Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Glatton 1871 - Plans  (Read 1704 times)

goingdown

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Glatton 1871 - Plans
« on: November 02, 2019, 12:47:09 pm »

I contacted the NMM recently about the availability of plans for HMS Glatton (1871)see below

I have been told that they have the following plans available (see below), but wanted to check if anyone had already bought plans from the NMM that I would be able to get copies of at a reasonable price.  I am estimating that I would need The plans highlighted in red which I calculate will cost £264 (inc vat).  Alternatively are there are any model making plans available?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Glatton 1871 - Plans
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »

I can't help you directly but if you are within reasonable travelling distance of London you can inspect the plans at Woolwich before deciding which to buy. A further advantage is that you can take a camera and you may find that photographing parts of some plans can give you the detail you need if others show the general positioning and sizing. All this is free by appointment.

Also, instead of purchasing hard copy plans you should be able to get a hi res digital file which you can then have printed out locally to the exact size you need, but you probably know this already.

Earlier this year I researched the early 20c SS Miltiades liner. I already had a 1:600 R.Carpenter plan originally published by Model Boats, a 1:1200 plan and article from John Bowen's 'More Miniature Merchant Ships' book plus a lot of photos of the builder's model originally on display in the Science Museum. The small drawings show all the dimensions and layout of major features and fittings. Dimensions such as length / beam etc. can be checked against published data. Photos of the builder's model are a treasure trove of information.

At Woolwich I took 116 photos of the many plans in the NMM collection including the lines plan and body plan. I worked my way along each deck plan taking overlapping images. When taken together with the other information above, I now have sufficient to build a more than decent model at 1:150 scale.

And I didn't buy any plans from the NMM!

Colin

goingdown

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 01:25:34 pm »

Thanks Colin, I didn't realise I would be able to inspect them - definitely a good idea.  I have a couple of plans from the internet as well as photos so I may well be able to get away with photo stitching the plans I need.  Or by one or two that I feel are vital and then photo the rest.

The price for scanning is £70 / plan + vat for the first one and there after £50 / plan.  I am fortunate that I have an A1 plotter at my workplace so once I have the digital plans, I will be able to print off a set.

Thanks

Guy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 01:59:21 pm »

Guy,

If you PM me your email I will send you a couple of examples of the images I took. I'm not permitted to post them online.

Colin

joppyuk1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 02:15:38 pm »

Very quickly (I'm supposed to be looking after (being worn out by) a three year old granddaughter and haven't the energy to check the full details, but the Polish naval magazine that posts on here had plans for Glatton in one of its issues. Only waterline profile and plan with a few sections, but might save some expense. I had my local print shop blow them up to about 3feet, but haven't got round to doing anything about them yet, can offer loan if it helps.
Concerning NMM plans, I'm sure that years ago they offered smaller versions, as I have a Devastation profile about 18 inches long. If they reduced the prices I'm sure demand would increase.

goingdown

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 07:09:50 pm »

colin / joppyuk - you've got mail!

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 07:59:15 pm »

She has a wonderful look to her. I hope you will post your build. What scale are you contemplating and will you be aiming to go R/C?Jonathan

goingdown

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 09:16:31 pm »

Hi Akira, yes I think she's interesting to look at.  Its one of the many ships produced for the royal navy during the period of rapid technological change during the 1800s. I was planning a rc build in 1/96 which would give a model of about 780mm long, 160mm width and about 5.6 kg.  I did think about a 1/48 model but that would weigh in at about 45kg so would be a bit of a headache to move about!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 09:43:31 pm »

Email and info sent to you Guy. At 1:96 I don't think you need to buy any NMM plans if you can manage a visit with a camera to Woolwich Arsenal which is fascinating in itself.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.