Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build  (Read 10334 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 10:57:19 pm »

Hi, I dont know how to go about doing that. I did wonder if I could edit the title. As to the lightness, using 1/32 balsa sheet helped, but I should have checked the weight of the scrap 1/16 and 1/8 balsa formers, and how many I was putting in. It waa a delicate structure to work on, sanding it caused a few breakages. Once the outer skins were on, it became less delicate. It is approaching my weight limit already, things always end up heavier than you think. The rear foam section after rough shaping, was over 40 grams. After sanding the outside, this only dropped to 36 g. In an effort to shed weight, I have removed foam and balsa from the inside with 13mm drum sander, this has now dropped the weight to just under 30. I want the airframe to be able to take flying and landing stresses, so I cant lighten things too much. I still have some sanding to do on the nose, then sanding drum to hollow it as much as possible. I still think I have to lose a bit of weight for decent flight performance.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2019, 10:57:14 pm »

Topic renamed....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2019, 11:13:12 pm »

Many thanks to Martin for renaming my topic. I will post more pics as things progress. I have cut out the cockpit door windows, cut plastic sheet to fit front window, attached foam sponson tips, filled various areas and remade my undercarriage. I had made a set using 2 layers of liteply and a layer of 1/16 balsa each side for each wheel, I used an old tx aerial for main bit of strut, inside a plastic tube and a lighter spring inside. Kebab stick was used for axles. Total weight 20g.I decided to make a lighter set using just balsa for the wheels and dowel for main strut. I am happy to report a significant weight saving over my original ones. New weight is 6g! A saving of 14g, just for choosing different materials. The whole project has taken on a weight reduction element.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 12:00:51 am »

The tail unit has had 16g of material removed. Not the prettiest, but effective. The forward rotor mast housing has had 3g removed, leaving it at 7g. The wheels and sprung struts on the left are 20g, the wheels and solid wood struts on the right weigh in at 6g. Another useful weight saving.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 05:14:43 am »

I did wonder if I could edit the title.

We can do that for you.
It will change the title of the thread, and every future post.

What do you want the new title to be?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2019, 09:07:14 am »

Hi, Martin has already changed it for me. Thanks anyway.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2019, 03:01:58 pm »

A bit more progress over the weekend has it ready for painting. I also did more weight trimming, tiny amounts but it all adds up?

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2019, 03:45:07 pm »

I painted the cockpit interior black, I did want to build an interior of some sort, but extra weight isnt welcome at this stage. Anyway two coats of paint later..... And also my new, light weight undercarriage, compared to a tea biscuit.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2019, 08:22:15 pm »

Looking good with some paint. Still on a mission to shed more weight tho.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2019, 08:38:25 pm »

A small disaster, just to spice up my project, heavy rain and strong winds blew water up under my shed roof ridge and right into my model. Water poured out when I lifted it up. Large areas of my sheeting had swollen and come away from the frames and gone a wavey shape. The areas that lifted are indicated by each pin. Bit of a panic but I seem to have saved it pretty well.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2020, 08:45:31 pm »

Hi, some more photos of progress. I decided to build a bit of detail into the cockpit, only thing was that between the cockpit and windows, this added 20g to my airframe. Doesnt sound much but it put the weight over my max. So I did some lightening on the bits I could. I show a block of foam which weighs a gram. Also 3 g of balsa I removed. I took a lot of weight off the rear rotor pylon, mostly foam, some balsa. I got back my 20g and a bit more off the main airframe. I made a guage to tell how thin I was going with the foam. 1.5mm is my thinnest bit.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2020, 08:47:31 pm »

Instrument panel and a side view.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2020, 08:58:58 pm »

A photo of the insides of my hollowed out parts. My guage for thickness measurement and a mini longnose sander I made from meccano

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2020, 11:07:11 pm »

I had hopes of adding lots of detail on this model, I was hoping to have the loading ramp operated by a spare channel but weight restrictions mean I cant manage that anymore. I had also hoped to finish the cockpit with some seats and a carved foam pilot. My weight problem has resulted in extensive efforts to lose every spare gram. I managed to lose enough weight to get back within my target weight. Even as far as cutting out the sliding windows on the pilots doors,  saving a grand total of 0.25g. I also trimmed every fuselage rib, which was a challenge to do without breaking anything.  I used a scalpel blade, bound to a dowel with thread and superglued.. this gave me the reach to get in and carve away at the inside of my fuselage. I took about 3mm off each one.  I managed to halve the weight of the rear doors and decent weight reductions on other bits. Having lightened the sponsons during construction, I decided to try and get more weight out of this area, using my extended scalpel through the windows and my homemade long nose sander to try and tidy up the holes a  bit, I managed to get another gram or so out of my airframe.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2020, 01:16:13 pm »

It flies! And with no shortage of power, my weight saving worked.  Video here   https://youtu.be/qtf1zaQAeaA

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2020, 03:45:37 pm »

I had also planned to build scale rotors and gear them together but this would have been well outside my weight limit. I still fancy doing a set for display purposes. My pylons wouldnt take flying loads produced by freewheeling rotors anyway. I have enjoyed this project, it has posed a few problems that I eventually solved, but some that it was too late to rectify. The floor has a full length 1/4 balsa spine up the middle and a 1/8 spine either side. These could have been reduced in size, also the formers/bulkheads/ribs? could have been selected for lightness rather than a random selection from my scraps box. It is pretty strong though, I was  doing a tight turn at low height and caught a wheel, rolling it over, with no damage. I must say it performs better than I expected, it is loading the quadcopter quite a bit but it copes with no problems. Total outlay for this project was 10 sheets of 1/32 x 4 x 18 inch balsa (£14 delivered) a selection from my scraps box (maybe £6 worth) and a wltoys v262 quadcopter (£15 delivered, amazing value) These are good as standard (the ultimate collie excersising device)but are capable of carrying a decent load, especially once the epp bodyshell (85g) is taken off.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2020, 02:47:54 pm »

If anyone fancies a wltoys v262, I would advise that the motors be run in before flying, this involves oiling the bushes and removing the props, I also removed the motor covers as these prevent cooling. The motors are run at first speed for about 10 seconds then allowed to cool, then 20 seconds and 30 seconds. After short time cooling I was giving it a bit more throttle in short bursts then building up to constant full throttle bursts of 10 seconds or so. The change in the motor noise as they bed in is noticeable. It only takes a total of 10 to 15 minutes to run them in and it will make the motors last longer. I found a website with lots on info about them and one thing that was repeated was importance of running the motors in.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2020, 10:39:07 pm »

This project is essentially finished, I have to add markings of course, but dont think I can paint fine enought to do them justice, painting the foam neatly being hard as it isnt too smooth, and I cant afford the weight of filling it and repainting now. Tranfers, if they exist at 1/19 scale, would be ok on balsa bits but grainy foam, probably not. Anyway, after I discovered that weight was real tight, I decided to stop adding stuff to it,  I had planned to do seats, pilot, spare channel rear door opening, scale rotors geared together and even had hopes of lifting a cargo package slung underneath. Ah well. It was made to fly, so I am going to enjoy that as number one concern rather than scale colour scheme. I am still unsure about drawing on panel lines with a fine pen or not. It looks good enough for me without them from a flying point of view but I would still like to see them on there. I am worred it looks too obvious from a distance. I have a 0.3 mm pen, at 1/19 scale is just under 6mm wide seams on the full size. Mmm. Maybe not then. Could glue black hairs on I suppose, lol. Wheres the dog? Lol. The most obvious scale improvement would be a foam pilot and seat as you can see in the windows easily. I need to see how light a pilot/seat unit I can come up with.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 09:55:36 pm »

Here is some onboard footage from my seaknight     https://youtu.be/ze7rfI3eL5A

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 10:01:34 pm »

I feel a lot more comfortable flying this than a proper helicopter. It seems to cope better with heavy landings than any helicopter I have ever had. I am glad it has enough power in reserve to carry my mini camera, all my lightening efforts are rewarded.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2020, 02:03:23 am »

***Topic split***
New topic here [size=78%]https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64360.0.html[/size]
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2020, 08:55:36 pm »

Here is the little airhogs twin trooper that inspired me to build my seaknight, it is a challenge to fly!  https://youtu.be/LSMsyrnDdpQ

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2020, 02:09:25 pm »

I had a couple of flights with the seaknight yesterday while a second coat of yellow was drying on my jetranger. The seaknight doesn't display the same tail dip that the jetranger does. It flies well, I seem to have removed enough weight for it to cope well with what's left. Next thing to do on it is markings, even just a few to add to the look.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2020, 11:38:54 pm »

I was given a set of ditigal scales capable of weighing my helicopters I could only weigh to 100g accurately before. Now I can say that ready to fly with standard 7.4v 850 mah battery it weighs in at 415g. 50g heavier than jet ranger. It still flies really well so it's promising for my jet ranger knowing it can handle at least 50g of cockpit detailing and maybe enough left over fo carrying my fake main rotor aloft too? I certainly hope so, I was disappointed that I didn't have enough weight carrying ability left on the seaknight to include a dummy rotor system. The two rotors would have required linking with a geared shaft so they don't hit each other. I am sure I could build another seaknight a bit lighter now I have learned from it and the jet ranger.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2020, 08:59:20 am »

you could do an iconic Chinook or stalion
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.