Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale ?  (Read 3998 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Scale ?
« on: November 09, 2019, 07:22:11 pm »

If a project is 137.76 by 37.404 by 19.68 inches.  And I wanted to scale it to 1/4 size is it just a case of dividing the figure by 4 ? so 34.44 , 9.351 , 4.92 inches ?. 

Larry

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Scale ?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:06:31 pm »

Larry
Yes.....but why are you asking? Unlike politics, some things are still quite logical!
DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 08:21:28 pm »

Yes Dianne would not understand the question  {-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »

Larry
Yes.....but why are you asking? Unlike politics, some things are still quite logical!
DaveM

The project I am looking at when I scaled it down it just looked an odd size compared to the original so was just wondering if there was some fancy mathematics I missed. Might not bother with actual scale but go with what looks right !! %% to me if it ever gets out of the in my head design office.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:01:23 pm »

The project I am looking at when I scaled it down it just looked an odd size compared to the original so was just wondering if there was some fancy mathematics I missed. Might not bother with actual scale but go with what looks right !! %% to me if it ever gets out of the in my head design office.
137.76 by 37.404 by 19.68 inches seems an odd selection of sizes to start with, so it s perfectly reasonable that the answer will be a set of odd sizes.
If it does look right after not bothering with scale, it will be found to have actually scaled.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 01:03:47 am »

The new sizes may seem, not right, but when finished a viewed in its 3D glory, it will look right.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 12:17:37 pm »

Excuse me but have I misunderstood?

If I want a cubic thing (3 dimensions) to be a quarter of its size then dividing the side measurements by 4 will not achieve it.  If you halve each dimension it will be  be 1 /8th. its' size.  If you divide by 4 then it will be 1 /64th. its size.
Approximately  if you take each linear measurement and multiply by 0.63 or take 63 % of each measurement you will come up with something a fraction larger than a quarter of the original size.

e.g.  A cube with sides of 4 inches equals 64 cubic inches.  A quarter of this size is 16 cubic inches.

63% X 4 inches is 2.52 inches and this number cubed will come to 16.008 cubic inches.

regards Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 04:48:44 pm »

If I want a cubic thing (3 dimensions) to be a quarter of its size then dividing the side measurements by 4 will not achieve it.  If you halve each dimension it will be  be 1 /8th. its' size.  If you divide by 4 then it will be 1 /64th. its size.
Approximately  if you take each linear measurement and multiply by 0.63 or take 63 % of each measurement you will come up with something a fraction larger than a quarter of the original size.

e.g.  A cube with sides of 4 inches equals 64 cubic inches.  A quarter of this size is 16 cubic inches.

63% X 4 inches is 2.52 inches and this number cubed will come to 16.008 cubic inches.

regards Roy

Lost me when you mentioned Cubic  %% %%

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 05:16:01 pm »

HI longbuild ever wondered what floats your boat?  A cube has volume and needs 3 measurements to work out its size.  That's the bit under your boat when floating.
A cube is called a cube because the 3 sides are the same length. 
Do you know what a square is?  This is an area with the sides of equal length.  But a square is flat. 
If you cut out a square from paper and made 6 of them you could sellotape them together and make what looks like a child's toy brick. 

And now you have a cube.

Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 05:34:07 pm »

HI longbuild ever wondered what floats your boat? 

Roy

Luck in most cases  %)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 05:52:40 pm »

Windy hammers get rid of Scale :D
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 05:54:55 pm »

regards Roy

Yes, I think you have!  :-)
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2019, 06:08:06 pm »

In modelling terms the 'scale' conventionally refers to linear measurements. For example, a 1/12 scale model of a 36 ft boat would be 36" long.
DaveM

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2019, 07:12:42 pm »

Well done Dave. That has squared off the circle on that one. Next week.....Calculus.
John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2019, 08:22:41 pm »

Dave, he did not say scale, he said size. See original post, which I also realise was entitled scale?

I do understand that 1/4 scale is as you said but perhaps he can clarify what was meant?

If I was specifying the size of a fuel tank on a car which was say 10 gallons and said I want one half that size, most people would expect it to contain 5 gallons.

Roy

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 08:52:39 pm »

Replace Size with Scale. Although to me it is the same thing
If a project is 137.76 by 37.404 by 19.68 inches.  And I wanted to scale it to 1/4 size  ( Scale) is it just a case of dividing the figure by 4 ? so 34.44 , 9.351 , 4.92 inches ?. 

However as I have already mentioned when I have made a quick mock up of it I think it looks daft so will build it so it look right, the original with the sizes I mention looks absolutely fine, its just when I have scaled it down it looks odd, possibly because of the length against the small width, oddly depth looks fine !! %%

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:27 am »

Replace Size with Scale. Although to me it is the same thing
If a project is 137.76 by 37.404 by 19.68 inches.  And I wanted to scale it to 1/4 size  ( Scale) is it just a case of dividing the figure by 4 ? so 34.44 , 9.351 , 4.92 inches ?. 
However as I have already mentioned when I have made a quick mock up of it I think it looks daft so will build it so it look right, the original with the sizes I mention looks absolutely fine, its just when I have scaled it down it looks odd, possibly because of the length against the small width, oddly depth looks fine !! %%
When I get that problem I usually find it best to use just the one side of the ruler, either inches or centimetres for both the measuring and marking stage.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 01:08:11 pm »

My take is - if it looks wrong, it probably is, check the original dimensions are correct before scaling.
I am currently assisting a colleague with scaling issues on a fairground model, and things werent working, when I asked the scale he told me 1/16, yet the diameter of the rides track was such that it didnt match the rise and fallof the track, after carefully checking against the original plan dimensions it would appear that an arbitory scale for the horizontal was different to the scaling set for the vertical the horizontals are nearer 1/24, whilst the verticals are close to 1/17, talk about a confusion of scales
to me scaling means the conversion of one linear measurement by a fraction to another linear measurement, volume is a totally different issue.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 01:40:20 pm »

Hi
Thanks, but Sizes are correct, or are at least are on the website., but will enquire.
But when I look at the picture the actual sizes stack up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.