Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoration of 50's Linette  (Read 2975 times)

Shaka

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Restoration of 50's Linette
« on: October 17, 2019, 10:25:15 am »

Hi all,
This is my first post on this forum, so thankyou for having me. I have joined as I'm about to undergo a journey of restoring a 1950's model boat that has been in the family for some time, and any information or advice would be very welcome.
To say I'm out of my depth is an understatement, as out side of building a few plastic model kits I have no experience in the building of any water going object.
Now a little about the boat in question. She came into the possession of my uncle in the late 80's, how he came across her I don't know but soon it was gifted to me when he found out I had an interest in ships and boats. Not a bad gift for a 7 year old!
After much debate it was decided by my dad to play it safe and have her converted to remote control and electric power, this was done by a local model shop. The steam engine was removed and taken as part payment for the work done. While at the model shop one day the man who made her popped in and gave some information on her. She was built around 1953 and named Linette after his daughter. 

For years after she was sailed almost every weekend at local boating lakes where she always got much attention. Unfortunately as I got older the sailing became less frequent until they stopped altogether.  For the past 20 or so years she has sat ontop of me Nan & Grandas wardrobe under a plastic sheet until recently when she was lifted down as part of a clear out by my Granda after the death of my Nan.
There is a new generation in the family which may in the future wish to have fun and sail her every bit as much as I did as a kid, so me and my partner have taken up the challenge of making her water ready again.
I hope you'll indulge me in the coming weeks and months as I may have many questions on how to proceed with the restoration as I really want to get it right and bring her back to her former glory.
As soon as I am able I will uplaod a few photos as she is today.
All the best
Michael

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Restoration of 50's Linette
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:26:58 pm »

Welcome Michael to the world of Mayhem!  Your project sounds very interesting and I think we all look forward to seeing some pictures and watching progress.  Do ask questions - there will nearly always be someone here to offer advice, whatever the topic. Of course, you are likely to get two or three different views, but that is part of the fun, figuring out who is most convincing!  Many newcomers seem to have initial problems getting pictures attached to their posts, so if that poses a problem for you, there will be plenty of suggestions as to the best way.

Happy building

Greg

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:41 pm »

Hi Shaka, welcome to the band of brothers.  I look forward to seeing some photos so we can get an idea of what you are doing.
I have done a few restorations and one ressurrection, so can sympathise with your task.
regards
Roy

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:48 am »

Hi all,
As SailorGreg did prophesied I'm finding difficult to post any images. I have linked to some of the photos but I do not know how long they will remain up, I've also scaled them right back to be of a practical size.

If you know of any better image hosting sites please let me know as I have two photos of the boat in full and in landscape but they will not upload for some reason. So here are the only 3 photos I could get to upload.

As you can see she not in overly bad shape but she does need a lot of work. The first step will be to strip off the paint and have a good look at the condition of the hull. I have noticed damage to the foward part of the keel which will need attention.

All The Best
Michael

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:54:21 am »

Evening Michael.......just a few thoughts

1. rather than racing in & stripping the complete paint from the hull, consider gently sanding a small section with cork block & paper toward the bow....say 3" x 3"........stripping the complete hull could uncover building matters that were best left under paint & away from view
2. this will provide an understanding as to the construction [presumably plank on frame] and importantly also an understanding if complete removal of the hull paint is actually required, or could a complete localised sanding be acceptable
3. painting systems from the 50's will probably have been oil based, however modern day compatible paint products should be available with 70 year old paint if is is intact
4. as Greg mentioned, members here on MBM will have a vast knowledge on the appropriate paints to use

Keep us posted with your restoration progress

Derek

PS...is that  a Hofner Ignition voilin [shaped] bass guitar in the background? [+ another three x 4 string guitars {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:58:51 am »

Interesting glimpse of a few guitars & basses behind the model! I'm a working bass player myself.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:00:44 am »

Hi all,
Basses and guitars were quite the passion of mine back in the day when I was young and over paid, tho I do have a couple of German made Hofner 500/1 the one in the stand is a Epiphone Viola bass. Its a nice bass but is in need of a good set of T. I Jazz flats!  ok2
As to the boat thankyou for the information, I may sand it down a little by the damage at the keel to see what its like under there. I'm hoping to keep as much of the original work as I can after all its a shame to remove it after so long. I'm hoping to float her in the next couple of days to see if she will take on water or not.
Here is a look at some of the damage toward the bow

If I remember rightly most of this damage came form an incident when after 20 or so minutes of sailing she went out of control. In a panic we looked around to see if we could spot what we already knew, that someone had started using the same crystal set as we were using. Sure enough on the other side of the pond was a young lad flying a blue ribbon just like we were and looking very puzzled as to why his boat was not moving. We ran round to ask him to stop while we would change our crystal set but as we got to him, Linette ran head on into the brick side of the pond, with a stomach turning crunch.
All The Best
Michael 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:12:54 am »

Michael......

If you floated & wetted timbers [internal and external] that had been dry for say 20 years.......the result could be swelling and wetting of the wood which is of little use to you........the subsequent drying out process would also delay your refurbishment

'a bit like immersing a non water proof watch in water, then opening it up to see if it leaked'

Mechanical sanding to a section of the externals [hull, deck, & hull to deck interface, bilge. keel etc]......would provide a better understanding of the integrity of hull structure and planking

Re-sealing of the dry internals may be a preferable first step  O0

Why not post a few images of the internals together images of the sanded sections of the externals......it will help members with their recommendations

The damage you show to the bow is cosmetic only..........there is little that cannot be rectified

Derek 
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 12:00:52 pm »

Thank you for the advise,

I will try and put a few photos of the interior up as soon as I can. The model shop in the early 90’s covered the inside with a fair bit of silicone around the frames and shafts. I’m not sure if she was originally taking on water or it was done as a preventative measure.

All the best

Michael

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 12:27:21 pm »

Silicone sealants Michael are the work of NASA for use in air conditioned Laboratories, or as some proffer the work of the Devil

These synthetic materials are of little real use in marine engineering [full size or model size]

Unfortunately, after the application of such material, the removal is extremely difficult

Tung Oil, was used in 400 BC to help waterproof wooden Chinese sailing craft....it is available 2419 years later at any reputable paint store.....

I'll lay you 10:1 that the Model shop from the early 90's is not performing such Silicone work  <*<   today

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 03:13:03 pm »

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 03:17:40 pm »

Soory about the lack of text in the last post but i was having a bit of a nightmare uploading and linking in the photos.
We have removed the moter and ballast to give a clear view of the inside of the hull. The photos run from looking aft.
All The Best
Michael
P.S Derek, your right the shop closed down a long time ago.

Shaka

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 03:23:15 pm »

We have also started removing a lot of the deck items to star and work on them in order to clean them up, as a result she is looking a little bare.

All The Best
Michael

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 05:00:36 pm »

Well, as far as I can tell from the photos, that looks like a nicely built boat without any major flaws or bodges.  It should be a good sound basis for your restoration.  As Derek mentioned, silicone sealant can give you problems because even when removed it can leave a residue that defeats paint, glue and anything else you try to put on top.  I suggest a wash with soapy water followed by a good rub down with abrasive, then cleaning with acetone.  That should get rid of the nasties, although it will of course take away a lot of the paint on the area affected. But better that than struggle with the after effects of the silicone for ever and a day.

Happy renovating!

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.