Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackjack 29 Mk1. Flexi-shaft and cabin top needed.  (Read 2534 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Blackjack 29 Mk1. Flexi-shaft and cabin top needed.
« on: October 28, 2019, 09:50:44 am »

I recently bought a Blackjack 29 on a well known auction site that was advertised as having only had "minor" surface damage to the stern.

When I got it home it looked like it had been dropped from a height onto its stern as this had been stoved-in - but even worse it had been badly repaired by by a previous owner by roughly bunging some glass fibre matting and resin inside - but leaving the stern still stoved-in!

The cabin top has had its front locating pin replaced by a sharp tack that has been epoxied into place - functional - but rough (and sharp!).

I have now repaired the hull and it is no longer stoved-in, but the flexible drive shaft is also unravelling and needs replacing, and this i where I have a problem as i would like to buy a replacement flexible drive shaft and a replacement cabin top.

It turns-out that my Blackjack 29 is an early Mk1.

The Mk1 Blackjack 29 had a lightweight polycarbonate cabin top that had a rounded front shape - the later Mk2 and Mk3 Blackjack 29 hulls had a heavier glass fibre moulded cabin top that has a straight shaped front  - so my early example cannot share this part and I have been unable to find a spare Mk 1 cabin top anywhere!

Back to the flexi-drive shaft!

Does anyone know if the Mk2/Mk3 flexi-drive shaft will fit my early Mk1 Blackjack 29? - and if anyone has a spare Mk1 polycarbonate cabin top they would like to sell - please let me know!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Blackjack 29 Mk1. Flexi-shaft and cabin top needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:59:55 am »

Good news is a shop in france has the canopy in stock: https://modelisme.gulliver-modeles.fr/bj29-canopy-orange.html
Prestwich models stocks a shaft for the V1, which will be far better quality than the original: https://bit.ly/2WogLIa

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 03:38:50 pm »

Good news is a shop in france has the canopy in stock: https://modelisme.gulliver-modeles.fr/bj29-canopy-orange.html
Prestwich models stocks a shaft for the V1, which will be far better quality than the original: https://bit.ly/2WogLIa

Well done - and thank you for locating the two parts that I have been looking for - how on earth you tracked down a Blackjack 29 Mk1 canopy in France I will never know as it did not show up on any search that I could find on Google!

After some time trying to figure-out how to order the canopy on the French model shop site (my French is non-existent), I have placed my order and I am really looking forward to seeing it arrive (and hope I have not bought a string of onions or some garlic by mistake  :embarrassed: ).

I have also ordered a shaft to fit a Mk1 Blackjack 29 (using your link), something else that never came up on a search - I only found a shaft for a Mk3 (from the same source) - and when I checked the measurements, it was shorter than the one I needed to fit my Mk1 hull.  This shaft does not specify a length, but as it is for a Mk1,  I am guessing that will be long enough and that the length was the only difference between the different Mk's of boat ?

Thanks again for your help - I will post here when it all arrives and keep an update on my progress to getting the boat completed and back on the water again!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:40:53 pm »

Glad you've got what you wanted sorted. If you've any issues with the shaft give Dave a shout, his service is top notch. I found the canopy by ditching searching for the description and going by part number instead.
Not to presume your knowledge or otherwise of flexi's, but they come in endless combination of sizes, not just length. That one is quite odd in that it's .150" flexi, 3/16" stub, most these days are the Aeromarine style where the flexi and stub are the same size, welded or braized on the join rather than bonded inside the stub.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 07:28:38 pm »

Glad you've got what you wanted sorted. If you've any issues with the shaft give Dave a shout, his service is top notch. I found the canopy by ditching searching for the description and going by part number instead.
Not to presume your knowledge or otherwise of flexi's, but they come in endless combination of sizes, not just length. That one is quite odd in that it's .150" flexi, 3/16" stub, most these days are the Aeromarine style where the flexi and stub are the same size, welded or braized on the join rather than bonded inside the stub.

Lucky for me that you have access to the part numbers for a Mk1 Blackjack 29. 

Do you happen to have a link where I can download a copy of the original handbook for the Mk1 Blackjack 29 by any chance?.......or even just a parts list?

I am hoping that if I can find a copy of the correct handbook, it may include some spare parts drawings and numbers too, and that would help me quite a lot in the future.

As far as flexi-shafts are concerned, I know nothing except that I have them in some of my other fast boats and I always strip and grease them after every session and so far (touch wood) this strict service regime has kept them all running well with no failures (yet!).

I am hoping that once I get this sad example back together again and fitted with a new flexi-shaft that it will be also prove to be reliable and give me as much fun as the others (except the Relentless V2 which spends most of its life upside down - but thats another story!).

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:36:21 pm »

Manual available at https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/PRB4150_Manual_EN.pdf
What you're doing with your flexis is correct, it also can help if you build an oil tube (exactly what it says on the tin, a capped plastic tube full of oil stored vertical) to leave them in while in storage. Leave the props on to stop from having to fish around in the oil

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 09:13:47 pm »

Manual available at https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/PRB4150_Manual_EN.pdf
What you're doing with your flexis is correct, it also can help if you build an oil tube (exactly what it says on the tin, a capped plastic tube full of oil stored vertical) to leave them in while in storage. Leave the props on to stop from having to fish around in the oil

Thank you so much!

I have printed a copy of the Mk1 Blackjack 29 Owners Manual and I will start looking around for a suitable tube and cap to store my flexi-shafts in when they are not being used.

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:19:28 am »

Thanks to Andyn, today was a good day!

A carrier came first thing with a new Blackjack 29 Mk1 canopy (rarer than hens teeth!) and then the postman arrived with a perfect fitting upgraded flexi-drive shaft so now I can finish the rebuild and make some white-water!

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 02:34:49 pm »

Glad to be of service  8)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:45:53 am »

This project has now been completed - almost - I just want to improve on the cab fastening method and she is ready for testing......as soon as the lock-down is over!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.