Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build  (Read 10339 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight - My helicopter build
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:37 am »

I was looking at the chinook but wasn't sure if my quad motors would cope with the extra size, if I did it at same scale as the seaknight. I think it would if I can keep the weight down. The jet ranger ended up pretty light, the tail boom is quite spindly but the undercarriage is 30g. All my seaknight landing gear is 6g, 1/5th of the weight. If I make chinook landing gear same way, they should be around 8g. 22g is about 3 sheets of 1/32 x 4 x 18 inch balsa. I overbuilt the seaknight, but it means it is pretty durable. I have had it roll completely over with no damage. I have a list of helis that I want to build for quad motors.
Cobra
Skycrane
Chinook
I also have my hornet wasp to build, as soon as I am happy with my plans.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »

Having just received 12 sheets of 1/32 x 4 x 36 inch balsa through the post, it is tempting me towards building the skycrane. I would be building it to the same scale as the seaknight, I would have built the jet ranger at that scale as well, but I had the rotors as close together as they could go. To be honest, making the jet ranger at 4 feet long instead of my ones 3 feet would have resulted in better handling characteristics, I think I could have built it at about same weight as the seaknight. Anyway, the skycrane works out around the 45 inch mark. But I am relying on its spindly structure to keep the weight down for such a big heli.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2020, 06:18:53 pm »

Several years ago..I built a skycrane bodyshell for a walkera 5#8 Co axial helicopter. Again, weight was critical. Also the rotor wash was blowing down on the tail boom causing a pendulum effect.
This video shows that it did manage to fly though.
https://youtu.be/ro5GQToqkdc

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2020, 10:25:49 pm »

Having not commented on my seaknight for some time, I thought I should report on it. It flies exceptionally well, exactly as I had hoped and maybe even a bit better as I got a bit carried away with my lightening measures. It flies better than the jetranger. The only thing I think I really have to do is work out a better way of hingeing the rear ramp / top hatch as they are just held on with grey painted masking tape at the moment, and I mean just held on. I could just glue them in, but I want them to open as I still have a spare channel if I can build a light enough operating mechanism. Not critical that I have that but would be nice feature. Even if it turns out the ramp just hangs with threads supporting it that would do me.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2020, 10:30:47 pm »

I have decided to tidy up the ramp area by removing all my grey painted masking tape hinges and holding closed bits, I was going to try and hinge it all properly, but weight prevents that so I have tack glued it all together so I can fly it without bits dropping off
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.