Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wee Nip  (Read 3883 times)

BlazingPenguin

Wee Nip
« on: October 02, 2007, 07:16:20 pm »

As a club project, several of our members decided to have a go at what at first glance, looked like a simple enough project.
Copies of the plan and DVD were sourced and we set to work, to say things were interesting would be an understatement.
Has anyone else built this and had problems with the templates and other anomalies in building?

Sunday afternoon saw 4-5 nips ready for the off, but were thwarted by the absolute flat calm!!!!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Wee Nip
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:32:07 pm »

I built mine from the plans downloaded from the internet. The only construction problem I has was of my own making, I built the hull upside down as per the instructions and marked the sides with the word 'top' for the deck edge. Guess where I positioned the edge marked top when I assembled the hull - that's right at the top, but the hull was being built upside down!  :D The worst part was that having disassembled the hull I did it again.  :embarrassed: So I now have one boat with a hull that was assembled 3 times.

Other problems were minor and nothing to do with the plan. I used a wooden mast so the designed mast foot Assembly would not work as it seized when wet (not good in a boat). I couldn't source mylar in sheets bigger than A3 so my sail is a bit patchwork.

She sails very well and I'm contemplating building another but as a twin rig as per the later MMI article. Number 99 on my list of 100 things to do  :laugh:

Hope you enjoy your sailing

Doug
Don't Assume Check

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 09:45:56 pm »

Looks good to me Doug....
Must confess to going down the 'inverted' road too and mad another rather than waste time remedying my mistake, we found some of the templates to be a bit 'out'too.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 11:11:58 pm »

Don't recall any problems with the templates. Just read my build log, no problems recorded but the build did take a lot longer than anticipated. Xmas to April 2003.  ???

However, a nice little boat. Hope youhave as much fun as I've had.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:02:11 am »

Hi there,
I built my WEE NIP some 3 years ago. Down loaded the plan from StrathClyde web site then redrew it to the 700mm length.
Proceeded with the build without the benefit of the Video so my build method and materials differed, plus it has a few more bits and pieces in its construction than what they show in the video, ( I finally got hold of a copy to try and get some other club members interested).
The end result has been most satisfying and being easy to rig and sail the youngsters who come round the pond all manage to make it go without too much trouble.
I used 1.5mm ply for the hull and 3/8" aluminium tube for the mast and covered the hull with resin and fibreglass tissue. Couldn't locate any Mylar for the sail so settled with the stuff they use for waterproof labels that are printed for the freezing industry. Works OK all put together with double-sided tape.
It came in at around 2.2kgs a bit over weight.
A good ship recommend it as an exercise to anybody.
Bob Ferguson, NZ
PS Have another hull all but finished and am contemplating rigging it as a Cat Schooner ie 2 mast with no headsails, to set the max sail area with less top windage in an "over scale breeze".

romainpek

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:59:41 am »

It's true that it is a bit heavy... My RG 65 must be around 1.1 kg

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 10:10:34 am »

Hello Romainpek,
The Graeme Bantock WEE NIP design is an interpretation to fit within STRATHCLYDE class RC yacht rules.
Yes 2.2kg is on the heavy side but the class rules stipulate that the total mass of the rigged hull should not be less than 2kg, therefore I was reasonably satisfied with my result. (Page 3 of rules)
I don't have any competition out here (Invercargill, New Zealand) yet so not a problem.    If I was over your side of the world with a lot more "sailors" they I would, I think, carry on like all competative yachties the world over, and sticking within the parameters of the rules becomes a hot topic. 
Can't be bothered with Protest Committees etc. myself so it suits me fine to be the only one and like you I sail to enjoy it. Watching the kids find themselves making it go with out a motor is as much a reward as building it was. 
Good sailing, Cheers, Bob

romainpek

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 02:16:13 am »

If I was over your side of the world with a lot more "sailors"

Ha ! I'm in Beijing, China, and I can tell you that sailors are very few !!!

martin-R

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 05:05:44 am »

If you're having difficulties finding Mylar, the wrapping film used by florists is a good substitute. Failing that, the plastic gift wrap film (preferably non-aluminised) also works. It is best cut with a soldering iron with a sharp-bladed tip to avoid tears or make sure the edges are sealed with sellotape. Weighing the material indicates a thickness of about 35 microns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.