Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marco Polo - end of a classic ship  (Read 3357 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Marco Polo - end of a classic ship
« on: January 20, 2021, 10:55:21 am »

Seen on another Forum. Marco Polo is 55 years old which is a very good innings. She was originally built in East Germany for Russia. Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Marco_Polo

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Marco Polo - end of a classic ship
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:20:12 am »

So many of our favourite cruise liners have gone to scrap.

It started with Oriana a couple of years ago and Covid has finished Fred Olsen Boudicca & Black Watch plus Marella Celebration & Dream to name but a few.

We actually prefer these older ships but I think that they are now all gone.   <:(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:25:21 pm »

A short cruise on one of these older smaller ships would appeal to me, but a cruise on any of the new monster size ships would not. Arguably, once you are on board you would not notice much difference, except maybe less sea sickness on the big ones, but still....
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 12:59:46 pm »

Cruise ship design has fashions. Open decks, other than sun decks, went out of fashion a few years ago nut are back now.

Large ships have lot of choice food, entertainment, lounges amusement park etc.

Small ships are often not aimed at families (no amusement pak etc) but are more intimate + can visit ports that the large ships can't / won't.

There are also very obvious differences between cruise ships aimed at different markets eg Europeans v Americans.

We just like the charm of the smaller & older boats. Viking is about as large as we would choose.

I think that Balmoral is the last of the older ships that we have been on that is still running.

Size is not a good indicator of sea sickness potential. I can name large modernish bathtubs that are vomit factories compared to some older smaller deep hull designs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.