Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fremantle  (Read 1983 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Fremantle
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:06:15 pm »

Pictures from Pirate Pete!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Fremantle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:07:37 pm »

More...

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:08:49 pm »

Last couple....

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 02:12:29 pm »

Don't you just love the sleek graceful lines of a car carrier!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 03:27:09 pm »

Instructions for building a model:

First get a brick...
Don't Assume Check

mogsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:39:52 pm »

Lovely pictures there of the port of Freeo.
SWMBO and I were lucky enough to spend 2 weeks in Perth and surrounding area on honeymoon back at the turn of the millennium.
The trip down the Swan river to Rottnest island was so good we did it twice during our stay.
Fond memories also of a road trip south of Perth taking in Bunbury, Margaret River (Great wines!) and ending up in Albany.  Worth  a mention is the old Whaling station at Denmark so named because of the Danish settlers who'd come for the whales. I seem to remember it was operational into the 70's. A fascinating visit.

Car carriers ???  Oh yes,
 beautiful.  
 Has anyone scratch built one ??

One loomed out of the fog large enough to stop proceedings last time me and the gang hit the Bristol Channel for a spot of Conger fishing out of Newport.
 "What the f*** is that?!?!?!?!!!?" followed by the skippers reassuring "It's miles away and wont come anywhere near us"   Scary enough when it was under way and pretty quick too on the outgoing tide. Apparently Avonmouth docks sees a lot of them.
Mogs

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:24:38 pm »

The amazing thing about seeing the big box come down the channel was that although it was only doing about ten knots, if that, it filled the channel and intimidated everything else by its sheer bulk.  The sailing vessel was an Italian training boat but I can't remember its name. 

I wonder whether you saw the old sailing vessel preserved on land by a group of enthusiasts at Albany,Mogsy?  Did you get up to the old Naval station above King George's Sound, used by the Americans and Aussies during WW2 because of fears of a Jap invasion from the South?  It must be among the most beautiful natural sights in the world. The old whalers were based in the sound and one is preserved down there too.

Whilst on the subject of Aus.  There is an old Empire tug the 'FORCEFUL' dating from 1925 at the Brisbane Naval museum (run by volunteers) at the side of the Goodwill Bridge on the South Bank along with several other older boats, including a Lightship which stood at the entrance to Moreton Bay.

The Forceful used to make trips up and down the river until early last year but had to retire owing to the preservation group's habit of dousing the boilers with sea-water!!  Now she needs about A$750,000 to replace them. We were looking forward to a trip at $50 each down to Moreton Bay with a barbie thrown in.  She retired the month before we visited last year!

More info can be found at    www.maritimemuseum.com.au.............happy days......... 8) 8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.