Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone able/willing to do a CAD design  (Read 2894 times)

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
Anyone able/willing to do a CAD design
« on: October 05, 2019, 06:06:44 pm »

I'd like to get a custom mount designed/printed for a 540 motor. Nothing complicated,  just base plate with holes, and a right-aangled vertical plate for the motor. I don't really have the time to learn 3d cad software - anyone out there able to chuck summat together for me..? Even if its just the cad files, not the actual printing. 'Buy you a drink or two'

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Anyone able/willing to do a CAD design
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:02:27 pm »

This could be interesting Colh107... I would like a couple of items too!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 03:20:30 pm »

I've no doubt there's professionals who could be called upon, but for one-off items I imagine the cost would be unfeasible - probably 3 figures £'s, even at modest hourly rates.
I use FreeCAD at work, just for viewing and tweaking existing 3D models [of housings etc] as part of designing PCBs. I'll maybe try to find some time to have a play at creating stuff - there's a few tutorials which seem to give a good starting point for simple stuff.
I could do it old-school way and fabricate from ABS sheet, but makes it reliant on fairly accurate drilling/cutting/jigging, which I'm not too well set up for in current house.
Will let you know if I get anywhere!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 06:59:48 pm »

Forgive me if I'm being thick, but what's wrong with the tried and tested aluminium angle motor mounts?

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 07:18:32 pm »

For the case I'm thinking of at the mo', I have a base plate mounted across the keel, and a prop shaft epoxied in. Therefore I don't have freedom on the height of the mount - it needs to fit the existing mounting bolts, and place the shaft at the correct height. I've looked around for off-the-shelf with correct or usable dimensions (if that's what you were suggesting), but to no avail.

I could bend a piece of ali, I guess, but chances of rubbish bend/drilling are high..... Plus, I'm a nerd   :D  - be nice to get it just right, and maybe learn some new skills along the way  :-)
(Possible follow-ons, if I get there over the winter, would be a motor-mounting 'wedge', plus a rudder box, for a Thimble - so finding/learning the skills could be cool n handy)[/size]

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 08:10:21 am »

If you're after 3D printed and designed items I'd be happy to help. I'm no genius at CAD but I can generally achieve what I want to.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 08:32:43 am »

if you look at a motor mount made to the angle of the shaft where it comes through you could arrange a slotted hole in the baseplate of the motor mount to allow forward and backward adjustment to adjust the motor height (alignment). as a CAD professional I do mess around with 3d printing in my spare time, unfortunately at the moment my time is limited as I am going to have a weeks holiday from the end of this week, that probably means all my spare time in October is now fully booked.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 01:27:51 pm »

.... I did have a post here on Mayhem about convert / generating a 3D model from 2D ship lines plans....... can't find it anywhere now...    %%

£1 to RNLI to anyone that can find it for me!
    O0
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

.... I did have a post here on Mayhem about convert / generating a 3D model from 2D ship lines plans....... can't find it anywhere now...    %%

£1 to RNLI to anyone that can find it for me!
    O0

Nearest I've found is  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15182.msg75613.html

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 04:57:56 pm »

Already have a laser cut design to suit a 400 type Mabuchi - easy enough to modify for a 540. We do designs for people all the time and thanks to the internet its easy to send the cad file. We charge a nominal R150 for a complex one off design which works out at about a tenner (not 3d - which we don't do)- in this case would be happy with the price of an ale bunged to my sister in the UK. 
We do quite a lot of part/component drawings for locals - not 3d however - charges depend on complexity. Could do the same for anyone living in UK who are interested.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 05:22:04 pm »

Nearest I've found is  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15182.msg75613.html

.... I'm sure I posted not too long ago, a Puffer plan...... but I 'could' just be going mad.... as unlikely as that sounds!   {-)

bk1973

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 05:49:49 pm »

Happy to help, drop me a sketch of what your wanting, and i can drop by STL file for printer.

B

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 07:09:26 pm »

.... I'm sure I posted not too long ago, a Puffer plan...... but I 'could' just be going mad.... as unlikely as that sounds!   {-)

I wonder if I posted it on the Mayhem Facebook group.... good luck trying to find anything Facebook a 2nd time!

The basic request was to convert standard 2D ship line plans to 3D (STL), for scaling and possibly Vac Forming purposes.

IE. These hull lines for the MMI magazine TID boat...

( Distorted to prevent copyright issues )

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 06:13:55 pm »

I use FreeCAD at work, just for viewing and tweaking existing 3D models [of housings etc] as part of designing PCBs. I'll maybe try to find some time to have a play at creating stuff - there's a few tutorials which seem to give a good starting point for simple stuff.
Will let you know if I get anywhere!

Been having a play this afternoon. Some of my elements aren't constructed in best way I suspect, so creating the STL is a bit too manual - but getting there! (Also need to figure out some curved slots in the front face...)
Looking at it, I'll probably rotate motor 90degrees too, so the weight is 'hung' vertically.

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 06:59:42 pm »

For info folks - I'd never realised this - Windows' "Print 3D" app (STL viewer) has a click-thru to 'order online'. That design of mine is getting priced starting at around £15.  £630 in silver.... though only £485 in titanium!  %)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.