Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best smoke generator  (Read 3739 times)

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Best smoke generator
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:15:19 pm »

Hi,
my next project will be a steam tug from days long gone. I am looking at something abt 100 - 120 cm long, scale probably 1:25  -  1:50 or thereabouts.

Such a model requires a solid steam plym so my question is:

what is the best smoke generator for an oldie tug? Preferably it should respond to the throttle settings...

Claes

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Best smoke generator
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 06:26:01 pm »

The problem is that most 'smoke' generators use nebulisers which produce a white discharge but to be realistic with a steam tug you need dark smoke and that is much more difficult to achieve.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 06:59:28 pm »

Claes
This one is The Daddy of smoke generators, with a price to match. https://www.harbormodels.com/harborsmoker.html
DaveM

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 07:06:09 pm »

Dave,
harbor models smoke unit might be good but but the price plus shipping and customs fees --- not for me

Colin -  I understand the problem - the questions is  -  white "smoke" or no smoke at all...

There must be other alternatives
Regards
Claes

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 07:58:02 pm »

I did infer that it wasn't cheap!
From the many postings on many forums I gather that black smoke is the Holy Grail - unless you're into seriously dangerous pyrotechnics.
DaveM

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 08:07:27 pm »

You will never get the sort of thick realistic dark smoke that you want because smoke, like water, does not scale down. 
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

Tug Captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 08:37:25 pm »

Okay,
"real" smoke is difficult to get. So what is the better alternative: a funnel and no smoke at all or a funnel sipping out white smoke. ??

On a windy day I guess the "smoke" will blow away anyway but on a still summer evening??

There should be an aussie that makes smoke generators for rc models but I just can't find his website - anyone has a clue??

[size=78%]And Dave: the model is far too expensive as it is for me to enter into the minefields of onboard pyrotechnics  :-)[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]claes[/size]

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 08:46:04 pm »

It's just basic chemistry really. A nebuliser produces condesnsation, a mist if you like, which is of course white.

What makes smoke black is the unburnt particles in it so you have to burn something to get that effect, usually oil, and inevitably you will get a sticky residue on both the burner and around where the smoke exits the boat.

That's the alternatives I think!

Colin

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 09:59:40 pm »

I use nebuliser units in my models that require funnel smoke/steam but it is white ‘smoke’. There is a chap on eBay who build them (orange 3D printed items) and are relatively cheap for pre made items. I’ve experimented with different lengths of pipe that go into the funnel using a bit of aerodynamic theory of Burnulli’s principles of converging and diverging comes. My HMS Invincible triple foggy units pump out a lot of water vapour due to these trials but it is white. Some people say you can add food dye to the water and it produces black ’smoke’ but like burnt oil it leaves a residue and splatters the model with food dye droplets and voids the warranty on it too!
Unfortunately it’s white unless you want to burn stuff.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 10:23:42 am »

I use nebuliser units in my models that require funnel smoke/steam but it is white ‘smoke’. There is a chap on eBay who build them (orange 3D printed items) and are relatively cheap for pre made items. I’ve experimented with different lengths of pipe that go into the funnel using a bit of aerodynamic theory of Burnulli’s principles of converging and diverging comes. My HMS Invincible triple foggy units pump out a lot of water vapour due to these trials but it is white. Some people say you can add food dye to the water and it produces black ’smoke’ but like burnt oil it leaves a residue and splatters the model with food dye droplets and voids the warranty on it too!
Unfortunately it’s white unless you want to burn stuff.
Hi Nick
Food dye does not work . Tryed it on the work bench. The smoke went from white to very very very light grey.  I put a paper towel in the mist and that got Stained. This means as the mist lands on your model it will Stain it.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:39 am »

ClaesI have looked in to both systems,Oil vrs Water.Both can make equaly amounts of smoke. OK a water based system will be bigger and heavier.
On the flip side the Oil based system leaves a resdue and the water leaves a little water mist. The water will evorapte away. The oil resdue will stay and when dust gets on to it ,it sticks .

Your Choice.
Me I built my own water based system for very little money and very pleased.
John

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 03:50:11 pm »

I know this is a little old this thread now so sorry for the delayed reply, I've been using the Tarr smoke units originally built for 1/16th tanks for some time on a couple of models I use the mk1 metal version it's quite small so not much room needed and the 4 red/black wires can be soldered up to two seperate motors or the wires joined together if you just have one motor and quite cheap https://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/p34/TARR_Smoke_Unit.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.