Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Remora.  (Read 267 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Vic Smeed Remora.
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »

I am about to start building my second Remora model - I built the first one from the free plans in the December 1964 Model Maker magazine.

The first one was built and taken to Exmouth with me when I got married and then followed us to Sticklepath (Barnstaple) a few years later.

Unfortunately when a job change moved me and my young family up north a few years later, lots of thing had to be given away due to a lack of space (and no doubt partly due to my modelling hobby) and my prized Remora boat complete with an OS 21 marine engine were given away (along with my Suzie Q!) to a young family opposite!

The boat was painted by myself in an unlikely orange and yellow colour scheme (!), and of all the things I had to part with or leave behind, this particular model boat was the one thing I regretted and missed the most!

The chances of it still surviving in the North Devon area are so slim as to be non existent, so my winter project for this year will be to start making some paper templates and start building a long overdue replacement.

Colours used in the 1960's and 70's may not be to todays taste, so the new Remora may not be painted in the same yellow and orange colours that I thought look so "cool" at the time - if you can see a copy of the Model Maker cover concerned - substitute the white for yellow and the red for orange and you will be getting close to my old "pride and joy".

Does anyone know if a glass fibre hull is available for the Remora by any chance?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »

Here's a link to some interesting articles - hope it helps you in some way  :-)
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=83121&p=15

Regards,
Ray.
Pop top campervan needed

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:27 AM »

Thanks Ray,

The link to the free full size download plans and the original article pages from Model Maker 1964 will be valuable for some and is very interesting to see.

Fortunately I still have the original magazine complete with the original free plans that I built my first Remora from back in the 1960's, and I have been able to keep them both in good condition so I can use them again.

Having said that, if anyone made a fibre glass hull I would love to buy one as it would save a lot of time - even though building from plan with traditional materials is very satisfying I would like to get a Remora back on the water a little quicker if possible!

Unlike my first Remora that was powered by an OS marine engine, this one will be electric powered.

I would like to find a good combination of motor and prop with LiPo power packs to give a good crisp performance - maybe not as wild as my Blackjack 29 or Alpha 1000 - but even that may be a possibility as I remember the hull (with suitable spray rails added) was more than capable of handling the ic power and could probably cope with a fast electric installation very well!

......not bad for a boat that was originally designed as a "steering model" !

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:26:13 PM »

I've got a remora
Mine is fitted with 3528- 1250kv motor turning a standard 40mm plastic prop on 3s lipos 3000ma
The esc is a 40amp aircraft one.
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 06:11:31 PM »

I've got a remora
Mine is fitted with 3528- 1250kv motor turning a standard 40mm plastic prop on 3s lipos 3000ma
The esc is a 40amp aircraft one.

Thanks for the info    :-))   

My guess is with a 3 cell LiPo it will be quite brisk !
Pages: [1]   Go Up