Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Suzie Q  (Read 3996 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Vic Smeed Suzie Q
« on: October 12, 2019, 10:24:11 am »

When I built my Remora from the free Model Maker December 1964 plan I also built a Suzie Q a few months later when this plan was featured in a later magazine issue, and the plan was not free - it cost the princely sum of five shillings and sixpence!

I still have this plan and intend replacing the model that I had to part with (along with my Remora) when work demanded that my young family and I made the move up north and we had to leave a lot of things behind in Devon !

Both models have been missed for at least 40 years now, and so I am well overdue to replace them with this winters building project!

The Remora had an OS marine engine for power, and the Suzie Q had an Enya marine engine, but both of the new build will be electric powered (a sign of the times !).

If anyone has a Suzie Q (or Remora) that is giving a good performance with brushless motor/LiPo combination I would be interested to hear from them as I am not sure what sort of motor size would work best in either model.

Lastly, if anyone knows of a glass fibre hull for a Suzie Q (or a Remora), I would like to hear from them as it would save some building time and get me back on the water with these two classic models form Vic Smeed a little sooner!

Bow Wake

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Suzie Q
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:21:46 pm »

Check out this Video.
Seems to have a good turn of speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBo6uu9avw
There's a link to the kit with some build pictures including hardware layout.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:30:51 pm »

Check out this Video.
Seems to have a good turn of speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epBo6uu9avw
There's a link to the kit with some build pictures including hardware layout.

Thanks Shipmate - I will take a look!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 04:19:59 pm »

With the Swordsman now on the bench, I don’t think my Suzie Q build will be making much progress until 2021, but with another lock-down looking like a serious possibility..... it could be sooner....... 8)

victorianman

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 11:13:36 am »

For anyone interested, RBC models have a cheap, basic kit for the Suzie Q, Moonglow and Fury Vic Smeed designs. Videos of the boats performing are on the website. As a returner to model boats after some years, I'm going to have a go at Moonglow form Sussex Model Centre.
Geoff

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 01:38:14 pm »

I have drawings of all three (Suzy Q, moonglow and fury) they come out A4 on the jolly old computer thing ,but you should be able to scale up should you need a copy  :-)
Steamed up all the time

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 02:08:15 pm »

Great boat - saw one at Lanberris!-

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 08:43:50 pm »

The lack of progress on my Suzie Q since I started this thread is getting a little embarrassing now.......and it could be about to get worse!

When Will let me know that he had a copy of the Suzie Q plans and that he could enlarge them to any size it reminded me of a version that I had scaled-up to 36" long in 1971 - just before I got married.

That boat stayed in Bath (Somerset) and could be anywhere now, so Will posted a set of A4 paper tiles for me to stick together to make a similar sized replacement - 50 years later !

I pieced the paper tiles together and the plans will make a 38" long "Big Suzie" powerboat.

The Javelin powerboat that I am restoring is well on its way now and measuring in at 39" long, it is a size of model that I like and feel very comfortable with, so a 38" long Big Suzie should make a really nice companion boat to run alongside it from time to time.

Many thanks Will - another project to keep me busy !  %)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2021, 11:05:10 pm »

No problem at all Bob, glad that I was able to help.

Besides, I knew you were getting bored and looking for jobs to do, so I thought a model boat might be just the project to occupy your time  O0 %%

Looking forward to seeing this start project start and take shape. It should make a nice sized boat.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 09:01:17 pm »

Here is my Suzie Q, Bob suggested putting my progress on his Suzie Q thread as he had got sidetracked a bit with his build. My build was sidetracked too, but I have now decided to get back into it. It will be getting the same brushless motor setup as my Edita and Rorqual, as I intend to swap the motors between models, its an easy swap, 2 motor screws, a grubscrew on the coupling and unplugging 3 wires. Love it.
  I have a few boat builds on the go just now but I will work my way steadily through them. Means I am not sitting about waiting while paint dries, always got something I can work on. 😁
 Eventually I will get at least one of them going.....
I decided the deck and cabin will be white, so I put the first coat on earlier. I may paint a different, brighter red on the hull, I have a decent amount left of the red I used on my for ways cargo ship. It is a lot brighter.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 09:25:37 pm »

Andy, what size is your Suzie Q?
It does look good, although I think a brighter red, more like Post office red might suit it even better.
That's just my own opinion of course and either way, it still looks very smart.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 09:58:52 pm »

Hi, it will be getting repainted with signal red soon. I will measure it tomorrow, its about the same length as my Edita (far left) which is 50cm.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 10:14:37 pm »

Nice selection of boats there Andy. That red topped work bench doesn't look wide or level though  {-)
Like you say, both handy, quick and easy to swap motors between models if they can use the same ones.
Even though it already looks good, I think the Signal red might suit it even more.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 10:30:39 pm »

The 'workbench' is my four ways cargo ship, ready for painting the topsides, once I decide what colour I will be using. The red I used on it is nice and bright, and it was quite an old tin, rejuvenated with some white spirit. I love using up my old stuff! Its like getting it free.... even though I did pay for it years ago.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 10:34:36 pm »

I was wondering what model said workbench was  :-)

I don't blame you. If it can still be used, then why not make use of it. At least you'll have had your monies worth out of it then.

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 10:47:50 pm »

It looks like we will have a whole family of Suzie Q variants coming along.

My Suzie Q is being built from the original 1965 Model Maker & Model Boat plans and is 27" long.

Andy's is a little shorter at 50cm so that will be just under 20" long.

I also have the plans that Will scaled-up for me that will build a model that will be 38" long.

So we have Baby Sue, Suzie Q, and Big Suzie  :-)) 

Guess who is the most likely to build a Giant Suzie...................................eh Andy ?  O0

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2021, 02:53:57 pm »

Second coat of white on the deck and cabin, some of it has ended up on the rubbing strip but I am not bothered about this, the hull is going to be repainted in signal red, the red I used originally is quite dark. The original paint has had a good few years to dry properly anyway!
 Length of my Suzie Q is 45cm, a bit smaller than Vic's original version, I built it at this length because I had the materials to build it that size.
 If I had chosen a bigger size, I would have used ply skinning and ply bulkheads for strength instead of balsa. Boats designed to use glow or diesel engines had to be tougher, mostly to take starting stresses, but electrics can have the structure lightened considerably.
 The way I see it, there is no problem having a few boats in the building stage, there is no rush, I would rather take my time and do what I want, when I want to do it.
 Next stage will be to make up a liteply motor mount and get it fitted, I already have the propshaft and rudder fitted so it is well on its way to being finished.
 I can get it in my test tank (bath) once I get the motor fitted. The cabin still needs a fair bit of work, but its not that urgent, I will get to that bit soon.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 03:12:22 pm »

The way I see it, there is no problem having a few boats in the building stage, there is no rush, I would rather take my time and do what I want, when I want to do it.

Too right Andy - no need to put any pressure on yourself, just plod along at your own speed and most of all, take pleasure out of your hobbies  :-))

Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2021, 09:42:30 pm »

Hi Ray. I have set models aside for various reasons while building, sometimes I go back to them, sometimes not but I always get enjoyment from them, even the frustrating bits get solved eventually, or get set aside till I have thought about it for a while. I have had quite a lot of people ask me why I dont build models to sell. My answer is that you can buy them ready made for less.
The real reason though, is that I dont get as much enjoyment if I have to do it. I get more enjoyment if I want to do it.

Back to Suzie Q, I have tested the motor that it is getting, in my Rorqual, and it is a pretty revvy little motor, sounds as if it is going to be a little rocket. The Edita motor yacht, Rorqual and Suzie Q are all going to run on these motors, I have a pair of them, so swappage between them wont be a problem

Video of Rorqual motor test here
https://youtu.be/NYWFrjAMtwA

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2021, 10:46:09 pm »

Sounds like it'll create white water alright  :o

Ray.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 11:39:16 pm »

Cant wait to get it in the water, I am a bit worried it will flip, as in the tv programme 'Destroyed in seconds' but I will give it a go. My friend texted me when he saw the video and said it sounds like a glow engine.
I am wondering if this motor might be a bit big for this size of balsawood boat. I have been testing it with 18650 cells which are pretty big, but then the motor is quite heavy and I have tried to move its balance point back as far as I can. I can use smaller cells if its tail heavy.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2021, 12:02:20 am »

I expect you've already thought of/considered this, but If you're running lipo batteries, which I presume you are, then if it is too much for a light boat like that, could you not get a smaller battery as in 2s rather than 3s? At least the motor wouldn't rev so high then and would be a little less powerful.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2021, 11:03:06 am »

I have just been watching your motor running video Andy - that motor is quite a screamer!

You mentioned having lots of models on the go at any one time, and I have to admit that I am exactly the same and I also find that going back to one after not working on it for some time (often months!) can be very beneficial and previous problems can be resolved more easily the second (or third.....) time around!

Stay safe,
Bob.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 11:16:45 am »

Hi Will and Bob, the 3s Lgdame 18650 pack I made up is 2100mah, I thought I might need the weight of it to balance the weight of the motor as it is pretty far forward.
 I can make up a 2s pack if required or use one of my 2s 850mah quadcopter packs, I have 6 of these that I use regularly and others that havent even been used yet, so no shortage. I bought 5 of the complete quadcopters for £12 each and more later (upgraded camera versions) at £20 each, so I reckon I got a very good deal, the quadcopters are amazing and the batteries are proving to be really good as well, keeping their performance after 100s of charges/discharges.
Suzie Q is coming on nicely, I made up a liteply mounting plate, ready to glue in place once I take the coupling off another boat, my Rorqual, which is going to get a bath test first.
 I will need to get another coupling at some point, but for now, I will just swap it about. Involves 2 grubscrews and 2 motor screws to allow the motor to move forward enough to clear the coupling.
 I got another coat of white on the deck and cabin area, it still needs at least another one coat, maybe 2, will see how it looks after a sand and another coat.
 Cant wait to get the signal red painted on the hull, should brighten it up considerably.
Mention of a giant Suzie Q led me to look out a card cutout I made of my man size, 2 person Viper speedboat, based on a shortened version of the lesro javelin, the cutout is 1/4 of the full size boat, 22 inches long, not much bigger than the Edita motor yacht.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 11:32:40 am »

I thought I would put on a couple of pics of the Viper, to show how it evolved from a Lesro Javelin. I had to shorten it as I couldnt get marine ply long enough at reasonable prices, I could have joined extra bits on, but decided to stick to using standard 8x4 sheets.
It is a bit over engineered to be honest, later boats that I built from plans online had nowhere near as many bulkheads and didnt have 3 laminations of 19 mm marine ply for a keel.
Originally I was going to do it as a single seater then my friend suggested a 2 seat version, so I went that way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.