Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulwarks?  (Read 1985 times)

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Bulwarks?
« on: October 24, 2019, 07:10:49 pm »

Good Evening,
I'm trying to sort out typical fittings for a 1910'ish steam trawler and I'm stuck on the bulwark supports. Was there a typical type or was it open to the builder? Two I've seen are below with the triangular plate variety being slightly later. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tony

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bulwarks?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:48:53 pm »

Looks as if you have two different types of build the bottom one an old riveted construction and the top a newer welded construction. Should imagine the riveted type would be 1910, welding came more during 1940's.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 03:05:06 pm »

Hi Dodes, Thanks for the idea but I don't think there is an answer to this one. The top one is 1906 and the bottom one is 1930 so logically I should go with plate/rod ones but I've got other data showing either. I think I'll have to take a wander up to the fishing industry museum in Hull to see what, if anything, they've got.
Thanks anyway,Tony

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 03:38:45 pm »

Hi, the question I offer was welding in general marine construction used in 1910, somehow I think it was rivetted, as a lot of those old small shipyards were old traditional yards, with traditional trained work force. So look for a yard which did your favourite hull and research them such as the one in your lower photo, looks a nice vessel. But what ever way you go if it is like some of your past models I have seen on this site am sure it will be a brahma.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 05:46:27 pm »

Hi agin Dodes,
I appreciate your comments about shipbuilding methods and agree about the probability of riveting and direction of research. The trouble is that the vessel in question was built by Smiths Dock and became the pattern for the 145 Castle class of trawlers converted to Admiralty spec through WW1. Smiths Dock archive records unfortunately have b****r all information. I went up there to see a few years ago and dropped the project. Loads of pictures on the web but all side shots as usual!
BUT ...............earlier this year a hull appeared on the well-known auction site for a steam trawler that almost exactly fitted the dimensions and form so it's a case of whether I carry on trawling (excuse the pun) through the web or cut my losses and go for an accurate generic type?
That said, the top photo is of the Viola which ended up at a whaling station in the Falklands from 1964. She was built by Cook, Welton &Gemmell near Hull and they also acted as a secondary builder of a number of Castle class. They almost certainly used their own standards but it would certainly be a valid design to use in this case.
Cheers
Tony
PS PM sent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.