Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Lockdown Build Completed - GPL Cat  (Read 1470 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Another Lockdown Build Completed - GPL Cat
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:30:29 am »

Have just put the finishing touches on another one I recently acquired, a very rare hull that I bought from Graham (Mr GPL) in summer last year. I'd visited his place on the East coast between lockdowns to go and collect his last four GPL 1000 hulls from him for members of my club (and another for myself  %) ), but couldn't resist picking up this thing, which until that point I had no idea existed. Somehow I managed to cram all of that lot into my old MX5

It's 900mm long, 390mm across and I've powered it with an old CMB 45HR, with CMB pipe. Wanted to keep things real simple and use standard servos, so given the space limitations from this I've only gone two channel , with the mixture on an OS unit mounted in front of the engine. The layup on it is real light, as are all of Graham's hulls - his work is excellent, so it tips the scales at only 3 kilos without fuel. I had a few ideas for tank placement, to keep the CoG in roughly the same place for the whole run I've gone with a pair of 8oz tanks, one in each sponson.

For those who don't know what a GPL 1000 is, and why they're so popular in our club (between us we have around a dozen of them - I own three) see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeT6YPobBYs&t=3s

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Another Lockdown Build Completed - GPL Cat
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 09:56:54 pm »

Andy that is really is a lovely boat - I'd love an IC power boat but where I live there is literally no where anymore where they can be run.  Its such a shame as nothing looks or sounds better than an IC power boat.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:43:08 pm »

Took the boat out for the first time today, runs great. Needs further setting up, but very happy with it thus far. Video coming soon.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:12:24 pm »

Another nice one Andy  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 08:35:52 pm »

Here is my lockdown build, rather less exciting and exotic but reminds me of the Greek sunshine we have been missing.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 08:39:50 pm »

Another nice one Andy  :-))

Yep I would love one of those  :-))

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 11:56:01 pm »

Will have to ask my Psychiatrist if she thinks Blue is a soothing calmative colour? ........

Does es the Greek fishing boat have a generic name Colin?....similar to the Egyptian Nile 'Felucca' lake/river sailing craft...or the Turkish 'Caique" versions?

Derek %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 12:48:29 am »

When I did my architectural training we had a project to get other students opinions about colours.
Blue came out the calmest, although I don't think it was such a bright hue.   Green was next.  :embarrassed:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:31:45 am »

Same here BrianB6 ..... my training dictated that light or 'Powder Blue' was that soft calm shade.......however the colour palate here doesn't have such a shade

Derek [calmly in light green]
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 10:43:57 am »

So Colin says.......

Does es the Greek fishing boat have a generic name Colin?....similar to the Egyptian Nile 'Felucca' lake/river sailing craft...or the Turkish 'Caique" versions?

Derek, it is a Chaniotiki Gaita. This specific design originated in Chania in Crete but similar boats can be seen all over the Aegean Sea. It is a kit from Navarino Models in Greece.Colin
---------------------

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 10:59:25 am »

An interesting display Model Colin...the WEB image suggest plank on frame & a one piece fitted deck

Did you just use Licence & omit the deck [which I prefer]  :-)) ...[double the size to say ~~600 mm LOA] would be very nice

Some 50 years ago we had a [romantic  :kiss:  ] dinner in a Seafood Restaurant overlooking Botany Bay just near Sydney airport 

In the centre table was a much larger version [maybe 2000mm LOA] of a Chaniotiki Gaita complete with sail raised........you could only guess correctly that it was  Greek owned establishment

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 11:20:31 am »

Derek,

I won't post construction photos as I am doing a review for the magazine although I bought the kit myself. However you can see a You Tube build here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jigJHjdgngc

As you can see, the hull is double planked over a keel and frames and the decks single planked over sub decks. If you Google Chaniotiki Gaita it brings up lots of images of different builds of this model, some are smart like mine while others are intentionally 'distressed'. You can choose which you prefer. The hull goes together very well but there are some anomalies in how you rig it and the sail plan. The boats usually carried a trapezoidal scquare sail but the kit plan shows a lateen one which gave me a bit of headscratching.

It was a nice little fun project though.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.