Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights - advice please  (Read 7616 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lights - advice please
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 10:12:48 am »

A side effect of LEDs is that they are also voltage regulators, at a different voltage for each colour of LED.  If they are mixed in parallel via one resistor, the one that wants the lowest voltage wins and lights up.  The others never see the voltage that they need, so don't light up.
The one that wins might only do so for a short time as it will be passing the current intended for all of the others, which might be too much.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 10:17:26 am »

In that case, the solution I used for my GOW bulbs would seem to fit the bill, with different voltage lines for different colours.

I have to say that the yellow, white, green and red LEDs on my largest tug all light up just as they should on a 3V line.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

leachim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2019, 02:01:20 pm »

Found some time and thought an update was in order. All the lights on the accommodation block, interior, navigation, stern and searchlights are now installed and working. I had a problem with the interior cabin lights which worked fine until I put the cabin roof together when they went out! All sorted now, they were shorting out on a bit of exposed wire which is now insulated solving the problem. I had a small problem with my red navigation lamp that stopped working, somehow I had managed to break the positive leg right at the base of the LED, couldn't see it until I dismantled the set up, new LED in place and working well.
I have 4 circuits, 1 the navigation lights, 2 interior lights, 3 searchlights, 4 stern light. All fed through individual resistors for each circuit and a small toggle switch that allows me to choose which lights to have operating. Many thanks for all your help, the links to resistor calculators were a great help.
I need to finish work on the hull now before I can install the mast lighting that will be on two circuits, again manually switched, I have tested the circuits and all works fine. Just hope they still work once installed as they will be a b***er to change out.

Thanks once again for all the help

Mike

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 03:46:10 pm »

HI Mike  glad I could help with something that is really simple if explained in simple terms. Your next step will be to remove those switches and fit a ACTION  electronic quad switch.

Stan. weeks ago {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ now. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

leachim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2019, 11:45:34 am »

Just a quick post to let you know that all is installed and working. Thanks for all the assistance.

Mike :?)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2019, 03:05:58 pm »

Hi Mike glad you are now up and running. If explained in simple terms then it becomes easy to get your head round.  All the best for the hols and 2020.

Stan. Beginning of this post {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{now  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.