Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale  (Read 1997 times)

Kenhsilver

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Scale
« on: October 22, 2019, 11:59:39 am »

Hi,

I am new to the forum and model boat building. Chose an Aeronaut Queen to start with. In the past I have been building and running live steam trains.
Looking through lots of posts I cannot find anything definitive on Scale of the Queen. It is perhaps a hangup of train modelling that Scale dictates all, but not so boats.
The supplier web pages, in general provide sizes of fittings rather than Scale. That is if I knew what Scale I am looking for.

Ken

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Scale
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:34:08 pm »

I've not noticed before now, but the model is described as semi-scale.

We know the model is 950mm long. Assuming the 'original' was 26 to 32 feet, you'd want to be aiming at fittings between 1/8th and 1/10th scale. Bit of a broad range there!

Maybe the best thing to do is to measure the seat height - the most obvious 'scale' item on the boat. Typical seat heights are around 18". What height is it on the model?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 04:24:13 pm »

"The supplier web pages, in general provide sizes of fittings rather than Scale."
This suggests, to my mind, that they were either unsure of the exact scale of the model, or it is not exactly to scale (definitions of semi scale) or it is a scale that was not the same as fittings available and the manufacturer went for the nearest scale for fittings.
It is still a lovely model though.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 05:08:09 pm »

Given the amount of accommodation I'd say it was around 30 feet in length. Look at images of the Fairey Huntsman 28 which seems to be around the same size.

Colin

Kenhsilver

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 09:26:00 pm »

Thank you for your help guys. I will measure the seat height as soon as I open the kit which arrived today. Probably getting ahead of myself but really looking forward to building what looks to be a fantastic model.
Starting from scratch means a huge learning curve which all of you understand better than me. Do boat modellers generally make their own fittings or buy them?
I do really appreciate your help

Ken

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:11:40 am »

Make or Buy
That all depends on your ability ,when I made Fairmount Alpine the kit was very comprehensive ,I bought some extra bits that I had no facility to make ,but all in all I made every thing else .Making your one for me gives more job satisfaction also takes longer but I had no time limit on the build.
 Just my take on the make or buy thing ,
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Kenhsilver

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 10:09:08 am »

Thanks David,

Like you, there is no deadline for this build so I will enjoy it by taking time and learning at the same time. I looked at a video of a build and it showed a complete cabin downstairs with fridge, oven, table, chairs the lot. Guess you can really go to town. I am used to adding lights to my passenger carriages so that could be a start. Projects at the moment include a 3D print plane (almost finished) and a live steam loco from scratch (just started). It is good to keep busy!

What are you now building?

Cheers

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.