Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Remora.  (Read 2598 times)

nwalker

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2020, 04:00:09 pm »

Here are a couple of photos of my Remora

The motor is mounted directly onto the propshaft tube with the brass flange, there is a water cooling jacket that I fitted in case it was needed but the moter does not get hot atall  so I never connected it up.
Nice! what is the name of such propshaft?

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:09 pm »

Self isolating sees a return to working on the Remora again as I also try to make something usable out of the butchered remains of a Rapier that I was given a long time ago.

I should have put the Rapier wreck straight into the bin as it has taken precious working time away from the Remora, but I have got the hull straightened now and hope I can spread my work time between them both by working on one whilst the other has adhesive or paint drying etc.

I got an inferiority complex about having the smallest motor out of all those mentioned on this thread so far, so I sent away for a couple of the bigger Turnigy 3648-1450 motors as I needed a bigger motor to shove the wreck (Rapier) along,  and thought I would keep one in reserve - just in case the Turnigy D3536/6 1250KV motor fails to deliver the pleasant performance in the Remora that I am hoping for.

Luckily they both fit the same water-cooled mount so swapping them over would be quick and easy (and I am using a 90amp speedo so it should work with either).

Tonight I fitted a shaft support under the 4mm stainless prop shaft and faired it in with Bondaglass filler and then wondered if I should have fitted a 5mm shaft to cope with the power (?), but I will complete the build and test it with the 4mm shaft and hope the slimmer size and lighter weight shaft will work well and justify its selection.

If not the hammer will come out and all the lovey faring-in will be wasted as the 4mm shaft is knocked out and an M5 shaft is inserted in its place !

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2020, 02:06:15 pm »

I have not contributed to this Remora thread for some time - but I have finished the build and the boat looks good.

What is left to do is some minor finishing - and I like to do this after the painting is finished - and that is where this project has stopped!

I decided to go for another "sticky" looking colour scheme as a "nod" to my original late '60's -70's Remora and I started to spray the deck and lower hull using an aerosol Humbrol French Blue rattle can, with an orange cab and hull sides with spray paint from the same source (Humbrol rattle cans).

Unfortunately, my local model shop run out of Humbrol French Blue aerosols at the start of the "lock-down" so the model was put away until new supplies arrived, but now I am told that Humbrol no longer make this French Blue aerosol !

This is a bit of a blow as I am almost finished and only wanted another can to get the depth of colour in some areas that did not cover quite so well, so I am hoping to find a shop that may still have some Humbrol French Blue aerosol cans left in stock........or that Humbrol start making it again!

If anyone happens to know of a current source of Humbrol French Blue aerosol cans - please let me know as I would like to get this model on the water.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2020, 04:30:58 pm »

Hi there

A quick google found this [size=78%]https://www.modelrealm.co.uk/shop/humbrol-aerosol-varnish-p1.html#SID=1081[/size]

Hope it helps your Remora to get finished
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »

Thanks Leaky Bottom!

That is just what I need.

I have been trying to order two cans of Humbrol French Blue spray cans but the site does not work - a message says that the site is insecure and as I try to add the paint to my basket the screen just goes blank with a message - try again later..............so I will !

As long as they are still in business I should be able to order from them - maybe I could also try calling them tomorrow during "shop hours" to see if anyone is at home.

Bob.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:06 pm »

Hi bob

I just tried to put humbrol paint into "my basket" and I get the same as you did but if you put any other item into your basket the site works and you can place the order.

Might be worth a phone call as you say.
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2020, 04:23:45 pm »

The new Humbrol spray paint range no longer includes French Blue, and so I may just have a re-think and start again with a new colour scheme.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 07:48:31 pm »

I thought it was time to take another look at the Remora that I have been building from the free magazine plan as I have not looked at it since I run out of Humbrol French Blue paint during the early days of the first lock-down.

The hull and the super-structure are finished (but not fully painted !) so I just wanted to add a shelf to hold the ESC and another to hold the rx, drill the holes for all the wires to connect the motor to the ESC (in different compartments) and decide where to locate the LiPos and how to hold them securely.

I made a small shelf with supports to hold the ESC against the rear of the bulkhead that divides the "engine bay" from the next compartment with a pair of supports to stand on top of the keel doublers.

The ESC shelf was made slightly too wide, so I passed it though the bandsaw to cut off a narrow strip to make a shelf (with supports) to mount the receiver onto and fixed it onto the bottom skin on the opposite side to where the steering linkage will run.

The three wires complete with 6mm gold connectors were passed from the mounted 90A SeaKing ESC through to the engine bay where (fortunately) the guesstimate worked out OK and the wires were just long enough to connect them to the Turnigy D3536/6 1250 brushless motor wires.

This motor is what I usually refer to as the "aero-type" because the greater part of the rotating motor body is mounted in-front of the motor mount so it is mounted further forward in the hull than would be the case with any of the other brushless motors that I am using.

This is the one installation that defeats my "universal" inter-changability of any motor in any hull system, but if it does not perform well enough I will cut the mount out of the hull and re-position it to accept any of my other  motors.  The ESC can be used in any hull as it has been fitted with the 6mm gold connectors that I use to connect every motor and ESC together.

I found an old brass rudder assembly that is probably of the same vintage as the Remora plan.  The rudder is quite large and should suite this "steering design" quite well, so I cut the threaded brass mounting boss down a little and fitted a 5mm brass collar onto the shaft to prevent it dropping out if I should ever suffer a loose steering horn clamp when he boat is out on the lake.

I think I can mount two LiPo cells length-wise under the ESC shelf but I have not decided how to hold them securely yet, and I need to modify and finish the steering servo mounts so they will be my next jobs to do on the Remora..........and keep looking for some paint!

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2020, 07:50:42 pm »

Pic Section....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up