Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.2 battery  (Read 1205 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
7.2 battery
« on: November 02, 2019, 07:14:50 pm »

would a 7.2 3000 nimi battery run a 12 volt motor fitted in a small 22 inch boat   

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 7.2 battery
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 07:26:40 pm »

Yeah, should be alright, I've done that myself a couple of times with no issues :-)

Regards,
Ray.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 09:21:07 pm »

Hi regiment, hope you are well!  The 12 volt motor should work on 1 1/2 volts and any voltage to 12 volts.  If you let the motor run without too much load most motors will run with a 50% higher voltage.  12 volts is only an indicator and more concerned with the higher voltage when the motor is stalled (never do it please) when the current is at its highest.
Slowing down the speed of the motor increases the current due to the extra work it is doing usually comes out in heat, both in the motor and the battery.
kind regards
Roy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:23:17 pm »

Hi regiment, hope you are well!  The 12 volt motor should work on 1 1/2 volts and any voltage to 12 volts.  If you let the motor run without too much load most motors will run with a 50% higher voltage.  12 volts is only an indicator and more concerned with the higher voltage when the motor is stalled (never do it please) when the current is at its highest.
Slowing down the speed of the motor increases the current due to the extra work it is doing usually comes out in heat, both in the motor and the battery.
kind regards
Roy

It might be an idea to actually hook up a motor to a meter and try this. Seems most unlikely that the current will increase as the voltage drops. Taken to its logical conclusion, the current drain would be horrendous if running at 1 volt, an unlikely scenario!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:35:57 pm »

Hi you can utilise this.  I use 20/24 volt motors (they are cheap) on 7.2 volt batteries and the 540 or bigger size turn over a big prop nice and slowly, which is also quite efficient.  This is direct drive very quiet and relatively low current.

Also you can use a standard esc to drive a motor that has 2 or 3volts on it, just connect up as normal but you will need a 4.8v battery for the Rx.  If there is a BEC switch on the esc then turn it to the off position.

I have a small merchant ship 32 inches loa which has a 12 volt motor running off 5 cells to give 6 volts and I can get running speed just by working the stick adjuster.
I seem to recall that  GG has recommended it in one of his scale boats running a 540 on 2 volts it works very well.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:45:16 am »

would a 7.2 3000 nimi battery run a 12 volt motor fitted in a small 22 inch boat   
Depends on the actual motor and what prop is used.  And what you hope the boat is going to do.  It won't try to turn as fast as it would on 12 volts, and it will pull less current.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 02:27:32 pm »

thanks to all who  replied trying to get boat going for a young lad here  cheap as poss now saving up for a small sqr 7.2 battery     
gordon

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 04:21:05 pm »

Gordon,
Hope you are well, let me know what you need and what connectors, I will either drop one in or send it down.
Rich
Regards,

Rich

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 05:13:40 pm »

Hi RNLI you have a PM.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.