Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Suzie Q  (Read 4045 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Vic Smeed Suzie Q
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 12:41:04 pm »

Hi Andy,

You should have put those pictures on the Javelin thread - they would have been very interesting to see there........but I look forward to seeing your Gaint Suzie Q pictures ....when you build it........ O0   %)   {-)

Stay safe,

Bob.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2021, 12:47:32 pm »

I thought it had evolved to be too different to the Javelin to put it on there. Ah well.
Anyway, I tested Rorqual which uses the motor setup that Suzie Q will be getting, wow, plenty power.
Short  bath test video here
https://youtu.be/ffqMXdENFPc

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2021, 01:37:00 pm »

Good job its a nice bright colour Andy - that little boat is going to fly!   :-)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 07:38:16 pm »

You could ask a moderator to shift the pics over?
I am looking forward to trying the Suzie Q with the brushless setup, its not actually far off being ready, apart from a fair bit of painting, a windscreen etc.
I think the Suzie Q has the best chance of absorbing the power these little motors kick out.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2021, 08:27:32 pm »

You could ask a moderator to shift the pics over?

If you would like the pictures of your scaled-up Javelin to be added (or moved) to the Javelin thread I think you will need to ask for the moderators help yourself Andy as it is your comment.

I think it would look good on the Javelin thread - after all, it is a scaled-up Javelin and some of your mock-up pictures show the Javelin in its LesRo kit box-art colours - and I for one have never seen that before.

.......let me know when you start to scale-up a Suzie Q - that could be very interesting!  ;)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2021, 11:58:19 pm »

I will message Martin, unless a moderator is following this thread.
I dont know if I could manage another man size build, I folded both wrists right back along my arms in a bike accident several years ago, thats why I have stuck to smaller craft since then. I have a fibreglass mould I made of my Viper hull, it needs some small areas of the gelcoat wet and dry sanded, I did 95% of it but gave up. My hands were cramping up as soon as I held the sanding block.
I would love to do a big Suzie, I enjoyed building my four biggies.
If anyone fancies a go at doing one, I would be glad to give advice, I would even scale up the drawings to suit.
It is no more difficult than building a model, just bigger bits of wood. I loved it, and you can zoom about in it when you are finished.
And it was a lot cheaper than some models shown on here.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2021, 12:13:38 am »

Forgot to mention Suzie Q got another coat of white on the deck and cabin.  Starting to shine a bit rather than just soaking in.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:08 pm »

I got another coat of white on Suzie Q, hopefully this will do as its final coat.
I hope to be able to start painting the hull with signal red tomorrow night if the white has dried, might have to wait 2 days to be sure.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2021, 10:43:58 pm »

A nice glossy top sides and a bright and shiny bottom will make for a good looking vessel and the difference visually will be quite great I'm sure.
I look forward to seeing it Andy.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2021, 10:52:07 am »

I ordered my coupling for the Suzie Q from CNC planet on ebay at about 5.30pm last night, with delivery stated as being on or before 10th April.
 It arrived with the morning post today, before 10am, amazingly quick delivery, can't really get any better than that, and it was only 3.95 with free postage when other ones I looked at were all similar price but with 1.99 postage. Well happy with that.
 The new coupling means I have now have 2 complete sets of motor, coupling and speed control. No swapping the couplings about, I can have 2 of my 3 boats that I have set up to use them working at the same time.
 Rorqual is complete and Suzie Q will be next one to be finished. I will hopefully make a start on painting the hull signal red today. Edita motor yacht has still got a fair bit to do on it yet.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2021, 09:16:54 pm »

I flipped my Rorqual upside down earlier, kind of spun the hull round the motor, at least it looked like that to me. These motors have much more power than I expected. I will try the Rorqual setup again on 7.4v pack and see how that goes, if my radio still works after it dries out.
It looks way too much for Suzie Q, even though I think the hull is significantly, well an inch or 2 bigger, but still really light. I will give Suzie Q a 7.4v test. I might be able to limit it on my transmitter to get half the speed, but over the whole throttle range. I always liked fast, but the Rorqual was a bit extreme, at 1/4 throttle it was faster than my Atlantic Yacht which has twin 380 brushed motors and 7.4 pack.
It was the next couple of clicks of throttle that spun it, definately needs a bigger hull. Will get right on that soon! Lol, another project coming on. Love it.
Suzie Q can get a brushed 380 and 7.4 lipo if it turns out to be too wild with the brushless.
Not a problem. Its all fun, apart from wading into a freezing river and stubbing your toe, not the worst though. Lol

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2021, 10:36:39 pm »

Could you try a different prop too, one that is less course and will help reduce torque roll a bit?

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2021, 10:52:28 pm »

Hi Will, these cheap radio active shafts ate 1.7mm diameter, thread is supposed to be m2, not seen many props for that size. These ones look fairly moderate pitch and only 30 mm.just too many revs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.