Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Remora.  (Read 16924 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Vic Smeed Remora.
« on: October 11, 2019, 10:57:05 pm »

I am about to start building my second Remora model - I built the first one from the free plans in the December 1964 Model Maker magazine.

The first one was built and taken to Exmouth with me when I got married and then followed us to Sticklepath (Barnstaple) a few years later.

Unfortunately when a job change moved me and my young family up north a few years later, lots of thing had to be given away due to a lack of space (and no doubt partly due to my modelling hobby) and my prized Remora boat complete with an OS 21 marine engine were given away (along with my Suzie Q!) to a young family opposite!

The boat was painted by myself in an unlikely orange and yellow colour scheme (!), and of all the things I had to part with or leave behind, this particular model boat was the one thing I regretted and missed the most!

The chances of it still surviving in the North Devon area are so slim as to be non existent, so my winter project for this year will be to start making some paper templates and start building a long overdue replacement.

Colours used in the 1960's and 70's may not be to todays taste, so the new Remora may not be painted in the same yellow and orange colours that I thought look so "cool" at the time - if you can see a copy of the Model Maker cover concerned - substitute the white for yellow and the red for orange and you will be getting close to my old "pride and joy".

Does anyone know if a glass fibre hull is available for the Remora by any chance?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vic Smeed Remora.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 12:25:57 am »

Here's a link to some interesting articles - hope it helps you in some way  :-)
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=83121&p=15

Regards,
Ray.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 10:10:27 am »

Thanks Ray,

The link to the free full size download plans and the original article pages from Model Maker 1964 will be valuable for some and is very interesting to see.

Fortunately I still have the original magazine complete with the original free plans that I built my first Remora from back in the 1960's, and I have been able to keep them both in good condition so I can use them again.

Having said that, if anyone made a fibre glass hull I would love to buy one as it would save a lot of time - even though building from plan with traditional materials is very satisfying I would like to get a Remora back on the water a little quicker if possible!

Unlike my first Remora that was powered by an OS marine engine, this one will be electric powered.

I would like to find a good combination of motor and prop with LiPo power packs to give a good crisp performance - maybe not as wild as my Blackjack 29 or Alpha 1000 - but even that may be a possibility as I remember the hull (with suitable spray rails added) was more than capable of handling the ic power and could probably cope with a fast electric installation very well!

......not bad for a boat that was originally designed as a "steering model" !

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 02:26:13 pm »

I've got a remora
Mine is fitted with 3528- 1250kv motor turning a standard 40mm plastic prop on 3s lipos 3000ma
The esc is a 40amp aircraft one.
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 06:11:31 pm »

I've got a remora
Mine is fitted with 3528- 1250kv motor turning a standard 40mm plastic prop on 3s lipos 3000ma
The esc is a 40amp aircraft one.

Thanks for the info    :-))   

My guess is with a 3 cell LiPo it will be quite brisk !

gordon harrison

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 10:39:19 pm »

i built a remora 12 months ago,out of light ply rather than balsa with a glass fibre outer skin on the hull bottom,
fitted 3 extra rails on either side of the hull centre line,
Would liked to have gone I/C but there not allowed on our lake [ silly ]
tried a couple of brushless motors 1000 kv 300 watts 40 mm sports pitch props ,
Boat was quite nippy but not fast enough,bought a 1700 kv 650 watt water cooled brushless from Dave Marles of Prestwich
models,60 amp speed controller and a 35x prop,very fast ,
still trying different lipos,
I used to have a MFA Spearfish with a KB 40 went very well indeed but I think the Remora is just as fast and turns better without slowing down
, hope this helps ,Vic Smeed designed  some great models the Remora being one of the best,

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 09:00:35 am »

Thanks Ray,

The link to the free full size download plans and the original article pages from Model Maker 1964 will be valuable for some and is very interesting to see.

Fortunately I still have the original magazine complete with the original free plans that I built my first Remora from back in the 1960's, and I have been able to keep them both in good condition so I can use them again.........................

Was the original article only the two pages on the link? It seems to finish in an odd place.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 09:26:09 am »

The original Remora design shows an over-sized rudder that was designed to slow the boat slightly as it entered a turn (it was designed as a "steering model") - but I am not sure if "steering events" are seen these days?

With a more conventional size and shape rudder it probably steers without slowing when entering a turn?  I am going to fit a standard commercial rudder to mine to start with and see how it goes.

I was tempted to strengthen the transom and fit a flexi-shaft with an out-drive and off-set rudder etc, but I decided to keep it more or less "original" as I wanted to replicate my first model, but with electric power this time as we are not allowed to use i.c. engines on our club lake either.

I have cut my bulkheads from some scrap 1/8" ply and have used pairs of 1/8 x 1/4 obechie laminated together to make the 1/4 x 1/4 stringers and to date I have only just fitted the two bottom skins.

Once I have trimmed these back I will sort-out a motor and mount while everything is still visible from the side so I can align them with the prop shaft. I had a long stainless steel prop shaft (Perkins type) laying around in my shed for years,  so I cut it down to size.  I have pressed the bearing back into the cut end of the tube and now I need to shorten and re-thread the inners shaft.

As the scrap ply that I have used is "not the best" I may well make a second Remora later using better quality wood  - this won't take anything like so long to build as I will have all of my "cereal box" templates already and won't have to make them again - but I want to complete and run this one first to see how it performs as I may like to make some small mods on the second model.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 04:59:39 pm »

Was the original article only the two pages on the link? It seems to finish in an odd place.

Yes, it only had a two page write-up, and it does end in an odd way with a description of the suggested rudder blade trim.

I have a well used (maybe just a literal scruffy!) example of the original magazine to refer to and it does end with "......by taking a strip off both fore and after edges",  so that is the end of the magazine article.

I don't have a copy of the next issue (January 1965)  but they usually say "to be continued" if there is any more to follow, but it does not say this so I think the article ends as shown on page 559 .

There is enough information to build the model OK (as I am finding out for the second time around) - but if anyone does have a copy of the January 1965 Model Maker & Model Boats magazine, it would be interesting to find out if there is a "follow-up" article inside about the Remora.

Bob.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 07:13:03 pm »

No nothing in the January issue.. <:(

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:18 pm »

No nothing in the January issue.. <:(

Thanks for letting us know!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 02:08:11 pm »

Progress to date on my Remora build includes fitting the 1/16 ply bottom skins and carving and shaping the balsa block lower bows.  I have also made a stand to hold the hull securely as I make further progress with the next part of the build.

I have bought a water-cooled motor mount online and a Turnigy D2836/8  1100KV motor to fit it, and although the motor looks a little small and "puny" compared to the size of the boat, I remembered when I was asked to "drive" a visitors large 1/24 scale Perkasa at the clubs lake earlier this year as it was "a little too fast" for owner to run at speed comfortably!

The Perkasa was heavy to lift, but was very fast and lovely to steer when it was 'flat-out" and when I eventually had to bring it back to shore (due to the LiPo cells running low) I was surprised to see a pair of these same 1100KV motors inside and that they were so capable of shoving this large hull along at such a rapid pace.

Having said that, this motor still looks a little "small" in my Remora hull and as the same mount will also take a slightly bigger motor I am going to fit a Turnigy D3536/6 1250KV motor - mainly because it "looks right".

I don't know much (nothing really) about how to understand the power outputs of these out-runner motors ( I am a fast two stroke man really) so I would appreciate any helpful input regarding my choice of motor and a suggested prop size that would suite it.........and if anyone can explain (in nice simple terms)  what the various numbers mean that these motors are identified by, it would be nice to learn and gain a little knowledge about these "new fangled" brushless motors!

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 03:46:32 pm »

Here are a couple of photos of my Remora

The motor is mounted directly onto the propshaft tube with the brass flange, there is a water cooling jacket that I fitted in case it was needed but the moter does not get hot atall  so I never connected it up.
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

gordon harrison

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 04:07:41 pm »

GLAD THE BUILD IS COMING ON.
REFERANCE YOUR COMENT ON BRUSHLESS POWER OUT PUT.
AS A EX MULTI RACER FROM THE MID 70S I ONLY WENT ELECTRIC 18 MONTHS AGO
750 WATTS = 1 H0RSE POWER ,ABOUT THE SAME AS A 40 SIZE GLOW ENGINE
NOT A ROSSI OR OPS ETC .THE WAY I WORK THINGS THE REMORA WAS DESGINED AS A FAST STEARING BOAT
THE ENGINE SHOWN IN THE ARTICLE IS A OS 20 PUTTING OUT 1/4 HORSE POWER AT APPROX 11000 RPM
ON A 35 M/M PROP. COMPARE THAT TO A BRUSHLESS MOTOR 375 WATTS ON 11.1 VOLT LIPO 1000 KV PRODUCING MORE TORQUE
THAN A OS 20, MY CHOICE OF PROP STARTS WITH ONE THE SAME DIAMETER AS THE MOTOR CASING A 35 X OR EVEN A 40X.
BUT THE MORE CURRANT THE MOTOR DRAWS THE SHORTER THE RUN TIME.
THIS SET UP WILL GIVE  APPROX 1/2 HORSE POWER AT 11100 RPM ,FAR MORE THAT THE OS 20.
I HOPE THE TRUE EXPERTS ON HERE WILL CORRECT ME.
WORKS FOR ME ,IF IT BLOWS FUSES 10 AMP THE PROP MIGHT BE TO BIG OR TO COURSE A PITCH.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »

Hi Gordon,

It sounds like we will have at least two Remora's running in Lancashire in 2020 - I wonder how many more there are lurking about in the county?

Perhaps it would be possible to get them all together one day as a tribute to Vic Smeed - and maybe some of his other designs from a similar time period such as Suzi Q from the April 1965 Model Maker plan (my next project!).

I am in Rossendale and sail on the Southport lake - where abouts in Lancashire are you?

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2019, 05:03:15 pm »

Here are a couple of photos of my Remora

The motor is mounted directly onto the propshaft tube with the brass flange, there is a water cooling jacket that I fitted in case it was needed but the moter does not get hot atall  so I never connected it up.

Hi Leaky!

Nice to see another Remora (the more the better!).

I like your "direct drive" motor/shaft set-up, it looks really neat and tidy with no need for a separate motor mount.

Mine will be a bit more "traditional" with a Huco style coupling (at least to start with) and an adjustable type water cooled mounting of the type seen on the Bay for "not a lot" of cash!

Of the three Remoras mentioned so far, it seems like mine will have the lowest power motor, but I will see how it runs and be prepared to upgrade the motor if it needs a boost at a later date!

Bob.

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 10:31:52 pm »

Hi zooma
                   You were wondering if there was anyone else running a Remora, I run an ic powered version with a 46 glow engine.
                    I also  used to run one back in the 60s with a Merco 35, also had a Pirana would like to build another but have a Sir Lancelot
                    on the bench at moment :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2019, 12:41:23 am »

Hi zooma
                   You were wondering if there was anyone else running a Remora, I run an ic powered version with a 46 glow engine.
                    I also  used to run one back in the 60s with a Merco 35, also had a Pirana would like to build another but have a Sir Lancelot
                    on the bench at moment :-))

Hello Madboats,

North Yorkshire is not so far from Rossendale (and although it is in Lancashire) we could soon get enough potential Remora owners to form a Remora Revival owners club  %%

The Piranha was another classic design that we used to run in the 60's at my home club in Bath on the River Avon and the Avon and Kennett Canal.  I also entered a Swordsman in one of the first off-shore competitions (round one was in Torquay) with a twin plug Merco 61 for power and my radio was made by Launch-Link (made by Radio Link.

On that day and at that event ED launched their "Krack-a Long" design powered by their 5cc Viking marine diesel engine - and it did quite well!

Stay in touch and let me know when you get started on your new Remora!

Bob.

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2019, 07:56:56 pm »

Hi Bob.

Your latest post threw up some names from the past firstly Launch Link one of the first multi radio  produced for us boaters by Flight Link Control
          I had a lot of bother with mine the amps for the servos were built into the rx this made the servos a lot smaller than other makes which was a plus.
          I used to put the radio into a lunch box so I could swap it from boat to boat this ment having to bend the servos leads which damaged the leads they were

not like the type of wire we used today so it was always being sent of for repair,gave up in the end and got a Sregbrock sport.with push pull servos.
          The Krack a Long was the other name from the past I don't know if you remember but you could get this in to versions hull only or a full kit.
         I got the hull only but built the kit for a fellow member.I also run a swordsman built from a plan powered by a Just Engines 46 glow engine.
        We used to to regattas back in the 60s before multi racing came along the format was steering event in the morning and a speed event in the afternoon
         dose that ring any with you?Keep the faith  :-))

Regards madboats

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2019, 08:24:36 pm »

Quick note - Launch Link was made by Flight Link. Quirky stuff but the stick units and servos, with Swiss motors and all-metal gears, were a revelation. It's a shame they were introduced at more or less the same time as the Futaba Digimax 4, which swept away most of the competition. RCS, Sprengbrook, Skyleader, Waltron, Remcon, Horizon - all killed off by Japanese products. These days it's the ROC killing off Japanese stuff; what goes around comes around, eh?
DaveM

gordon harrison

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2019, 11:09:25 pm »

Hi Bob
I live near Wigan and sail on the Three Sisters Lake only a mile or so from home.
me and the wife visit Southport almost every week,I have sailed the Remora
on Southport lake nice water bit windy at times.Not a member yet but might
look into joining next year.Three Sisters lake is approx 4 acres very nice but we share it with fishermen
ducks and swans,
Can meet up at Southport in the new year when the weather picks up.

Cheers Gordon.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2019, 11:41:46 pm »

Hi Madboats,

I think we we a lot more "enthusiastic" back then!

I remember that we had two Bonito chase boats for the first off-shore race in Torquay (each powered by twin Merco outboards) with two competitors in the back of each boat, (one on each side) and as each boat broke the timing beam on the breakwater we headed out to sea towards the first marker buoy. When we returned and broke the timing beam again our times were recorded (if we got the boats back into the harbour!).

We were in a 6 ft swell and the fishing fleet had come back in (followed by the coastguard boat) before we started, but an hour later we headed on out to sea - often being "walled-in" and looking up at a wall of water above our heads, so every time we came up to the top of the swell and could briefly see our model boats, I  gave the rudder a nudge so the Swordsman was heading in the right direction and then I lost sight of it until we came up to the top of the swell again!  A very strange and rather frightening experience as we stood up as high on our toes as we dared to see as much model boat as possible before it went out of sight again!

It looked like we were making some progress but also being pushed back a lot as the Swordsman crested each wave.  It was really annoying to see the new "prototype" Krack-a-Long's "anhedral" top deck push the boat under-water into the crest of the wave and then see it burst out the other side without being pushed back anything like as much as the rest of us!

I was just pleased to complete the course and to get my Swordsman back in one piece and decided there and then that I would not be going out again for round two!  If I remember correctly there never was a round two and some competitors (more sensible than myself) never went out at all!

Needless to say, we all bought an ED Krack-a-Long kit as soon as they came on sale, as we could not compete with them in heavy seas - brilliant design idea!

However, we never faced seas like that again.  I think the organisers must seen and realised the potential dangers of sending "land-lubbers" like ourselves out in such heavy seas whilst stood in the back of fast open Bonito chase boats, and so the Krack-a-Longs never got too much use by us after that as they weren't half so impressive on calm waters or back home on the club waters!

The 5cc diesel Viking engines did not prove to be as easy to run as our glow engines either, so the hulls (and engines!) were swapped for "something more suitable" over a course of just a few weeks ownership from new!

There must have been quite a few "low mileage" Krack-a Longs for sale at the time!

Stay in touch!

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2019, 11:51:26 pm »

I remember saving-up and buying my Launch-Link radio - the first thing I bought with my meagre apprenticeship wages.

That black metal box was held with great pride - but it was eventually swapped-in for a new OS Cougar radio - and then I bought my first Futaba set and used that and a McGregor proportional set (a strange looking thing with a third stick) on my different model boats for many years!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 07:19:09 pm »

Hi Bob
I live near Wigan and sail on the Three Sisters Lake only a mile or so from home.
me and the wife visit Southport almost every week,I have sailed the Remora
on Southport lake nice water bit windy at times.Not a member yet but might
look into joining next year.Three Sisters lake is approx 4 acres very nice but we share it with fishermen
ducks and swans,
Can meet up at Southport in the new year when the weather picks up.

Cheers Gordon.

Hi Gordon, 

Meeting up with you at the Southport Club in the New Year sounds like a good idea.

I will try to get my Remora finished to give its "maiden voyage" at this same time.

Sadly ic engines are banned on the club lake, but the modern electrics can be far too fast for the size of our lake in any case, so I guess they will not be making a return any time soon.

As a mater of courtesy I only run my fast boats when the other club members are not on the lake - and this usually means not running on club days as there are some nice scale models that deserve to be able to sail without being harassed by my white water.

Not a problem, the club members with scale boats are only on the lake together on Sundays and Thursdays - and mostly in the mornings only - so that leaves plenty of time on the water on every non club days and most evenings too!

I also like to run at a more sedate pace on Club Days with my TID tug and other scale models too! :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2020, 10:43:54 am »

Well Christmas and New year celebrations have now been and gone and I have returned to my workshop (shed) to do some more work on my Remora build....I am not a high speed builder unfortunately!

The hull build is finished and yesterday I completed the cabin build .  The cabin roof has two laminations of 1/2" balsa sheet, so there was plenty of sanding to be done to end up with the unique "dome shaped" roof, and I can only imagine that everyone will have a slightly different interpretation of the finished shape - even though we are all working to the same plans! 

The internal flat front screen (with a full width cut-out window) is presumably installed as a strengthening brace for the front of the cabin sides, and was certainly helpful as a former when assembling the steeply angled cabin sides

I only have the rear hatch to make to complete the structural build so I can then move on to the important details such as locating a water pick-up scoop and sourcing a suitable size prop while I start the sealing and sanding of the woodwork.

When I used to race ic boats back in the '60's I remember fitting the water cooling pick-up off to one side to help counter the natural torque induced twisting action of the motor and help the model run straight.  I remember that if you guessed correctly, it was possible to run the model with the rudder dead centre in a straight line - even with high power ic engines.

The pictures of the metal plate assembly that was used to hold the brass shaft support, pick-up pipe and rudder on the prototype show the pick-up pipe off-set to the left (when viewed from the stern) so I think I will make up a scoop from a piece of brass tube and use a similar off-set and see how it goes with electric power this time!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 23 queries.