces which slot together, for easier storage and transport. The raised end is supported by folding legs, and the lower end rests on the ground. There is a 'Stopper' device mounted in the centre of the keel, which is sprung loaded to return to the 'Stop' position. This prevents the boat from going down the slipway, until required. This is attached to a cord which when pulled, moves the Stopper so that it lays flat, thus releasing the boat to roll down the Slipway. When the boat is pulled back up the Slipway, the Stopper just pivots down, so as not to impede the recovery. I have attached a few photos that i took yesterday, when i tried this out for the first time. I think it all went quite well! I have also uploaded a couple of video clips onto my YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMiR9mbayMsI0KTpN-SVd6w?view_as=subscriber

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2020, 11:11:30 am »

What a genius Charlie,
That is so clever in both design and operation. As for the the outcome, you must be well pleased. Time well spent and so innovative! And finally, your great photos have just capture the whole event........just like the real thing. Well done, yet again something totally different and a success.
I'm sure this will 'draw a crowd', WHEN we are allowed to!
Regards,
Kim [C.C.]

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2020, 09:26:35 am »

Thanks Kim! Hopefully in the not too distant future i can demonstrate this at some regattas.

Back to the boat, and i have been working on fitting all of the RC components. I have made a removable tray out of 3mm Ply, onto which i have attached 2x Steering and 2x Reverse Bucket servos, as well as the ESCs, the Action units and the Receiver. I don't know if this is the best configuration as there are probably multiple ways to set this up. I also still have to work out how the Trim tabs will operate, and where to mount those Servos. So i may have to redesign this whole setup. I fitted the deck just to see what the internal access is like. The Jet Lubricating points were not accessible, so i am going to have to design a removable hatch on the Aft Deck.

I'm now awaiting delivery of a new radio system, before i can test out the setup.

marco

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Is Great !
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2020, 10:30:13 am »

Hi charlie ,

I discovered your post and it's with interest that I read it . Very big work of preparation for the mould but a great success for the hull . I will follow with interest the end of your project because I have ordered myself 2 water jet 24mm at ocean works to install them on board shannon class 1/16 .

Marco
if you don't know ask , if you know share

Canterbury Coxswain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Is there anything other than lifeboats and yachts?
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2020, 10:46:57 am »

Charlie,
Knowing you a little, as I do, I know you will have thought the access hatch solution through quite thoroughly. However, sitting here with the thunder rolling around and a little welcome summer rain falling I have two small suggestions:
  • could tubing [of whatever preference] be fitted to the top of the oiling access and run forward to the present access hatch and have a solid block that could support a syringe injection of lubricant, or....
  • two small circular deck plate access points, turned on a lathe and some 15mm - 20mm mqximum [a little like those on some of the older style lifeboats - flush with the deck] directly above the lubrication holes on the jet drives. This could have a fixed pipe so the syringe could be used at this point, or else give access for a custom built syringe to be given access to the lubrication point. This might not be to the exact layout of the actual boat, but would blend and look normal, without the need for a complete removable deck plate.
Just suggestions, possibly already thought of and rejected................
All the best,

Kim

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 11:45:53 am »

Morning Charlie.........

T
his is interesting seeing your servo control cables [1 x wire inside 1 x orange sheath, inside 1 x white sheath] used in model engineering :-))

In Marine Engineering these equates to 'Bowden Cables' [a reinforced control cable capable of transmitting high longitudinal loads {over short distances}] and still used in Deck Hydraulic componentry

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowden_cable

Have you chosen this system purely for reinforcement or rigidity?.....

Watching on in interest  %)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2020, 08:19:50 pm »

Standard model aircraft control snakes, there is no central wire just threaded rods screwed into the end of the plastic inner to allow the fitting of a clevis link. Bowden cables are still used in planes with a twisted multi strand cable in the center but plastic snakes are more commonly used as they are lighter. They have the advantage that the control run does not have to be straight but can be bent, in extreme cases a curve of 90 degrees has been used ( aileron linkages from a center servo) When used for curved linkages the outer really needs to be supported at several places or you can lose some movement on the inner.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2020, 08:30:48 pm »

I thought i would wait until i had some progress to report, before replying....
@Kim - Thanks for your suggestions re the access hatch. I do have an idea how i am going to do this, but i was really waiting until i had finished the RC setup, so i could gauge what access would be required. I do like the idea of a lubricating tube though, that would make the maintenance a lot easier
@Marco - i was so impressed with the quality of the 28mm Jets from Ocean Works, that i went ahead and ordered a pair of the 24mm Jets. I'm not sure what i will use them for at the moment, but i have them ready for a future project!
@Derek - I have used standard RC model Aircraft Snakes, due to their flexibility. The Jets come supplied with Stainless Steel Rods, to control the Steering and the Reversing Bucket. However i cannot see how these could ever be successfully used, as there will be vertical movement of the Bucket linkage, and horizontal movement of the steering linkage, that you just would not be able to accommodate with a solid rod.

Since my last post i have completely redesigned the RC setup, and made a new Servo Tray. This now holds 6x Servos, and allows the Batteries to be placed almost exactly amidships, which is the best position for achieving the correct trim and stability. I have also now received my Radiolink T8FB 8-Channel Tx/Rx from Howes. This seems to be a big improvement over my old Planet RC system. Once i had this setup and working, i was able to trim the snakes to the correct length, and get the servos connected to the Jets. I was planning to use the Snakes for the Trim-Tab controls as well, but the radius necessary to go from the almost vertical position in the Transom, to the horizontal position of the Servos, was too tight. Therefore i have made a 90 degree linkage to cope with the bend, and have used the supplied Stainless Rods to connect the Servos to this Linkage. The photos should explain this better than my words!

I managed to record a short video of the Jets being controlled, before it was time for dinner!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188396953@N05/50286580728/in/album-72157714284998633/

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2020, 08:18:08 pm »

Once i had installed the RC Gear it became clear that a removable hatch in the aft deck would be required in order to access both the Reverse Bucket linkages, and the Jet Lube points. So i made a GRP Moulding for the Recess; a matching hole was cut in the deck, and the Moulding was bonded to the deck. The Deck in this location is curved in 2 axes, so i decided the only was to create a hatch with the correct curves, was to create a GRP layup on the corresponding area on the Deck Moulding, and create a GRP hatch. This was finished off with 1.5mm styrene sides.  Because the hatch is a flush fit, it will be impossible to remove it from the outside, so i fitted a small lever mechanism underneath the deck, which when i push downwards, will just lift the hatch open, and allow it's easy removal. Today i carried out a leak test in the bath, and there was only a very small amount of water ingress, probably through one of the 20 screw holes that hold the Jet Units onto the Transom. This can be fixed with a small blob of sealant in each of the holes when i do the final assembly. Now that this has been done, next job is to strip out all of the RC Gear so i can bond the Deck to the Hull. Then i will be able to start on the wrap-around foam fender system, and also trim the Wheelhouse Moulding to size.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2020, 05:19:32 pm »

The deck is now bonded to the hull and all faired in. Deck Hatch is also fitted now, and the Wheelhouse Moulding has been trimmed to height and profiled to fit the deck.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2020, 08:15:33 pm »

Wheelhouse Roof moulding is now fitted (temporarily). And the rear of the Wheelhouse area including the upper steering position is now in progress.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2020, 02:33:03 pm »

Nothing to report build wise, but i did take a trip at the weekend down to the Isle of Thanet to see a launch of the soon to be retired Mersey Class Lifeboat at Margate. Unfortunately this will be the last All-Weather Lifeboat to be stationed here, as the local residents objected to the RNLI building a bigger Boathouse to accommodate the larger Shannon Class, which was planned. I also took the opportunity to take some photos of the first ever Trent Class to go on station, at Ramsgate.

I also took a bunch of Videos see here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMiR9mbayMsI0KTpN-SVd6w?view_as=subscriber

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2020, 09:09:52 pm »

Great footage, Charlie! Many thanks for sharing,

Regards,

Arno

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2020, 09:11:13 am »

Next job is to make the rear of the wheelhouse / upper steering position. This will also be made from GRP, so i made 3 separate mouldings. These are the Door Entrance Archway, a flat panel which will become the rear face of the wheelhouse, and a small section of Roof Profile. Last photo hopefully shows what is required.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2020, 09:15:10 am »

And for any Shannon fans, i was down at Hastings last Sunday, and took this Video!

https://youtu.be/eRIQpSxF-ew

davejo90

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2020, 09:40:29 am »

And for any Shannon fans, i was down at Hastings last Sunday, and took this Video!

https://youtu.be/eRIQpSxF-ew

I must say you have a very steady hand Charlie.

Not having seen that launch before it wasn't until the video was 1m.15 seconds in I realised where it being steered from.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2020, 03:21:56 pm »

Glad you noticed that Dave. It's actually much harder to make a decent video, than take a photo. You have to simultaneously Pan, Tilt and Zoom, all whilst keeping the camera steady to avoid camera shake, and keep maintaining a level horizon. And you have to keep doing this for the duration of the take, which really takes some concentration and planning!

I must say you have a very steady hand Charlie.

Not having seen that launch before it wasn't until the video was 1m.15 seconds in I realised where it being steered from.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2020, 03:27:07 pm »

:o

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2020, 09:36:37 pm »

:-)) O0 :-))

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2020, 04:22:01 pm »

The basic Wheelhouse structure, including the Upper Steering Position is pretty much completed now. This is entirely made from GRP and i think it has turned out rather well! There is one last GRP Moulding to make, which is the Gantry Structure, onto which sits the mast and radar. That will be my next task.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2020, 04:45:51 pm »

Looking better with the windows cut out.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2022, 09:53:41 am »

It's been a while! New town, new home, and finally a new shed! Time to get building again. So i just got the fendering fitted. This is just Balsa blocks sanded down to the correct profile. Next job is to cover with GRP.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.