Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HAS ANYONE GOT A SPARE 16" s/s prop sharft with a silver outer tube for sale  (Read 5575 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

HI all has a anyone got a spare S/S PROP sharft 16" X 6MM SLIMLINE with a silver outer tube for me to buy
chris

RST

Did none of the previously mentioned shops have any in the end? I think the sports and model shop near me in dingwall might have them also. No on-line ordering but they will post out. They had long ones for months, obv. not a good seller. Think I got the last of the short ones 6+ months ago.

Hope that helps,

Rich

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

HI Rich no no  one has got one ive treid severall places so it looks like i'll have to fit the brass one in when the ship nr finshed an  then paint it with silver hammerite paint its a damm  nuisance  >>:-( <:( as things keep closein down but no choise if I want to finish the model
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

16 inch is a very long shaft and quite unusual. If you can get a brass one at the required diameter then go with that and paint all the shafts with chrome model paint so they all look the same.

As I said on your other thread you should not need to remove the tubes in the future in any normal circumstances. In the very unlikely event that you do then paint stripper will remove the paint to allow you to extract the tube through the A frame.

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Chris, did you try Cornwall model boats?
Those proptube / shafts are still showing on their website.

Regards,
Ray.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

16 inch is a very long shaft and quite unusual. If you can get a brass one at the required diameter then go with that and paint all the shafts with chrome model paint so they all look the same.

As I said on your other thread you should not need to remove the tubes in the future in any normal circumstances. In the very unlikely event that you do then paint stripper will remove the paint to allow you to extract the tube through the A frame.

Colin

HI Colin cheers for info an yes that looks like what im gonna have to do
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Chris, did you try Cornwall model boats?
Those proptube / shafts are still showing on their website.

Regards,
Ray.

HI Ray yes I did try cornwall model boats an they sent me one thinking it was a silver outer tube s/s sharft it came today an guess what it was a brass one an my wife phoned them an they said sorry its a mistake an they goin to update their site an as I already have one  so I sent it back to them for a refund
chris

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer

Doh!  >:-o

Regards,
Ray.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Doh!  >:-o

Regards,
Ray.

MY feelings exackly Ray  :(( an im >>:-( but got to face facts im afraid
chris

RST

Just checked mine, it's 14" and I got it for cutting down to shorter ones.  No sale sorry.

Did you try scoonie hobbies?  It was their "ludicrously long" ones on sale at the counter I noticed last week which made me ask about shorter ones which they had behind the counter.

I'd agree with others 450mm is a bit long for a 4mm shaft in any off the shelf circumstance ...but if that's what you desire!  My life is full of part completed things and ruined because I can't get the last to complete what started as a simple exercise!

Rich

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Just checked mine, it's 14" and I got it for cutting down to shorter ones.  No sale sorry.

Did you try scoonie hobbies?  It was their "ludicrously long" ones on sale at the counter I noticed last week which made me ask about shorter ones which they had behind the counter.

I'd agree with others 450mm is a bit long for a 4mm shaft in any off the shelf circumstance ...but if that's what you desire!  My life is full of part completed things and ruined because I can't get the last to complete what started as a simple exercise!

Rich

HI Rich whats
scoonie hobbies  email address ? if you don't mind tellin me as ive never heard of them before an I need long sharfts as the ship im building is fairly big an if I put in short shafts they will be pointing downward an I don't want that as I want the prop faceing backwards so it thrusts the ship forward as ive seen in my time people turn up with a lovly model but spoiled by the prop sharfts pointing downwards an then when runnin the props are tryin to lift the boat out of the water rather than propel it along
[/size][/color]
chris

RST

Re: HAS ANYONE GOT A SPARE 16" s/s prop shaft wit a silver outer tube for sale
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 11:07:48 pm »

Did you try them on Google? That's all I ever go by, you have all the details I use. Worth a shot. No promises.

....they're in kirkaldy if you're not confident there's more than one. Worth a try.

big_bri

• Full Mayhemer

Try model shop leeds..I use them all the time......JP 16" Stainless Steel M4 Boat Prop Shaft 5511190
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Brian

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer

The model Dockyard also appear to have 3 in stock https://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/Fineline_Propshafts.html
Might be a good idea to ring before ordering to make sure they are the stainless steel ones, and not the brass as you've already had the wrong one sent once
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Is it just me?....as I have a mixed understanding in the material composition  %)  [and construction  {-) ] of this component as offered in an earlier posting

It is clear in the latter posting of the Model Dockyards offering as lists the various material combinations selections :-)) ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

HI guys RST  an  big _ bri an leaky bottom   an derek  many thanks for your help my wife is gonna phone up for me as I have a hearing prob an cant use the phone so i'll see what turns up but she phoned up last time an we insisted the sharft must be s/s an outer sharft must be  silver an not brass but things dint  go right so we 'll have another go cheers all
[/size][/color]
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Is it just me?....as I have a mixed understanding in the material composition  %)  [and construction  {-) ] of this component as offered in an earlier posting

It is clear in the latter posting of the Model Dockyards offering as lists the various material combinations selections :-)) ..... Derek

HI Derek  lets hope I can get one from there as I emailed a chap who makes the sharfts an other boat bits an he told me due to the steel mills closeing he cannot get any more S/S TUBE anywhere an said I would have to accept the brass sharfts  so I hope you understand my delima
chris

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

Well Chris......I find some simple electrical criterial a little difficult to comprehend, but if I ask for a garden spade, I expect a metal blade with a wooden shaft & handle.......

Having said this, last Saturday I went to the storage shed at our Steam Club grounds to get a straw broom to sweep some grass that I had blown over on concrete with the ride on mower

Straw broom?  >>:-(  .....no such thing left..... plastic bristles in the shape of a broom and complete with a 5 ft aluminium handle {-)

Derek

PS....stainless tube.........millions of tons in all sizes available on the world markets....it is a pity some resort in telling PORKIES as their excuses
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

HI guys well the model dock yard warns at the start of the page on prop sharfts that they might only be able to send brass ones as caldercraft sends them an they don know wheather it will be silver or brass. So they will send whatever they can get so we will give them a ring Monday morn an see what they say but to me it don't look to hopefull but cheers guys for your help
[/size][/color]
Chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Looking online it appears that most 6mm SS tube on offer has 1mm or 1.5mm wall so there is no space for inserting bearings with a 4mm shaft and I would say that a 4mm shaft is necessary for 16 inch length to keep it straight.

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Looking online it appears that most 6mm SS tube on offer has 1mm or 1.5mm wall so there is no space for inserting bearings with a 4mm shaft and I would say that a 4mm shaft is necessary for 16 inch length to keep it straight.

Colin

HI Colin not sure what you mean about the 6mm sharfts not havin enough room for a 4mm sharft ? well they do as ive got 4  x 6mm x 16" x4mm sharfts in my boat box  but trouble is only 3 are silver an one bloomin brass one  >>:-(
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Chris,

I think I have a solution for you. Please PM me your email address and I will pass the message on.

Re my previous post I meant that if the tube is 6mm and the wall is 1mm thick then the internal diameter will be 4mm which is the same as the shaft so it would fit in the tube but the slightest bend would cause it to bind as there is no room to insert bearings at each end.

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer

Chris,

I think I have a solution for you. Please PM me your email address and I will pass the message on.

Re my previous post I meant that if the tube is 6mm and the wall is 1mm thick then the internal diameter will be 4mm which is the same as the shaft so it would fit in the tube but the slightest bend would cause it to bind as there is no room to insert bearings at each end.

Colin

HI Colin well my sharfts have  bearings fitted in both ends an now sendin you my email address by pm
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

Hi Chris,
I have sent you an email which should resolve all your problems (hopefull!y!).

Sorry I can't post details on the forum as it is a special offer arrangement.

Colin

RST

Just out of sports and model shop in dingwall and looked like they have one M4 X 16" assembly left amongst a bunch of 14", threaded both ends like seems to be the norm now. £15 something on the sticker.

Hope that helps if you're still struggling for one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.