Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheerline Akula Submarine.  (Read 3158 times)

EJL

Sheerline Akula Submarine.
« on: October 24, 2019, 04:38:25 pm »

After decades of many aspects of our hobby I am now into - submarines(not giving up on any of the other aspects, just adding to the list) . I have acquired a Sheerline Akula  and a S class by Darnell but with a modern dive system fitted. Both in need of much work.
I need some advice please; the Sheerline Akula has two rudders one below deck and one above. Does the one above deck have to work for the sub to function correctly?
The forward dive planes don't look to have been fitted to work, are they essential?. I am assuming the dive system is that supplied by the original manufacturer, a black cylinder. Are parts still available.
I may need more assistance but answers to the above will be very welcome.

EJL

Re: Sheerline Akula Submarine.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 01:44:41 pm »

I have one private message with very useful information. This is the dive unit from the S class. Can anyone confirm if this is a Craycraft or a Sheerline.

EJL

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 01:46:01 pm »

another photo of the other end of the three compartment unit.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:54:19 pm »

Craycraft.

EJL

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:47:43 am »

Thank you.

A question; There is what appears to be an electronic self levelling unit in the rear compartment. Do I assume that the unit gets y lead connected to the rear dive place servo? Is there a more uptodate unit available.
                     Also who is the best supplier of rubber o rings , all four for the main chambers are badly perished.  Thankfully everything else seems to be working including the pump system. 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:46:47 am »

Quite a few companies make newer tech levellers. Microgyros, Engel, Bruggen, KMC designs, Tim Garrod also does a well regarded unit, but no experience of using that. Levellers always connect solely to the rear planes.

For O-rings, I use ebay, Polymax and simply bearings. Nitrile and silicone are the materials most use. Your unit there will use nitrile seals except on the prophaft stuffing boxes, which will use silicone seals. These don't tend to perish like nitrile, but nitrile will last many years if you keep it out of the sun, and it tends to be a stronger than silicone seals and is much cheaper.

Korp1010

• Full Mayhemer
  • Hard a Starboard!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 04:25:31 pm »

After decades of many aspects of our hobby I am now into - submarines(not giving up on any of the other aspects, just adding to the list) . I have acquired a Sheerline Akula  and a S class by Darnell but with a modern dive system fitted. Both in need of much work.
I need some advice please; the Sheerline Akula has two rudders one below deck and one above. Does the one above deck have to work for the sub to function correctly?
The forward dive planes don't look to have been fitted to work, are they essential?. I am assuming the dive system is that supplied by the original manufacturer, a black cylinder. Are parts still available.

Hi do you have any pictures of your Akula model, i've just picked up an unstarted kit and i'm looking for as much info on them as possible.

EJL

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 04:31:19 pm »

Another photo for subculture to help me identify the small electrical unit.

Korp1010. I don't have any photos at the moment and perhaps I ought to sort this boat out before sending you some. Its a bit of a mess. I bought it second hand and its been out of service for years.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:22 pm »

That's an early leveller by Norbert Bruggen, circa late nineties. It uses a fluid potentiometer, half filled with distilled water and alcohol to sense the position of the boat, which is the white disc shaped thing on the board. The fluid would evaporate over time, rendering the leveller unresponsive. I believe it's possible to refill the pot through a small hole capped off by a grub screw. All modern levellers are based on solid state accelerometer chips and are maintenance free.

Akula971

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »

The turn circle of this boat is not great on the surface, and improves quite well submerged with the top rudder working. I ran mine with a leveller operating the rear vanes, and used the forward vanes to set depth. Using a ratchet on the control stick I set the forward planes to drive the boat down, and this would allow me to not have to completely flood the tank to dive. With this a stable constant periscope was achievable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.