Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Common are Water Spouts?  (Read 1693 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
How Common are Water Spouts?
« on: September 25, 2019, 10:34:24 am »

By water spouts I mean rotating columns of water that go from the surface up into the cloud layer like a water twister. I have seen two, each on a different Ocean, over the last 12 months. Prior to this I had thought them rare but now I am not so sure?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: How Common are Water Spouts?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 10:49:33 am »

There are several reported around the UK each year.
Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 08:01:39 am »

They're frequently seen off the coast of NSW, and probably elsewhere around Australia as well. Back in June 2010 one came ashore at Lennox Head, between Byron Bay and Ballina, causing considerable damage We were living there at the time and, while we didn't suffer any damage, others were not so lucky. A total of 12 dwellings were destroyed, or so badly damaged that they were later demolished, and many others suffered extensive damage. It was only small, about 50 metres in diameter, but the power of it was incredible. A total of five waterspouts were seen off the coast at the same time, but only two came ashore. The other went into coastal heathland, so didn't cause any property damage.

The attached photos were taken by a resident of the village who captured the twister as it crossed the beach. If you look closely at photo 3 you can see flying debris near the base of the column, and in photo 4 the second twister can be seen as well, crossing the beach near the right edge of the photo.

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:16:45 am »

Hi Peter, you must be close to heading home ? ( holidays over   ;) ) talk about Waterspouts Dad had  seven ( 7 ) around him one morning out off Cape Byron  (early 60's) while trapping he had the 303 loaded ready to go  :-)) .
Brian  B

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:32:00 am »

They are more common than I would have thought.
I am surprised that they can survive over land - even if only briefly - as I had thought that water was an essential part of them.
Nice to see at a distance but not too close. 

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:08:28 pm »

Hi

Seen a few of the coast here in North Norfolk (Sheringham) over the years.

Also seen the land equivalent when on holidays in Australia, dirt devils, the swirling columns of hot air picks up dust.

It's the fast rotation of rising hot air that causes these phenomena, if they form over water a water spout occurs, if over land it would be a dirt devil.

John.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 12:52:52 am »

Hi Peter, you must be close to heading home ? ( holidays over   ;) ) talk about Waterspouts Dad had  seven ( 7 ) around him one morning out off Cape Byron  (early 60's) while trapping he had the 303 loaded ready to go  :-)) .

Hi Brian, yes, we're home. Didn't get to sailing last Sunday as one of our grandsons had an engagement party, and we had some of the family staying with us on Sunday. Will be there next time.

Peter.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 12:56:11 am »

They are more common than I would have thought.
I am surprised that they can survive over land - even if only briefly - as I had thought that water was an essential part of them.
Nice to see at a distance but not too close.

They dissipate very quickly once they hit land, but those at Lennox Head lasted long enough to do serious damage. Most of the damage was less than 100 metres from the beach.

Peter.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:38:46 am »

Big one went thru Auckland NZ westhaven marina security camera show a 15 metre catamaran being tossed 30 odd metres then it went across the harbour, and slammed into a massive super yacht, causing a knock down the mast spreader lights show her heeling over, it was so strong it broke 14 mooring lines the keel lifted the marina pier up the poor second engineer was the only one on board he started the yacht up and motored out to the harbour and anchored up. Will try to up load the footage tassie48

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 09:57:01 pm »

When working on a gas station in the UK we were doing an air test on a large buried container. The 2" vent pipe came up in a large puddle not far above the surface. The pressure was about 0.25barg. After venting for a while I noticed little peaks about an inch high forming, a couple turned into water spouts a few inches high. These collapsed and were replaced by others. This went on for about 15min. Not spectacular but fascinating, shame no camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.