Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: building BOKA Alpine  (Read 4206 times)

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
building BOKA Alpine
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:01:29 am »

My name is Peter, retired ex seaman (Chief engineer and after master on AHT and tugs) last 20 years worked as TFM in a German Shipping company and now time to built 1 of the strongest tug ever ordered by a Dutch company the Fairmount Alpine, better known now as BOKA Alpine. I make her different then original as NO rudders, No prop shafts, NO stern trust but 2 x Azimuth Schottels that turn 360 degrees and driven for steering and propulsion by belt with vertical placed Electric motors. Then I'm making a helideck too with all what comes with it.
As Billing kits are great but due to the fact I change the propulsion and it will give more power and also more force to the built itself I decide to reinforce the tug in bottom and top so not breaking apart afterwards.
Also the lower bow part and surroundings of the bow trust is made of massive wood to scope with the strength and in same time securing / watertight the bow trust.
Want to put some more pics here from the day I start building it but haven't find out how. Maybe somebody can give me a hint how to do that and where to put them.
Present status finished sanding and ordered the epoxy to apply outside and make her permanent watertight as picture shows.
Will let you know when done.
Brgds
Peter
You never to old to learn!

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
Re: building BOKA Alpine
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:17:00 am »

Looks Good!  :-)) :-))

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 09:25:31 am »

OK, re-seized all pics and will drop them here.
If this is the wrong place pls inform me and I will move it or delete it whatever is needed.
Guess the pics don't need more clarification but if having questions pls advice.
Peter

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:43:33 am »

As in the previous post I did put only the pics that are relevant but having until now more then 200 pics guess this is a bit to much.
Anyway if there are people that wants to see other pics more detailed I'm willing to put them here.
Now ordered the epoxy for the outside hull and sanding again before any paint is coming on to it.
I only have the weekends to work on it as going to the UNI here in Luton to obtain my BSc in business.
You can say I'm to old but believe me, you NEVER to old to learn and this time having already the praxcis during the last 15 years as Fleet Manager I want to have my certificate as well but it takes 4 years to do that!
As on my previous built 20++ years ago from the Zwarte Zee and some others I will make the water line when I have all equipment inside the built included ballast if need.
Have a special method for that but will tell you later.
It will have a white line in between the underwater paint and the topside above the waterline.
For fenders I'm going to use rubber line in the same fashion as original but not with wooden strips but rubber.
The tow roller on the backside will be mounted later as so the Schottels.
Will put here a schematic of the drive from the Schottels so you can have an idea how it will be.
Will revert later as progress comes.
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:40:16 pm »

I know this model inside out and I really enjoyed building mine - Its looking great Peter and its nice to see a different spin on a fantastic ship  :-))   Please keep the updates coming!

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 04:15:04 pm »

Mark T, I also know those vessels inside / outside.
Did the latest Inspection on this one last year when BosKalis took them over.
But have sailed on several AHT in my time as Chief engineer and later as master too before I changed to be a Fleet Manager in Germany office of a shipping company.
Anyway I changed some issues in this building as you may have noticed and to me it comes around as I expected.
Got still a lot of works to be done but the hull is finished and ready for the epoxy what has been ordered.
After that start above decks with accommodation and bridge.
So I will post the pics here as I finalise issues and you will see them too.
Thanks for your comments
Hope you still have yours, who knows we may meet each other ones
brgds
Peter

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 04:32:21 pm »

Hi Peter nice to have someone who's actually worked on the vessel here  :-))

Here's my boat - there's loads of pictures to browse through

https://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/bXv

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 07:56:23 pm »

Mark T, thanks for the pics and yes I'm having a different building sequence then you did when building it.
Doesn't matter to be honest as long the product will be the same.
Far as I can see Billing has changed the measurements of some parts in the hull as I have only used 4 (max) in the kim as you did with 6 or 7 wooden strips.
Also the railings I did first by hand but nowadays you can buy them complete fixed and I will go for that what saves a lot of time too.
Yes I have worked on board those ships and lately when I was an independent surveyor after my retirement I had this opportunity to actually visit the vessel as the Bank wants to have a report about the status and value of the vessel so I did that.
Now I'm home retired and with 71 years old I can say seen it, done that. But then again, to sit in my chair doing nothing is not my style so as I told before doing this study here on the UNI.
In my spare time making this building and enjoy every minute of it doing that. I will not have on the inside epoxy but only the outer hull after 3 x filler and sanding it.
Will see if it is watertight afterwards in the bath and take it from there.
Thanks for the sharing of the pics from yours, appreciate that.
Again, have a great weekend ahead,
brgds
Peter

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 02:24:36 pm »

good day all,

tried to have something uploaded here but failed to do so.
Not finished yet as weather is working against me so no way I can do anything outside in the pouring rain.
But did something to it like kim keels, change the mast, the uptake to the helideck and made the railings between the funnels and the mast platform.
Now already sand but need some small items like the kim keel to do when the weather is better then now.
Anyway, ordered the other railings in the Netherlands, no idea when they will arrive but hopefully soon.
In between study (BSc business manager) in the Uni and job not having so much time but trying to do small bits.
Wenn coming before painting and finished railings will put some more pics here.
Have a great time until then.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 02:31:52 pm »

Only 10 allowed so here some more pics.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »

I did not upload the pics how I made the building but thought it may be good for others to know how I did this.
As already told that this building I made alterations / changes for the better as want to have more strength into the building itself and mainly due to the fact I have different propulsion, made a helideck and other structural changes as you will see on the pics following.
Could be that I uploaded some pics 2x for that I'm sorry but want to make it complete.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 02:58:09 pm »

Here you will see the measurements to be taken so the Schottels will fit under the aft deck as only have there 24 mm.
But according measurements taken and info given by Cornwall it should be enough.
Want the propulsion working as real Schottels means they should turn 360 degrees by belt so at the end there will be 2 belts running from each Schottel, 1 for propulsion and the other for steering.
Now there comes the trick, they also should be individually from each other and that will be a puzzle but that is for later when I come to it.
Also the mast I made but later on I changed that again to what it has now.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 03:06:45 pm »

And some more.
Nearly all done with the additional strength into the building in bottom and top.
Also the Helideck started and built up, but changed later the uptaken to this helideck as was not happy with it, now it looks better.
During a building like this you go off from the lay-out given as having sailed on this kind of vessels for a long time and still comes on board to perform Inspections or Audits I put also my own experience in this building.
It is therefore that at the end the Boka Alpine is NOT original anymore but functionally in a much better shape.
Well this is my opinion, you can agree or disagree with it.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 03:14:22 pm »

spme more here from the building.
Made the mast but have to think about it as not happy with it.
Also the bow itself and the bow trust surroundings made from massive wood to have enough strength in it as saw on other finished buildings from this type that this could be an issue later on.
But all nearly done and the hull get more shape also when the kim on both sides are closed.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 03:30:53 pm »

Sanding is something that should be done for others but have to do that myself.
On previous pics you could see that I made the wooden protection of the bow and bow trust from a massive piece as shown.
Now bow trust is complete secured and in place for the following years to come.
Still if needed I can renew the el motor so that will not be an obstacle.
Also you saw the kim closed up and already 3 x used filler / sanding etc.
I am waiting presently for better weather as with rain outside you cannot do much to the building and don't want to upset the misses to have this done inside, she will kill me.
But you can notice that bow trust in place, secored, locked and waiting for the cables to connect.
Also the outside hull prepared for the water flow of the bow trust both sides but need small adjustments in the shape though.
Anchor pockets protection plates both sides done.
Mast altered to the final stage and ready for the lights to put in it.
Also the railing between funnels done and the platform aft mast is ready.
Now outside hull preserve with epoxy but again, can only done when weather improves.
This is the status until now, wish you all having a good time and until we meet again here with more updates.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 09:24:31 pm »

Great build thread build Peter......thanks for sharing....

Could we take it you were a Deck Officer?.................  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 09:41:50 pm »

Great build  :-))   I saw a great Tee shirt the other day it said - "engineers don't argue - they explain"

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 09:56:30 pm »

I was a deck officer afterwards when I was "done" in the engine room and want some fresh air, back to school and made it till master (unlimited) but enjoyed time on the "small" ones like aht's. {-)

Mark, very true, done that nearly all my life and sure there are some engineers and mates still at sea I have mentored them. :police:

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:20 pm »

Hello all, just a quick note here.
Not done that much as several reasons, going to the UNI and in the same time night shift job is not easy and don't give you a lot of time in between home works for the UNI.
Anyway, waiting already now several weeks to get my parts I need to built further to it.
I want also some "furniture" inside the bridge to make it nearly "perfect" as working on those is one thing, changing during my time was impossible as "NO MONEY"!
Now building it guess the money question is gone as I pay for it!!
As I noticed too this building doesn't have a fore mast so I create one to have the forward navigation light in and then on the Aft mast the higher navigation light.
Small things but needs to have to be real ship, well this is mine personal opinion, don't need agree to that.
Further need to make platforms inside the upper part just under the main deck to have the towing winch mounted. It will be a working version, coming from USA with built in el motor strong enough to pull in.
Then on the back side deck near the towing roll will mount under the deck towing pins as the photo shows, also this has built in motors.
Most likely I do have to alter the stern inside to accommodate this set towing pins.
On the side from it are coming the Schottels with belts to the front of the ship just near frame 3/4 on the pic showed.
Those for each Schottel are el motors vertical positioned so 2 on each side and hopefully I have space enough to pass the towing pins unit though but again will see when it comes here.
Alternative is to raise the aft part of the deck (if needed) in the position of the towing pins.
Cannot do anything outside so will paint the built next year and therefore in the mean time making all preparations like floors in the accommodation, consoles on the bridge, outside on the Monkey Island further preparations for the radars and fire equipment.
Lucky me I don't have "normal" shaft propulsion neither rudders so therefore I have (I guess) enough space to have all inside under decks from my built.
Well, have a look at the pics I do send here so you can make your own image how it will be.
Lighting is also a big issue as illumination helideck, inside bridge, accommodation, deck and Monkey Island not to forget the connections from - to batteries, users etc.
Wishing all a great Sunday and revert when done some more works to it.
as always, greetings
Peter

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 11:03:08 pm »

Have some more pics here, enjoy.
Guess no need more explanation then pics shows already.
All 3D is and will be done in scale 1:75.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 02:13:30 pm »

Hi Peter there is some nice bits and pieces in the catalogue that you have but they seem quite expensive.  What company supplies these parts or do they have a website?  I haven't seen them before.

seamanpeter

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 04:26:44 pm »

Mark, well they maybe a bit expensive but at the other hand, if you go for details, you have to pay for it.
I will give some web sites here below.

https://info398977.wixsite.com/shop/modelle-und-zubehoer?fbclid=IwAR0Bowj2wOQ15Md9E0IF4NfNfOdPpc2-W0mNQZ00mKxKiFU36x38uH2JT5U

https://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/D-Section-Fendering.html

https://www.alwayshobbies.com/model-boats/model-boat-fittings?gclid=CjwKCAjwxt_tBRAXEiwAENY8hdY4fEyrARepGUMUJtjP-7VZTJxK-VLNxknTYdFy5F6db2XsZKLf_xoCTtEQAvD_BwE#q=pageitems.160

https://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Billing_Exhausts___Stove_Pipes.html

https://www.bauer-modelle.com/epages/Bauer_Uwe46269592.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Bauer_Uwe46269592/Categories/%22Schiffsantriebe%2C%20Spezial-%20und%20Wellenantriebe%22/%22Schottel%2C%20Z-Antriebe%22

Those are 3D and to be ordered in advance with payment up front.
All in any scale you want to have them, for sure not the fenders as they are in mm size as well the exhaust pipes.
Also E-bay does have a lot and prices are not to bad. [size=78%]https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/RC-Boat-Watercraft-Body-Parts-Interior-Accessories/34058/bn_16570107?_pgn=2[/size]

Another 3D firm is [/size][size=78%]https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rc_tugs_workboats?page%5Bnumber%5D=3&page%5Blimit%5D=48&page%5Border%5D=asc[/size]

I have most of the equipment what you see in my journal from several firms and if I was you compare prices between them and also quality!

If you need more, just let me know.
best regards and succes,
Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.