Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monoperm super electric motors  (Read 2993 times)

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Monoperm super electric motors
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:34:54 am »

Hi it's John V I have three brand new in boxes 6v monoperm super electric motors buy marx . they have forward and reverse leaver on baçk of each motor does anybody still use them cheers John V

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Monoperm super electric motors
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:15:54 pm »

Yes some of us do they are great for small boats, I have a few left for more models.  They seem to last forever.  Expensive but very good.  There is a tiny 10 amp esc from Bang good at about £4.50 that suits them very well, no pause needed for reverse.

Roy

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:44:12 pm »

Hi it's John V thanks for reply .not a clue what they are to buy .just got three sitting there .but I know that they are good motors cheers for info

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:55:28 pm »

Hi again Monoperm Supers  used to sell at around the £50 mark but a realistic price with the box is about £20.  They are 5 pole motors and must have cost a fair bit to manufacture.  Although it says 6 volts on the motor they will run from  7.2 volt pack as long as not heavily loaded.  A nice quality brass 35 mm prop is about right as a load.

The last one I fitted was into a Billings Mary Ann and she goes well at half power but can stop dead to avoid a collision when in reverse.
In power it sits between a 385 and a 380 for power, more towards the lower end, these Mabuchi motors are much cheaper as they are produced by the million.  So the monoperm and the Supers are for the discerning collector! 

You may know that these Marx motors are part of a series of similar design motors.  Going upwards there is a rather rare Duoperm then the more common Decaperms and the top one is a Hectoperm.  Each of these can come with a 2.75 reduction gearbox.
But there were a lot of smaller Milliperms and Microperms made but only in orange and black and were much used in quality pre-proportional RC servos, which were really electric actuators. 
The german RC producers used these where as in the UK they used the over engineered Victory Industries Mighty Midget electric motor.  I have a Mighty Midget in an original Hobbies Anglian trawler and she still goes nicely under power.

The Marx motors started in an orange and black form and stayed that way for many years and then were re-worked into the silver grey now.  I built a 1950s launch kit as a commission about 6 years ago and fitted a contemprory orange and black Hectoperm, as I have never seen another one before or since, I suspect it must be a collectors item now.

There were also bolt on epicyclic gear boxes for the mid-range of the motor types and then a pile gearbox where you chose the number of reduction sets you wanted.

The Hectoperm when last on sale had a retail price of £150.00 and by then had really priced itself off the market but they still fetch about £50.00 and go nicely with Meccano models.

For me, I like them and they tend to be my first choice.
kind regards

Roy

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 04:24:09 pm »

Cheers Roy for that the motors are black with a red switch on back .no gearbox and 6v cheers for that John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 04:29:36 pm »

Hi it seems your motors are quite old.  The red does fade to orange.  I think the shafts are 2.3mm dia. and you can get Huco u/j ends to suit.
all the best,
Roy

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 05:26:15 pm »

Cheers Roy for info .as I said I have three brand new .in boxes .and in mint condition .what they are worth I don't know ..but somebody must collect motors .anyway cheers again Roy for info John

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:45:59 pm »

They are quite fast motors running at 5000 ish rpm but dont have much torque.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 11:15:31 pm »

Hi bob its John V ithink like you said they are a good motor in there time .will put them in my collection cupboard cheer John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 11:37:36 pm »

Hi Shipmate, I must defend them as they were the motor to have in their day.  They are only 10-15 watt motors, but test figures showed they were 70 odd % efficient way above contemporary motors.  A Graupner 400 can be up to 40 watts and these and others only came about as battery technology moved on.

The batteries of the day were the deciding factor, some modellers were then still using dry batteries.  The SLA's were relatively low amp hour capacity and chargers were no where near as common as they are today.  There was a 30 Watt class of racing boats and the best relied on silver alkaline cells with a very short charging life and very expensive.  Now brushless motors are a challenge to i/c motors.

If you want a motor that runs reliably in a small boat, always self starts and will run easily at low revs then these motors are very useful and as they are not in favour you are getting a good bit of engineering at an excellent price.  Combined with cheap 2000mAh batteries they make a good power train.  The motors are even more of a bargain used.

Viva Supermonoperms!
regards
Roy

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:15 pm »

Hi Roy well said I can see you know what you are talking about . cheers John V

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 05:09:56 pm »

I was not attacking them as I still think the reverse on the back of the motor has yet to be exceeded and still use 2 now.
As with most motors the spec is important as they are no use fot fast boats but still ideal in small tugs with a plastic prop to allow the motor to spin up to speed.
They also came with a pile gearbox, ideal for paddlers and drawing very little current.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 10:35:59 pm »

Hi Shipmate no problems, nice to know you use them as well.
regards
roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.