Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build  (Read 10333 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:20:34 pm »

Hi, I am looking for sea knight helicopter cross sections if anyone knows where I could find them? I have searched but only came up with some grainy 3 views so far. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
Re: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:25:03 pm »

Fujumi do a 1/72 scale plastic kit of the Sea Knight. You could get one of them and measure the profiles of it maybe?
Regards
Kit

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 11:32:38 pm »

Hi, I had thought about that, but was trying to keep my project costs as low as possible, I had hoped there would be more detailed drawings available online, or maybe a model plan. There are plenty of plans for model planes but very little in the way of helicopters, I may just have to accept it and work from the drawings I have. When I scaled them up (on my ageing laptop) for tracing at the size I want, the lines end up 5 mm thick! Do I use outer edge,inner edge or the middle? And are the drawings that good anyway? I have started drawing it anyway, I sometimes get too caught up in details, but I would like my model to be fairly close,  small proportion differences can affect the whole look. I have airhogs twin trooper which has pretty accurate shape, apart from the rear rotor gear housing area. I must admit that it doesnt stand out too much tho. And it flies, so any scale inaccuracies are ok. It is a challenge to fly it tho, no gyro on this one. A lot of fun tho, and looks good in the air, the reason I am building a more controllable version, at a bigger scale. I will stick some photos on here once I have progress to report.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:13 am »

As far as I can see the fuselage cross section is consistent down the whole length.  A front view should give you a cross section.  What scale are you working in?

No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 08:45:32 am »

Hold the presses. Just found the drawing!  PM if you want a bigger version.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 08:52:29 am »

Note that that drawing is of the Swedish Air Force version which has additional sponsons on the stub wings for additional stability when landing on water.  IIRC that's the only military version of the H-46 that has these fitted.
Regards
Kit

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 08:58:49 am »

OK, but close is better than nothing!  Andy did seem to be worried, mostly, about cross sections.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:23:11 am »

Absolutely, and it's a pretty good drawing too.  :-))

I've been 'aboard' the H-46 they have in the Swedish Air Force Museum at Linkoping, and it's like a mini-Chinook inside. Which isn't really surprising I guess as that's pretty much what it is!  :-) ok2
Regards
Kit

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 11:59:46 am »

or these from the airfix version
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 04:50:58 pm »

Hi, thanks for putting the drawings on here, much appreciated. I am going to build my model at 28 inches long, which gives a scale of 1/19.2 an unusual scale but sized to fit both my materials and the mechanics I am going to use. I have fairly strict weight constraints too, so construction has to be mainly balsa with small local reinforcing bits of ply and carbon. I will post photos as it progresses.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 04:33:14 pm »

Having scaled up all the various drawings I have, I have discovered they are all different. Some by small amounts, some by a considerable amount. As a result, I have decided that my model will have to be semi scale, which is ok as it is intended to be for flying rather than an accurate scale model. It would have been nice to have started with accurate drawings, but I will continue with what I have. I am looking forward to starting my build and would like to thank those that supplied drawings. I will put photos on here once I start cutting and glueing balsa.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »

After a bit of planning, cutting and glueing, I have my main fuselage 'tube' made up. Still a long way to go but having the main frame started is a bit of a boost. Once the frame is fully glued and fuselage stringers added, I will be carefully sanding the outer surface ready for the skins to go on. I will post more photos as it progresses.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:35 am »

A bit more progress.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 04:46:48 am »

A bit more work and its starting to look good (to me anyway)

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 08:21:14 am »

Nice!  Really coming together.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 06:14:10 pm »

Thanks, the sponsons are just pinned in place at the moment, I am planning on final fixing once the fuselage is skinned. Lots and lots still to do but getting the main bits done quite quick. Still suffering from not having plans as good as I had hoped. I knew I the plans werent that good as soon as I spotted the drive shaft tunnel (on the 'roof' of the fuselage) is shown in the centre, this is completely wrong and quite a major mistake for a drawing. Measuring other drawings gave me an average position/dimensions to work to.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 06:17:27 pm »

A lot of glueing and pinning later and I have a mostly skinned fuselage. Lots still to do, rotor and engine housings, rear fuselage and cargo ramp/door. I will do some sort of cockpit detailing but I have to think of the weight. I have still to work out construction for the remaining items, based on my collection of different drawings.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »

A bit more done last night. The black and white photo shows boeing engineers with a model roughly the same size as mine will be.

RST

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 08:56:13 pm »

Nice and may I ask how you cut the circular windows?  I've tried compass cutters (2 types), holesaws, reamers, everything seems to leave a ragged edge. Best I've done is wet'n dry wrapped round a reamer.  Yours look nice and crisp in comparison!

Rich

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 09:32:03 pm »

Hi, I cut them out roughly with spiralux saw then 13 mm drum sander in dremel type drill out to my line. I still have to sand the edges, that is how they looked after the drum sander. (And a steady hand) it is 1/32 balsa so it disappears quick so youhave to be careful, very careful.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 05:16:33 pm »

I have purchased a 1/72 diecast model of a seaknight for measuring and scaling up to produce drawings for building my model, while this has been really useful, it does have its own inaccuracies, most obvious of which is paint related,which isnt a major problem, but affects the overall look of the aircraft. I have included photos which show this. The seaknight is known for its mouth shaped lower glazing, this has been painted wrongly on the diecast model, kind of spoiling the model.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2019, 05:01:03 pm »

More progress, I was wanting to build the whole aircraft from balsa but due to the complex shapes of the rotor masts, I decided to use foam. I have made the rear section with rotor mast detachable, held with small magnets and 2 wire pegs. Still lot of sanding and shaping to do, sponson ends will be foam too. Nose section also to be finished.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2019, 05:08:28 pm »

I made a start on my wheels, I used 2 layers of 1/8 liteply and spun them in my drill while holding a sanding block against them.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2019, 05:17:23 pm »

Here is a small project I had an idea for, an 18v cordless strimmer, given to me because the battery was dead, a 14v drill, same dead battery problem. I decided to mount them to a base with sandpaper attached to them. Strimmer motor had a plate that looked perfect for a 1/8 ply disc to be glued onto and sandpaper attached with double sided tape. The drill motor has a gear on it, I found plastic tube that pushed over the gear and tightly fitted a sanding drum. I am happy to say my mini sanding centre works perfectly and cost zero. Recycling is fun.

RST

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2019, 09:04:11 pm »

1. Nowt wrong with carving foam -presumably everything is skinned everyway. I just got some scrap XPS foamboard myself to start trying!
2. You've given me some ideas for rehabilitating old "U/S" tools now I can 3-D print up to 300x300x400mm!
3. You should re-title this thread as it's an interesting build rather than a request for drawings now. Ask admin to do it -its always nice to see other builds and flying folk always impress me with lightness of construction

Rich
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.