Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with making scale sails for a Fifie "Swan"  (Read 2486 times)

rcminiman

Help with making scale sails for a Fifie "Swan"
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »

Hi guys,
 Ive been building a scale model of the Scottish Fifie "Swan" from Shetland, and im nearly ready to make the sails for her.
What material am I looking for firstly, and whats the best way to make them. Im no seamstress, so will decant that job to a better lady!!

Build thread is here- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714572

I look forward to the guru replys.

Barry
 :)

MCR

Re: Help with making scale sails for a Fifie "Swan"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »

Poplin cotton worked well for me, I have also looked at calico which I think looks even better

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:31:41 pm »

I used some sort of cotton/terylene mix that was light and close woven and to get the Thames barge rust color, which appears similar to your fifie I first tried Dylon but that wasn't the right shade so I dumped them in a bucket of fence preservative solution that I had left over and it came out pretty good  :D so let your imagination roam free !

Mike

rcminiman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 04:35:39 pm »

Hi guys, and thanks for the prompt answers. O0
I will go and see the nice ladies at the local sewing shop and see what they have.
I was told that staining with tea will work. I have tried scrap cloth dipped into wood stain. Dark oak stain seems good on a cream coloured cloth.
Glad I found this place now!

Barry

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:13 am »

Barry,

I have found that the way to eliminate first-filght-nerves is to either make the plane too light to damage itself, or so low in investment you don't care a hoot

Then they all fly.

Similarly if you develop your sail plan (probably in cardboard) and cut a trial suit from available material it will take a very short time and give you freedom to learn about the fittings, rig, sheeting without worry about stitching, footropes and getting the cringles (nasty, that)

I see that Swan has ochre sails - fortunately the free swatches of trial sail material come in a variety of browns and reds, or can be persuaded that way.

The trial triangles may be obtained at this time of year from any seaside bin.  Often in a choice of colour and size, but please try to avoid any umbrella advertising Martini uness you want this shade of green! ;D

Pic attached of templates for my Footy (Razor) sails and a selection of free swatches

Better scale sails from drafting linen, well washed to remove the size the other natural materials that you are being pointed towards.

The Thames Barge model experts in AMBO tend, I think to dye their natural sails in brown dylon then adjust by arcane methods involving cold beverages and prayer

BTW, I have sailed a Thames Barge with newly dressed sails.

Colourful.      Very.   For weeks. 

rcminiman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:48:22 pm »

Hiya all, and thanks for the ideas/info.

I have obtained some thin/well washed/used cotton sheets that will do the job lovely.
Im waiting on a copy of an old 20's article on sail making to come home so I can get sewing! :)

Which bins are you raking through Andrew!? I wouldnt mind some freebies like that, but no chance up here!

The Swan is nearly ready for her first sail, but using motor. :embarrassed:

Pop over to the "other" forum and say hi if your interested. I will also begin using here to post new builds.

Barry O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.