Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Would this be legal ? ( diesel car ban )  (Read 3582 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Would this be legal ? ( diesel car ban )
« on: October 30, 2019, 07:14:25 pm »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/bristol-could-become-first-city-in-uk-to-ban-diesel-cars-as-officials-eye-plans-for-daytime-restrictions-to-cut-air-pollution/ar-AAJyBjS?ocid=spartanntp

We pay road tax which covers the car and is priced accordingly to emissions, I only pay £30.00  :-) , as we pay this road tax I thought it gave us access to all UK roads to travel on. So how can they try to introduce a ban between 7am and 3pm ?. 

I assume I am missing something here.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Would this be legal ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:32:27 pm »

Not sure but I suggest getting a classic car as I checked whether my Vectra could visit London but alas my diesel powered 2006 plate Vauxhall isn’t allowed past the M25 ring road, but my 1956 MG ZA Magnette with its MGB 1800cc leaded petrol engine can go anywhere- because it’s a classic car and exempt from emissions tax (aka road tax).
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:40:56 pm »

i can take my old deisel volvo into central london, but with the congestion charge and the low emission zone charge, its about £26 a trip, so no thanks

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 07:44:02 pm »

''I assume I am missing something here.''
afraid yup we pay vehicle excise duty not road tax  just ask the next Lycra lout you cross swords with.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:04 pm »

A lot of Councils do engage in 'showboating' with ill judged policies intended to make them look good but which are based on bad science. They then find that the Law of Unintended Consequences comes into play and there is a backlash.

One immediate effect would seem to be that commercial deliveries to the central area will cease so there will be a demand for horse and carts as a replacement with all the health hazards associated with horse manure. Or they could use a lot of bullocks instead and accept the b******t that entails.

Just politics as usual.

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 08:04:12 pm »

Well said Colin very true
chris

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:28 pm »

Too true

I should have said in my last post that actually both cars are allowed in London but the Vectra would be charged like Grendel, £26 per trip so not going to happen but my classic MG is free to enter the Great Smoke!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:52:05 pm »

"all the health hazards associated with horse manure"

65 years ago, on the occasional Sunday morning, I accompanied my Grandad [Pa] to collect Pit Pony [horse manure] for his rose flower beds

The Pit Ponies sent all week underground, then were bought out to the paddock on Saturday mornings for the weekend O0

Pa told me the reason horses like carrots is so they can see in the dark  :-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 10:05:39 pm »

Colin
Reading the German rules for green zones there are exceptions for delivery vehicles, small traders with old vehicles etc. I assume Bristol et al would have similar rules. So no piles of poo.
Don't Assume Check

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 10:26:52 pm »

Colin
Reading the German rules for green zones there are exceptions for delivery vehicles, small traders with old vehicles etc. I assume Bristol et al would have similar rules. So no piles of poo.
In London In the LEZ no congestion charge. Only council and emergency vehicles are exempt. Delivery and Traders whos vehicles dont meet the regs must pay. Bristol are going one set more if approved .Lorries van will be charged and for the icing on the cake Bus. Thats correct penlise public transport. I thought the wanted to get people out of cars and on to Buses LOL.  So sorry not like Germany at all.
Since Mayhem is politics free you will have to follow the link on the first post to see what prats have come up with this.

Sadly if passed yes it will be leagle. The goverment gave to much powers to councils who are abausing it. Look at the latest pile of Crap Oxford City Council have come up with.

John

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 02:35:42 pm »

The problem is that 36,000 people could die each year due to vehicle pollution (https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/uk-air-pollution-could-cause-36000-deaths-a-year) and no-one is queuing up to volunteer to be one of those so that everyone can drive into city centers where the worst pollution is.

The government will have shifted responsibility for this to local councils, as they do with anything difficult/unpopular and then let them work it out. Local councils will get the blame and government will stand back and let them catch it.

Electric cars are a nice idea but you'll find plenty who say they are rubbish and should be banned.

So what is the solution that will be both effective and popular? I doubt there is one. We all want to drive absolutely everywhere (plenty of people hate public transport) but don't want to worry what comes out of the exhaust pipe.

FWIW, I don't have a solution and I'm glad it's not my job to try and find one.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »

Hi Derek, this carrots promoting good eyesight was wartime propoganda from the UK.  It was WW2 and the idea was to try put out the idea that our fighter pilots could see that much better as they ate carrots.  It was to explain the effectiveness of our night fighters.  The reality was they had early radar aids in the aircraft.  But many of the German aircraft already had radar, but it was decided that we would pretend we did not know!

Do you remember 'Cats eyes Cunningham'?  That was how he got is nickname.

regards Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:03 pm »

Well   this C i C  ( clown in command) thinks the government is going to  pay the £113.5 million it will take to setup the infrasructure. Not to mention his plans for a massive restructure of  a main route into the  city his Western harbour plan oh and his plans for a subway system.Not to mention the shambles we just had over the forgotten New arena ,all Smoke screens he should be on the carpet for the failure on the emissions he was warned  often enough

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2019, 08:02:37 pm »

this C i C  ( clown in command)

{-) {-) {-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2019, 08:07:30 pm »

The problem is that 36,000 people could die each year due to vehicle pollution (https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/uk-air-pollution-could-cause-36000-deaths-a-year) and no-one is queuing up to volunteer to be one of those so that everyone can drive into city centers where the worst pollution is.

The government will have shifted responsibility for this to local councils, as they do with anything difficult/unpopular and then let them work it out. Local councils will get the blame and government will stand back and let them catch it.

Electric cars are a nice idea but you'll find plenty who say they are rubbish and should be banned.

So what is the solution that will be both effective and popular? I doubt there is one. We all want to drive absolutely everywhere (plenty of people hate public transport) but don't want to worry what comes out of the exhaust pipe.

FWIW, I don't have a solution and I'm glad it's not my job to try and find one.
I seriously question the 36000. As every one dies at diffrent ages ,how can they say? Ah they passed away a few year before they should. Know one Knows when they are going to pass away. If this was True surley we should see a masive spike in deaths of road repair crews you see on motorways and roads. As they work wright next to cars .
Sorry this is just a smoke screan pardon the pun .
John

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 08:58:35 pm »

So Roy says.....'Hi Derek, this carrots promoting good eyesight was wartime propaganda from the UK'
mmmmm......the old story :-X  not sure about you Roy, but anything a Grandpa say must have been true ....and a generational type thing..... I clearly remember telling my 3 daughters at an early age the same story.....like eating your toast crusts make your hair curley  {-)

When are you out sailing on Brisbane water in OZ next with No 1 Son?............ Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 10:06:22 pm »

That's funny jaymac .......'and plans for his Western harbour and his plans for a subway system' ...we had one of those recently built in Sydney.......

Just 12 months after completion, the tunnel pollution emission complaints from motorists were such that Co2 monitoring devices were installed in the 4 lane subway tunnel…so  when the permissible Co2 levels were exceeded, the traffic lights went RED stopping cars from entering :-))

This  in itself whilst initially seen as a good idea in Government strategy, however did little to help with 100's of thousands of motor vehicles returned to the ever overcrowded highways

Then next absolutely brilliant Engineering feat by Government to get the now 100's of thousands of motor vehicles returned to the tunnel was to build massive exhaust vents along the route of the tunnel

The first Co2 exhaust vents were commissioned and hailed as an engineering marvel as Co2 levels in the tunnel were scientifically proven as reduced to an acceptable level

A few weeks later the News media reported that a State Government Primary School [located next to the huge exhaust fans point of exit] that had been closed due to inexplicably high numbers of children being taken to Hospital facilities with breathing difficulties suspected as being Co2 poisoning

The tunnel fans were immediately [but] temporarily shut down and thetraffic lights signalling RED stopping cars from entering reintroduced

The Government then proceeded on Plan 3....commence additional underground works to install massive cross sectional ventilation trunking to alternate locations  [well away from the Government Primary School......this in itself was suggested as a Master Stroke of Government engineering......

Yes, 36 months later....."100's of thousands of motor vehicles returned to the tunnel and take congestion of the overcrowded highways".......all appeared fine until residents from a multi-story building [bordering above the new ventilation earthworks  reported cracking in the buildings foundations

The initial response from the Government is that the additional earth works undertaken may have inadvertently opened a long past graveyard of our indigenous ancestors ....[the Minister for Roads offered that it is not any a fault of the Government as the Plans for the Graveyard were not on the NSW Government Planning Register], however all work must cease
A second investigation is to be established as to why or who is responsible for the inaccuracy of the Planning Register

Bug*r the motorists, relocate the Primary School kids to an alternate overcrowded School location elsewhere, offer to book the residents [from the multi story building that is now condemned] into temporary 1st Class accommodation 50 kilometers away in the Blue Mountains
Naturally the cost for accommodation, additional travel or fuel costs etc, etc must be met by the residents, as the Government must maintain the revenue from the underground tollway tunnel to fund future Government initiatives

Would this be Legal?...............Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 10:40:50 pm »

Derek his subway plan is an underground railway and considering Concorde was built here they have only just got her inside :} 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Would this be legal ? ( diesel car ban )
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 11:57:56 pm »

Hi Derek probably not going to happen.  Andrew's new yacht will not go under the Rip bridge to get to Brisbane water now.  I had sailed with him as crew on a friends yacht in the summer evening races but I joined the crew and really felt supernumery with the others all having the crewing sewn up.  My knees will not let me move as fast as I would like either and I have to hang on more than I used to as well.  I was welcomed and it was great chatting but early this year I declined to go again.

I am leaving for Oz on the 7th. Jan for another 5 weeks stay and do not know what plans there are.
kind regards
Roy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Would this be legal ? ( diesel car ban )
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 01:55:43 pm »

OK.... think we better end this now.   :police:
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.