Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Festival of Remembrance  (Read 1092 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Festival of Remembrance
« on: November 09, 2019, 10:42:53 pm »

I have just been watching the Festival of Remembrance programme on TV. Whilst no doubt well meant, I found it to be a bit too much 'showbiz'to my taste. Over the years while on holiday my Wife and I have come across many poignant reminders of the wars in almost forgotten places which really bring home what occurred. For example, earlier this year when in Greece we drove over the mountains from the Gulf of Corinth to visit the historic site of Thermopylae. Quite by chance en route we discovered the British Military Cemetery at Bralo which is situated in a beautiful location at the foot of the mountains. Most of those laid to rest there are British with some Russians beside them. The dates are all 1919 which makes them post WW1 but a bit of checking revealed that they were mostly victims of the post WW1 flu epidemic. We felt obliged to read every inscription in memory of those who died so far from home. So sad really.
Some details here:
https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/36001/Bralo%20British%20Cemetery
There are so many of these places which have their own tragic stories to tell. 

Colin

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Festival of Remembrance
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 12:02:33 am »

Not show biz at all. Very well presented although Leona Lewis was a bit much. Always brings a tear to my eye. Been to Arras & Picardy areas over the years & been amazed by the various monuments, cemeteries that there are. Sometimes in obscure locations. And al beautifully kept.
I come from a military family, Mother was a WAAF, late Father was RTC & brother was a Guardsman. I trained as a civy with all 4 forces.

Jim

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:03:49 am »

So beautifully maintained too Colin. Thank you for posting..unfortunately to the younger generation of Western Europe it all means so little....

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 01:45:08 pm »

I know what Colin means about the showbiz element, I hope that Jeff Goldblum doesn't get a penny for
what ever he tried to kill on the piano....

my highlight was seeing my friend from over 20 years ago, lead out the RAF Contingent at the end!

The CWC do an outstanding job, looking after every single grave.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:37:56 pm »

Quite long and a hell of a hard watch, but necessary to realise what those men went through . I thought I knew a bit about trench warfare, well I do now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0brzkzx/they-shall-not-grow-old
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.